Start a Conversation

Unsolved

O

8 Posts

December 27th, 2021 23:00

Support Assist Installer Installation Cancelled we were unable to validate a file for installation

I am unable to install SupportAssist 

error is Support Assist Installer Installation Cancelled we were unable to validate a file for installation 

after checking the log files the error message is as follows

ERROR Dell.Services.SupportAssist.AutoUpgradeHelper.SupportAssistInstallerPackage - Some Error occured while comparing hash of SupportAssist Agent setup file : This implementation is not part of the Windows Platform FIPS validated cryptographic algorithms.

ERROR Dell.Services.SupportAssist.SupportAssistInstaller.InstallSupportAssist - SupportAssist download/installation failed with return code: msihashvalidationfailed

December 28th, 2021 06:00

I am experiencing the same issue. Curious if there is just an issue with the new version or a connection service at Dell.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.1K Posts

December 28th, 2021 08:00

@Overnout wrote:
...ERROR Dell.Services.SupportAssist.AutoUpgradeHelper.SupportAssistInstallerPackage - Some Error occured while comparing hash of SupportAssist Agent setup file : This implementation is not part of the Windows Platform FIPS validated cryptographic algorithms.

Hi Overnought:

It's a bit hard to follow what suggested solutions you've already tried to fix this problem because you're posting in multiple threads.  For example, you posted in Porteno's SupportAssist Installation Issue: Error While Validating Installer File that Darkstartech's suggestion to disable the Local Policies | Security Options | System Cryptography:  Use FIPS Compliant Algorithms for Encryption, Hashing, and Signing setting in your Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) didn't help.  That setting is disabled by default on my Win 10 Pro v21H1 laptop (see image below) so if this setting was originally enabled on your computer let us know if it is being used as a client on local area network and/or administered by someone other than you.

Win 10 Pro v21H1 Local Group Policy Editor Security Use FIPS Compliant Algortihms for Encryption Disabled by Default 28 Dec 2021.png

I asked some additional questions about your system specs today in Sarfraj's Getting your pc ran in to problem while installing support assist (you didn't mention anything about a Windows Platform FIPS validated cryptographic algorithm error in that thread) before I knew you had already started your own topic about your SupportAssist installation error.  It would make more sense to post that requested information here in your own thread so that people trying to assist you can find your feedback in one location.
-----------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H1 build 19043.1415 * Firefox v95.0.2 * Microsoft Defender v.4.18.2111.5-1.1.18800.4 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.0.152-1.0.1538 * Dell SupportAssist v3.10.4.18 * Dell SupportAssist Remediation v5.5.0.16046 * Dell Update for Windows 10 Universal v4.4.0
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

8 Posts

December 28th, 2021 20:00

Thanks, Imacri for your guidance,

unable to get help elsewhere, even here in the forum, I am not able to get the fix; hence I have updated many other similar post.

suggestion to disable the Local Policies | Security Options | System Cryptography:  Use FIPS Compliant Algorithms for Encryption, Hashing, and Signing setting in your Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) didn't help

However, below are the details of my PC and OS version

Model: Dell Latitude 7400 2-in-1

Edition Windows 10 Enterprise
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎31-‎Mar-‎21
OS build 19044.1415
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8665U CPU @ 1.90GHz 2.11 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

3 Apprentice

• 

1.1K Posts

December 29th, 2021 07:00

Hi Overnout:

I'm not sure what's causing these errors on your system when you try to install SupportAssist on your Latitude 7400 / Win 10 Enterprise laptop so I'll just throw out a few suggestions and you can decide for yourself if you should follow up. The 12-Jul-2018 How-To Geek article Why You Shouldn’t Enable “FIPS-compliant” Encryption on Windows and the 18-Jun-2019 Microsoft Security Baselines blog Why We’re Not Recommending “FIPS Mode” Anymore both have some general background on FIPS system cryptography that might also be helpful.

