Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Q

8 Posts

May 5th, 2019 11:00

SupportAssist 3.2.1 won't open

SupportAssist 3.2.1 is broken! It won't even open. I am using Windows 10 build 17763 on a Dell OptiPlex 5050 x64 bit PC Can anyone help me get the latest drivers or get this troublesome program working? I am not experienced enough to make modifications to my registry so I won't consider such options.

• 

3.2K Posts

May 7th, 2019 01:00

Hi,

Please remove SupportAssist and install it again.

The following steps can be used to uninstall the older build and do a complete clean-up of files from your laptop. From Step 3 onwards, if the mentioned folders are not present in your system, they can be assumed as already cleaned up.

• From Add/Remove Programs, uninstall “Dell SupportAssist”
  • From Add/Remove Programs, uninstall “SupportAssistAgent”, if you have very old SupportAssist version.
  • Open a Windows Explorer and traverse to below directories and delete the folders completely manually if any leftover files are present.
    1. C:\Program Files\Dell\SupportAssist
    2. C:\Program Files\Dell\SupportAssistAgent
    3. C:\Program Files\Dell\DellDataVault
    4. C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\SupportAssistAgent

Note: Ignore (x86) in above path, if your system is running a 32-bit OS.

• From Start-> Run type %ProgramData% which will open a window with multiple folders. This is usually a hidden folder.
    1. Select “SupportAssistBusinessClient” folder and delete it.
    2. Select “SupportAssistAgent” folder and delete it, if you have very old SupportAssist version.
    3. Select “PCDr” folder and delete it.
  • From Start-> Run type %appdata% which will open a window with multiple folders. This is also a hidden folder usually.
    1. Select “PCDr” folder and delete it.
  • From Services console, ensure following services are NOT present.
    1. Dell SupportAssist
    2. Dell SupportAssist Agent
    3. Dell Data Vault
    4. Dell Data Vault Wizard
  • From Registry, ensure following keys are NOT present.
    1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DELL\SupportAssistBusinessClient
    2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Dell\SupportAssist
    3. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Dell\SupportAssistAgent

Note:- Incase if your Laptop is running a 32-bit OS, ignore the “Wow6432Node” in the above path.

• Reboot your laptop once after clean up, before installing a new SupportAssist build.

regards Martin

8 Posts

May 7th, 2019 09:00

I followed your steps to the letter and the program still won't open after re-installing. Why can dell not release an update that does work? Alternatively they could make firmware updates available for download.

• 

3.2K Posts

May 8th, 2019 03:00

Hi,

please check the minimum requirements.

8 Posts

May 8th, 2019 10:00

Martin, my system is running with more than the minimum requirements. Please could you suggest something helpful!

• 

3.2K Posts

May 8th, 2019 23:00

Hi,

you check really everything?

For example Netowrk Ports?

regards Martin

May 9th, 2019 10:00

Some of the instructions cannot be carried out due to the files being in use, still do not know what process is holding them. My Windows 10 Pro installation does not know how to process %appdata%, asks how should I launch, however a search of the disk shows no such folder PCDr, so maybe OK. The latest update for SupportAssist showed up silently on my Inspiron 5448 a week or so ago. Support Assist hangs in the middle. Also getting notes from windows about not installing a driver of unknown origin, not digitally signed, I decided to take a chance, seeing the new version of Support Assist, and let it install. The install results (twice now) spawns endless stream of Administrator: Windows PowerShell windows, looks like an attack. However, Xing out one window closes all of the windows, and everything appears normal. Windows Programs shows Support Assist installed, but no entry in any of the places to actually start it. Up until now, Support Assist has been working flawlessly, going through and completing all of the tasks

8 Posts

May 9th, 2019 10:00

Martin, Please suggest something helpful. If I tell you I have checked then I have indeed.

May 9th, 2019 13:00

Just completed what steps I could, including deleting one of the registry keys, and the Support Assist V3.2.1.94 installed without the rollout of PowerShell Admin windows, did a complete shutdown after cleanup.

Now the message is, after lengthy initialization startup, we ran into an unexpected issue, restart your PC and try again later. Will keep you posted

May 9th, 2019 16:00

Just did power off shutdown, Support Assist ran into a problem, and advises to shut down and try again later. I think it is really broken, whatever they did to it.

Inspiron 5448 Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit OS, x64 processor, 8GB memory, the OS was upgraded from Winows 10 Home to Pro about 6 months ago, Support Assist worked fine until the last update was pushed

Support Assist V 3.2.1.94

1 Message

May 9th, 2019 19:00

This is also happening to me. It says it is updating but it is stuck in a loop and updates forever and doesnt start. I uninstalled and reinstalled and the same thing is happening. I like the app, cant Dell fix it?

8 Posts

May 10th, 2019 11:00

I think SupportAssist 3.2.1 is fatally flawed and must replaced by an exhaustively tested new program by Dell. Every time windows updates SupportAssist can not cope with the changes. Alternatively, how about if Dell just posted the updates on its website like they used to do. I used to manually download firmware updates and installed them myself. There was no need for such a program. All my optimization needs are taken care of by Norton Utilities.

