Unsolved

B

3 Posts

May 20th, 2022 07:00

AutoUpdate issues UAC prompt to install .NET 5.0.14

Dell computer model - XPS 8930
Windows OS - Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H2, build 19044.1645
SupportAssist version number - 3.10.4.18

I have recently started getting a UAC dialog for .NET Runtime 5.0.14 whenever Dell SupportAssistAgent AutoUpdate is run by the Task Scheduler.

I have been cancelling this dialog, since I have no idea why it is popping up.

The status of the previous run shows that the AutoUpdate completed successfully, possibly implying that the .NET Runtime 5.0.14 is not really needed. If that is actually the case, is there a way to prevent the prompt from continuing to occur each time the task runs per its schedule time?

I ran ASoft's .NET Version Detector utility, and it confirmed that there is no .NET Core x64 Runtime or .NET Core x86 Runtime currently installed.

Apparently, AutoUpdate wants to install it, but does not actually need it, since no visible errors are generated. (Note, until recently, AutoUpdate was running without the .NET runtime, and without an accompanying UAC prompt.)

A couple of suggestions that have been offered to resolve this: 1) Grant admin access when the UAC is issued, allowing .NET runtime to install, and then uninstall it; or 2) Disable AutoUpdate and SupportAssist, and use Dell Update instead. If I can't resolve this issue, I am leaning toward taking suggestion 2.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so, was it resolved?

3 Posts

May 20th, 2022 07:00

I received the following email:

Hello, I’m your Dell virtual assistant. I see you've opened a thread.

In order for me to review your system configuration, may I have the Service Tag / Express Service Code/ Order Number?

How do I respond to this? The email was from noreply@dellcommunity.dell.com, so I can't reply to it, and it doesn't seem reasonable to enter my Service Tag number in a public forum.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

May 20th, 2022 11:00

@BruceSJ wrote:

... I have recently started getting a UAC dialog for .NET Runtime 5.0.14 whenever Dell SupportAssistAgent AutoUpdate is run by the Task Scheduler.  I have been cancelling this dialog, since I have no idea why it is popping up.

The status of the previous run shows that the AutoUpdate completed successfully....

Hi BruceSJ:

I followed you over from ENShearin's 13-Apr-2022 AskWoody.com thread at Why Is .NET 5.0.14 Asking for Administrative Rights about a similar issue this user is seeing on their Dell computer. Here's a bit of additional information from my own Inspiron 5584, although I don't know if it will be of any help to you.

If I run the Dell SupportAssistAgent AutoUpdate task from Task Scheduler on my Inspiron 5584, I don't see the UAC prompt asking me to allow the Microsoft .NET Runtime v5.0.x to make changes to my system. However, that might be because:

• Windows Update unexpectedly delivered KB5013354 (2022-04 .NET 5.0.16 Update for x64 Client) during my April 2022 Patch Tuesday updates and Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features now shows that the Microsoft .NET Runtime v5.0.x is installed on my system. See my post # 2439827 in CAS' 13-Apr-2022 How to Uninstall KB5013354 in the AskWoody forum, including my comment that .NET v5.0 reached end of support on 08-May-2022.

• If I right-click the Dell SupportAssistAgent AutoUpdate task in Task Scheduler and choose Run, I can see the SupportAssistInstaller.exe process start in Process Explorer, but the path says Access Denied and within 1 or 2 seconds the process stops and disappears from the Process Explorer interface. The Status of the Dell SupportAssistAgent AutoUpdate task remains as Running (at least until I right-click and choose End) and as far as I can tell the Last Run Result of this task is always 0x8 (failed) and the task never runs to completion.

Win 10 Pro v21H2 Task Scheduler Process Explorer Dell SupportAssist AutoUpdate Task 20 May 2022.png

If you launch Process Explorer while your Dell SupportAssistAgent AutoUpdate task is running and it pauses at the UAC prompt you might have enough time to click on the SupportAssistInstaller.exe process and see what threads are running under this process.  When you open the Process Explorer interface sort the Process column in alphabetical order so you know where SupportAssistInstaller.exe will appear.  If you haven't used Process Explorer before Lowell Heddings has posted a series of tutorials on the How-To Geek site at What Are the SysInternals Tools and How Do You Use Them? that covers the basics for many of the Microsoft SysInternals tools like Process Explorer, AutoRuns, etc.

Note that I normally have the Dell SupportAssist service DISABLED at Start | Windows Administrative Tools | Service so this utility doesn't launch at every boot-up (I prefer using Dell Update) and I only start the Dell SupportAssist service manually when I want to run SupportAssist.
-----------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.1706 * Firefox v100.0.2 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2203.5-1.1.19200.5 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.9.198-1.0.1676 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.6758 * Dell SupportAssist v3.10.4.18 * Dell Update for Windows 10 Universal v4.5.0 * Process Explorer v16.32 * Inspiron 5583/5584 BIOS v1.18.0
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

May 20th, 2022 12:00

@BruceSJ wrote:

I received the following email...