Do your "Windows Platform FIPS validated cryptographic algorithms" errors occur when you download the SupportAssistInstaller.exe file from the SupportAssist for Home PCs page and try to save it to your desktop, or does it throw that error after you right-click SupportAssistInstaller.exe and choose "Run as Administrator"? Have you ever see this FIPS validation error before on your machine, and did you recently disable the Local Policies | Security Options | System Cryptography: Use FIPS Compliant Algorithms for Encryption, Hashing, and Signing setting in your Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) or was it already disabled? Right now it's hard to know if Dell has changed something on their backend update servers recently that triggered this problem or if something you've done on your own machine (e.g., installation of the December 2021 Patch Tuesday updates) could be the cause.

Has Dell customer support confirmed that the SupportAssistInstaller.exe file that is available on the SupportAssist for Home PCs download page is the correct installer for a Latitude 7400 2-in-1 with a Windows 10 Enterprise OS? If your Dell model meets the Compatibility and Minimum PC Requirements listed in the SupportAssist for Home PCs Version 3.10.4 Release Notes I assume it should run correctly but I've never used a Dell Latitude laptop as a home PC, and there could even be some proprietary Dell software on your machine (e.g., like the Dell Encryption software listed on the support page <here> for the Latitude 7400 2-in-1) that's interfering with your SupportAssist installation.

Do you have the latest Dell Latitude 7400 2-in-1 System BIOS v1.14.1 (rel. 11-Nov-2021) and Intel Chipset Device Software v10.1.18121.8164 (rel. 25-Mar-2020) that are listed on the support page <here> for your Latitude 7400 2-in-1. Dell employee DELL-Chris M noted in SA Uninstall/Reinstall that the latest version of these firmware/driver updates should be installed (assuming they are both recommended for the unique Service Tag of your laptop) before installing SupportAssist.

If you haven't already done so, I'd advise that you disable the Fast Startup power option of Windows 10 at Control Panel | Hardware and Sound | Power Options | Choose What the Power Buttons Do | Shutdown Settings | Turn on Fast Startup (see Option #1 of the TenForums tutorial How to Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10) and re-boot your machine. Fast Startup (also known as hybrid boot-up / hybrid shutdown) can interfere with the loading of services at boot-up and cause all sorts of unexpected glitches and strange behavior, and Fast Startup can even interfere with Windows Update (see the MS support article Updates May Not Be Installed With Fast Startup in Windows 10). It's always possible that simply disabling the FIPS system cryptography setting in your Local Group Policy Editor requires a fresh restart with Fast Startup disabled before that change takes effect.

If your Win 10 Enterprise machine is running the Internet Information Services (IIS) for Windows Server then just note that simply disabling that System Cryptography setting in the Local Group Policy Editor might not be enough to clear FIPS validation errors. For example, Microsoft employee JulieWang-MSFT noted in the Microsoft Docs Q&A forum thread SharePoint 2016 Configuration Failed: This implementation is not part of the Windows Platform FIPS validated cryptographic algorithms that extra steps are sometimes required (i.e., running the PSconfig utility and resetting IIS) after the Local Group Policy Editor setting is disabled. I don't know how you use your Latitude 7400 and IIS administration is beyond my technical expertise, so if Dell customer support doesn't know how to clear your FIPS system cryptography error on your computer you might want to post in that Microsoft Docs Q&A forum and see if anyone there can help you, even if IIS isn't running on your Win 10 Enterprise OS.
-----------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H1 build 19043.1415 * Firefox v95.0.2 * Microsoft Defender v.4.18.2111.5-1.1.18800.4 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.0.152-1.0.1538 * Dell SupportAssist v3.10.4.18 * Dell SupportAssist Remediation v5.5.0.16046 * Dell Update for Windows 10 Universal v4.4.0
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

December 29th, 2021 08:00

where did you find the log files with this error?

8 Posts

March 20th, 2022 21:00

Hi Dell Support Team,

Can you please assist, even after "System cryptography: Use FIPS compliant algorithms for encryption, hashing, and signing" = DISABLED, I am getting the same error in following location: C:\ProgramData\SupportAssist\Client\Agent\logs\ApplicationLogs

ERROR Dell.Services.SupportAssist.SupportAssistInstaller.InstallSupportAssist - SupportAssist download/installation failed with return code: msihashvalidationfailed

1 Message

June 5th, 2022 04:00

I am also experiencing the same problem after version 3.11.2 failed to startup properly. I deleted it and downloaded a new installation file from Dell.com. My woes started after this.