May 10th, 2019 21:00

Just tried Support Assist this evening, and it appears to be working fine again. One thing, I got a notice that I had no (Dell) Digital Delivery software installed, so installed that (maybe again) and that went OK

This is the first time I've tried Support Assist since the Digital Delivery software was added.

So the instructions provided at the top of the thread by Martin Schiemenz work, just do as many of them as you can

Cheers!

8 Posts

May 11th, 2019 11:00

rpwilliams I downloaded and installed Dell Digital Delivery. SupportAssist was not one of the options to download. Nevertheless I tried all the above steps for what must be my 3rd time and reinstalled SupportAssist: Same result - SupportAssist does not even open!

May 14th, 2019 16:00

You may need to restart the computer a few times in order to be able to delete some of the support files. Some I couldn't delete, but I was able to delete most of the actual files in each folder, and did just that.

Now that Support Assist is working again, here are the Dell Services I have running under Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.. these are all running as of now, except for Product Registration.

DellServicesRunning.JPG

After finishing Martin's cleanup instructions, the ones he notes do not show up.

I did have to use regedit and delete one of the 3 Keys mentioned, it might have been this one HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Dell\SupportAssist

Off topic, but this whole procedure would have taken a lot less time & effort if you were allowed to embed screenshots in the body of the HTML , there appears to me no difference between RICH TEXT and HTML

Ahh, I see now that Internet Explorer doesn't know how to interact with the forum, but now I find Microsoft Edge works much better

May 15th, 2019 20:00

I've been working on a user's computer and continue to have the same issues.  I've removed all traces of the Support assistant and PCDr agents and programs.  Also followed the earlier instructions. Each time the installer tries to install, I'm noticing a few error messages in the Event Viewer.  The installer window is still running after 30 minutes. 

5/13/2019 8:55:05 PM - Starting Download of : https://downloads.dell.com/serviceability/catalog/SupportAssistAgentCatalog.cab

5/13/2019 8:55:06 PM - Starting Download of : https://downloads.dell.com/serviceability/Catalog/SupportAssistx64-3.2.1.94.msi

5/13/2019 8:55:09 PM - Beginning a Windows Installer transaction: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\SupportAssistAgent\LauncherAutoUpdate\SupportAssistx64-3.2.1.94.msi. Client Process Id: 2148.

5/13/2019 8:55:10 PM - A service was installed in the system.

Service Name: Dell SupportAssist
Service File Name: "C:\Program Files\Dell\SupportAssistAgent\bin\SupportAssistAgent.exe"
Service Type: user mode service
Service Start Type: auto start
Service Account: LocalSystem

5/13/2019 8:55:09 PM - Beginning a Windows Installer transaction: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\SupportAssistAgent\LauncherAutoUpdate\SupportAssistx64-3.2.1.94.msi. Client Process Id: 2148.

5/13/2019 8:55:10 PM - Product: Dell SupportAssist -- Error 27555. Error attempting to apply permissions to object 'MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DELL\SupportAssistAgent'. System error: The system cannot find the file specified.
(-2147024894)

5/13/2019 8:55:12 PM - Product: Dell SupportAssist -- Installation operation failed.

5/13/2019 8:55:12 PM - Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Dell SupportAssist. Product Version: 3.2.1.94. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Dell Inc.. Installation success or error status: 1603.

5/13/2019 8:55:12 PM - Ending a Windows Installer transaction: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\SupportAssistAgent\LauncherAutoUpdate\SupportAssistx64-3.2.1.94.msi. Client Process Id: 2148

5/13/2019 8:55:12 PM - Starting Download of : https://downloads.dell.com/serviceability/catalog/SupportAssistAgentCatalog.cab

5/13/2019 8:55:13 PM - Starting Download of : https://downloads.dell.com/serviceability/Catalog/SupportAssistx64-3.2.1.94.msi

5/13/2019 8:55:17 PM - Beginning a Windows Installer transaction: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\SupportAssistAgent\LauncherAutoUpdate\SupportAssistx64-3.2.1.94.msi. Client Process Id: 14812.

5/13/2019 8:55:17 PM - Product: Dell SupportAssist -- Error 2318. File does not exist: C:\Program Files\Dell\SupportAssistAgent\bin\Microsoft.Practices.Unity.dll.

5/13/2019 8:55:17 PM - Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Dell SupportAssist. Product Version: 3.2.1.94. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Dell Inc.. Installation success or error status: 1603.

5/13/2019 8:55:18 PM - Ending a Windows Installer transaction: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\SupportAssistAgent\LauncherAutoUpdate\SupportAssistx64-3.2.1.94.msi. Client Process Id: 14812.

5/13/2019 9:14:47 PM - Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Dell SupportAssist. Product Version: 3.2.1.94. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Dell Inc.. Installation success or error status: 1603.

No Events found!