Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 22nd, 2007 22:00

:smileysad: i have lost my F:drive - i clicked "ejec...

:smileysad: i have lost my F:drive - i clicked "eject" thinking it was similar to safely remove hardware (i had a unitdiskpro with data on that drive) and it disappeared.

when i reinserted the diskpro a message saying new hardware found came up, the F:drive folder reappeared but it wasn't reading correctly - all my files had gone, and it just showed a question mark where the F:drive title was. i can't access the information on the drive

have i lost my drive? is there a way to get it back? will it be as simple as reinstalling the driver - i do not have the disk any more!

hope this is the correct place to ask this question... many thanks for any help...

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 22nd, 2007 23:00

And for the sake of the uninitiated, a "unitdiskpro" would be what?

It would be useful to know the model number of your system.

21 Posts

April 23rd, 2007 20:00

the unit diskpro is a removable USB mass storage device - datapen. (64M)

my system: dimension 8300

by way of remedy i tried to install the driver from CD but wasn't required on XP. i plugged the datapen into another machine and the data i could not access was inaccessible on that PC also but properties shows the memory is almost full.

in explorer (PC folders etc) what are the implications of selecting EJECT for a non CD drive? this is what started it all... (my fault for selecting something i didn't understand - if it had been 'safely remove hardware' it would have said it!! :robotmad: )

since then the F drive disappeared. then on re-insertion the PC recognised it as new hardware but i could not access what was on the F drive (datapen). it no longer recognised it as a diskpro and at first had a question mark on the drive and then had it down as 'removable drive (F)'.  i tried the pen in another machine and still the data is inaccessible. it was suggested that perhaps the information got copies somewhere else but i did a search and cannot find it on any drive. on checking the device the PC found no fault. i am at a loss and cannot access my data. apologies if this is more datapen problem than PC problem but at the moment i just cannot work it out. how comes the data is no longer accessible by my PC?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 23rd, 2007 23:00

USB flash drives, as they're usually called, do not require any drivers with Windows XP. Nor should any problems arise by ejecting them. So I would recommend you replace this one.

21 Posts

April 28th, 2007 12:00

Thanks osprey4, I think you are correct that there is a fault on the USB flash drive. When I plugged it in my PC 'found new USB device' again, but could not do anything with it whether I provided access to the installer or not (CD/online) - kept going round in circles.

To be doubly sure I will use the USB port for something else and see if I have any further problems, but the fact that another PC could not access data stored on it indicates flash drive fault. :robotsad:

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 28th, 2007 14:00

The more important the data, the greater the need for redundancy. Sorry to hear about that.

21 Posts

...it's not so much the USB key, it was the data loss! :robotsad:

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

You can pick up one of these for about $5 that will have several times the capacity of your 64-MB flash drive. Even Wal-Mart carries them.
No Events found!