Surely Dell is better than this? Never had any problems  like this with my Lenovo laptops!

Wongl888_0-1654428886726.png

3 Apprentice

• 

1.1K Posts

June 5th, 2022 05:00

@Wongl888 wrote:

I am also experiencing the same problem after version 3.11.2 failed to startup properly. I deleted it and downloaded a new installation file from Dell.com. My woes started after this....

Hi Wongl888:

Sorry, your image is still in mediation so I can't see the full error message. Does your error message specifically say "Installation Cancelled. We encountered an error while validating the installer file. This may be due to a lost internet connection. Check your connection and try again"? Overnout, the original poster who started this thread in Dec 2021, was posting about a specific error logged in their hidden C:\ProgramData\SupportAssist\Client\Agent\logs\ApplicationLogs\SupportAssistAgent.log file that included the following about a FIPS (Federal Information Processing Standards) encryption error.

ERROR Dell.Services.SupportAssist.AutoUpgradeHelper.SupportAssistInstallerPackage - Some Error occured while comparing hash of SupportAssist Agent setup file : This implementation is not part of the Windows Platform FIPS validated cryptographic algorithms.

You did not mention your OS, but if your error appears to be related to FIPS then see Darkstartech's 19-Sep-2020 post in Porteno's SupportAssist Installation Issue: Error While Validating Installer File for a possible workaround.  The How-To Geek article Why You Shouldn’t Enable “FIPS-compliant” Encryption on Windows has two methods for disabling FIPS - one via the Local Group Policy Editor (if you have Win 10/11 Professional OS and can launch gpedit.msc from a Run command) or via your network adapter settings in Control Panel.
--------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.1706 * Firefox v101.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2203.5-1.1.19200.5 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.9.198-1.0.1689 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.6758 * Dell SupportAssist v3.10.4.18 * Inspiron 5583/5584 BIOS v1.18.0

June 5th, 2022 08:00

explorer_QTyzqJWx2S.gif

pertinent log file entry

2022-06-05 16:14:15,472 [3.11.2.143] [29776 - 8] ERROR Dell.SupportAssist.Client.SupportAssistInstaller.AutoUpgradeHelper.SupportAssistInstallerPackage - msi Hash validation failed

June 8th, 2022 08:00

And now the SupportAssist is saying that I am already on the latest version.
I still have the same version that was trying to update on the 5th (3 days ago) and was failing.

SupportAssist is a constant source of problems.

ApplicationFrameHost_6KEx3p4CbL.png

3 Apprentice

• 

1.1K Posts

June 8th, 2022 09:00

@Chainsaw Dude wrote:

And now the SupportAssist is saying that I am already on the latest version.
I still have the same version that was trying to update on the 5th (3 days ago) and was failing....

Hi Chainsaw Dude:

What is your Dell computer model and Windows OS?

I still have SupportAssist for Home PCs v3.10.4.18 (SupportAssistInstaller.exe installer available for download at SupportAssist for Home PCs) installed on my Inspiron 5584 / Win 10 Pro v21H2 laptop and Settings | About currently reports I'm running the latest version (i.e., that I don't need the v3.11.2.143 update).

I'm not sure, but it seems like higher-end Dell computers like Alienware / Latitude / OptiPlex are the only models being offered the v3.11.x update at the moment.

Dell SupportAssist v3_10_4 Settings About 23 Nov 2021.png

--------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.1706 * Firefox v101.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2203.5-1.1.19200.5 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.9.198-1.0.1689 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.6758 * Dell SupportAssist v3.10.4.18 * Inspiron 5583/5584 BIOS v1.18.0

1 Message

November 2nd, 2022 06:00

I was having this same issue. I eventually ran into a similar error attempting to update another software on my system and did some digging that made me disable FIPS. That solved everything.

From what I read, unless you have a reason to have FIPS enabled, it isn't recommended. 
https://www.howtogeek.com/245859/why-you-shouldnt-enable-fips-compliant-encryption-on-windows/ 

Anyhow, I followed directions to disable FIPS and that corrected my software update issues. SupportAssist is now fully updated and everything is working as it should.

I hope this helps someone else cuz this issue was seriously irking me for months.

Best Regards!

No Events found!