hl-dt-st dvdrwbd ca10n ata wont play blu-ray movies

I have recently purchased a:

Dell Studio 1747

Intel Core i7 CPU Q720 @ 1.60Ghz

4.00GB Ram

64bit Windows 7 Premium

Touch Screen

Blu Ray drive

I have just tried to play a blu-ray movie and Windows Media player says 'Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD. The disc was created in a manner the Player does not support'.

I have tried to play it in Power DVD DX and it does not get any further than the screen with the clock that says Loading... or it says 'there is no disc in the disc drive or your disc drive does not support the format of the inserted disc'

I have updated both programs but still no joy playing a blu ray. I only received the laptop today and I have bought some blu-rays to watch but cannot :(

Can anyone help?

3 Posts

June 16th, 2010 14:00

I have loaded DVD's and Audio CD's without a problem aswell after changing the region of the drive

190 Posts

June 16th, 2010 15:00

Delete Dell data safe program. I don't know what drivers you have for your video but I had to dl drivers from the makers site for video and also installed video codes I found on the net. It worked after that.

3 Posts

June 16th, 2010 15:00

I have searched for codecs but only seem to find forums filled with people complaining about non compatibilty with Windows 7. I have Power DVD DX installed on the laptop (factory installed) which I thought would run Blu-Rays straight away without having to install additional 3rd party codecs. I have been on the Power DVD (Cyberlink) website but I cant find anything and it just recomends I upgrade to Power DVD 10 (why should I have to pay extra after paying over £1000 for the laptop already). If Dell are selling the system with a blu-ray player, it should be able to play blu-rays out the box with no additional software costs. Ifeel like I have been miss-sold the laptop as it did not state on the Dell site that it would not play movies straight away.

No Events found!