Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

2 Posts

April 20th, 2019 17:00

XPS 13 9380, SA says chipset driver is not installed

Hello,

I am also suffering this problem. I have tried updating the Intel Chipset Device Software Driver 10.1.17903.8106 via the Dell Support Assist Centre AND also independently via a direct download from the website. After every attempt at an installation, followed by a restart the driver still appears in the Dell Support Assist update box.

Please help/assist.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 21st, 2019 12:00

* Open Programs and Features. Look for Intel Chipset Device Software Driver. What version is installed?

2 Posts

April 21st, 2019 15:00

Hi Chris,

It is saying that the 10.1.17903.8106 is installed. However, the Dell Support Assist is still saying that the same update is required.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 22nd, 2019 05:00

So the Chipset 10.1.17903.8106 installed successfully. The SA (Support Assist) software is faulty and mis-reporting that it did not install. You could uninstall SA, reboot, then install it again and retest. Or simply periodically manually check the XPS 13-9380 driver page for newer drivers and not use SA for that function.

1 Message

May 4th, 2019 01:00

I have the same issue. I have uninstalled, restarted, reinstalled the SA software. It is still showing as the update is required?

25 Posts

May 4th, 2019 11:00

I'm having the same problem. I've even tried a factory reset. The SA software will just not install it. It also reminds me all the time to install it. This driver should be pulled, it doesn't install and causes me problems restarting.

Did you Open Programs and Features, look for the Intel Chipset Device Software Driver to verify what version was actually installed? DELL-Chris M

May 5th, 2019 10:00

Just adding to this thread - I am also experiencing this exact same issue.  I have a new 9380, about 2 months old.  I have tried installing the driver manually, via the Dell Update and Dell Support Assist programs.  Every time I do it, the installation hangs, and sometimes I get a BSOD.

I have also tried to uninstall and reinstall Dell Support Assist and re-install the driver, but does not help.  I get the same system behavior and the "recommended" update for 10.1.17903.8106_A07_01 is still listed no matter what I do.

Interestingly, Windows (under add/remove programs) does show that the driver is installed, which is confusing because I am now trying to fix an audio issue, which I think was caused by running this chipset update. I am going to reinstall the Realtek Audio driver and see if this resolves it.

I agree with others that there must be an issue with this chipset driver update.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

Have any of the failed installs left a log of the attempted install?

The driver shows as being updated on May 3rd, have all of you tried that one? 

I assume the Bios you are running is up to date, and actually, there are quite a few drivers for May 3rd or close.

I re-attempted the chipset driver just this morning because I was notified by Dell Support Assist that a new BIOS update was available.  The BIOS Update did complete just fine and then I did the Chipset Driver update after rebooting a couple of times.  The same issue occurred with the Chipset Driver post-BIOS update, Support Assist still shows the driver as a "recommended update" even after multiple reboots.  Windows does show that the driver is installed, so I figure I will just wait until the next version is released and ignore the "recommended update" message.

By the way, the audio issue that was created when I updated the Chipset Driver resolved itself after multiple reboots. I figure that this means that the install was successful in the end.

Regarding the error logs, I did have one, but I deleted it along with the other install files I had downloaded earlier this morning.  I probably could recreate the issue by doing it manually again, but would rather not mess with the system further since everything seems to be working at the moment.

25 Posts

May 5th, 2019 12:00

I've just sent my log files to Chris (on this thread). This was from updating the new May update. It still hangs and doesn't complete the install.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 5th, 2019 13:00

If Chris already has the files, I suppose he will get it worked out.  If you want to later, put the file on OneDrive and make it available.  But first, check it to make sure nothing sensitive is being shown, like service tags.

1 Message

May 10th, 2019 08:00

I also have a new 9380, and having all kinds of update issues. Especially with the Intel Chipset Device Software Driver. March 22, 2019 version? Did anyone figure this out yet?

Did you Open Programs and Features, look for the Intel Chipset Device Software Driver to verify what version was actually installed? DELL-Chris M

25 Posts

May 11th, 2019 00:00

nope.. Still doesn't install. Even the new may 7th updated version. keeps recommending to me though

1 Message

May 28th, 2019 13:00

I'm experiencing the same installation failures for both the Chipset and Killer WiFi drivers. I have tried installing through SupportAssist and manually via Dell drivers web page several times. Since attempting these failed installations, there is an unknown application that hangs when I try to restart and shut down. Task Manager does not list the hanging application. I have the installation logs available from Chipset and Killer. Please let me know how I can get these files to you. In search of a remedy.
Arlene  

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 28th, 2019 13:00

Check them to make sure there is nothing sensitive and place the files on your OneDrive and give us a link.

1 Message

June 8th, 2019 14:00

I too am experiencing this on an Alienware m15 - exact same issues. Shows as installed, but keeps want to reinstall. Have done multiple variations of uninstall/reinstall.

No Events found!