... How do I respond to this? The email was from noreply@dellcommunity.dell.com,  so I can't reply to it, and it doesn't seem reasonable to enter my Service Tag number in a public forum.

Hi BruceJS:

You might have receive an automatic notification alerting you that a message was sent to you by DELL-Cares customer support using the Private Messenger feature of this forum. After logging in to the Dell forum click the envelope in the top right corner of the web page and see if there is a private message from DELL-Cares in your Inbox.  You can reply there with your Service Tag and no one else will see it.

Dell Community Private Messages Icon 17 Feb 2022.png

The section titled Private Messenger in the Help section of this forum has more information.

3 Posts

May 20th, 2022 19:00

I launched Process Explorer while the Dell SupportAssistAgent AutoUpdate task was running and paused at the UAC prompt.  I selected the SupportAssistInstaller.exe process, and opened the Threads tab.  That gave me a list of running threads, but I have no idea how to process this information to yield a clue as to the source of the UAC prompt.  I'm attaching a screen shot of the result.

BruceSJ_0-1653098952416.png

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

May 21st, 2022 11:00

@BruceSJ wrote:

I launched Process Explorer while the Dell SupportAssistAgent AutoUpdate task was running and paused at the UAC prompt.  I selected the SupportAssistInstaller.exe process, and opened the Threads tab.  That gave me a list of running threads, but I have no idea how to process this information to yield a clue as to the source of the UAC prompt....

Hi BruceSJ:

It was actually EricB's suggestion to use Process Explorer in post # 2439515 of ENShearin's AskWoody thread Why is .NET 5.0.14 Asking for Administrative Rights?. I assume he was suggesting that Process Explorer might help you identify the parent (main) process generating the UAC prompt to allow the .NET v5.0.x Runtime to make changes to your system if you could find a child .NET v5.0.x Runtime process (.exe executable) and/or thread (e.g., .dll library) appearing at the same time as the UAC prompt. I presume, however, that this would require the .NET v5.0.x Runtime to be installed on your system - you can't load a .exe process into memory or access a .dll library if the file isn't already on your system.

In your case you already know that SupportAssistInstaller.exe is the main process that triggers the appearance of the UAC prompt on your system, and you have also stated that you do not have a .NET v5.0.x Runtime installed on your XPS 8930, so it's possible that the UAC prompt that you keeping closing is asking permission to install a .NET v5.0.x Runtime as Paul T suggested <here> in the AskWoody forum. I don't know if SupportAssistInstaller.exe is trying to update your SupportAssist v3.10.4.18 to v3.11.1.18 and requires a .NET v5.0.x Runtime to be installed as a prerequisite, but just note that a few users who have allowed their SupportAssist to update to v3.11.1.18 have encountered multiple issues (see links to related threads <here>) and are now unable to downgrade back to v3.10.4.18.

All this is pure speculation on my part, but if I'm correct I have no idea why the new SupportAssist v3.11.1.18 (or any other Dell utility for that matter) would be designed to use .NET v5.0.x when support for .NET v5.0.x ended on 10-May-2022 and .NET v6.0.x is now the recommended .NET (Core) version. Hue03 also reported on 20-Apr-2022 in Cannot Install SupportAssist that SupportAssist v31.11.0 launched correctly after he uninstalled the x86 and x64 versions of Microsoft .NET Runtime v5.0.16 from Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features on his Latitude 5590. I'm not sure if hue03 tested every feature like Scan Hardware, etc. but if .NET Runtime v5.0.x isn't required to run SupportAssist v3.11.1.18 I can't explain why SupportAssistInstaller.exe is nagging you with a UAC prompt to allow the .NET v5.0.x Runtime to make changes to your system in the first place..

Unfortunately, the Process Explorer results I posted <above> show that the Dell SupportAssistAgent AutoUpdate task that launches SupportAssistInstaller.exe fails so quickly on my Inspiron 5584 that I can't even tell if any of the .NET v5.0.17 Runtime files installed on my system are actually used by SupportAssistInstaller.exe. Perhaps the repeated failure of that Dell SupportAssistAgent AutoUpdate task in Task Scheduler is the reason I haven't been updated to the buggy SupportAssist v3.11.0.18 yet. I doubt my Process Explorer results will be helpful to you personally but hopefully someone from DELL-Cares will follow up with you and might be able to make sense of my results.
-----------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.1706 * Firefox v100.0.2 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2203.5-1.1.19200.5 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.9.198-1.0.1676 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.6758 * Dell SupportAssist v3.10.4.18 * Dell Update for Windows 10 Universal v4.5.0 * Process Explorer v16.32 * Inspiron 5583/5584 BIOS v1.18.0
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

No Events found!