Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 22nd, 2014 15:00

Venue 11 Pro Wireless 1538 WiFi/BT Driver Issue

Back about a week ago, my tablet was unable to find any wifi routers to connect to. I did not turn wireless off, and my phone was able to pick up wireless signals. I googled my problem and found out that the Venue 8 Pro had a similar problem where Windows updates messed up any attempts to connect to wifi for whatever reason, but was unable to find any help for my Venue 11 Pro. I ended up uninstalling all Windows updates and restarting my computer just in case -- didn't work. I deleted the driver using the Device Manager, restarted, then had the Device Manager reinstall the driver -- didn't work. At this point, I downloaded the driver install file from Dell's website and did a complete uninstall of my existing wireless driver, then I re-installed it with the .exe provided by Dell. That worked, and I thought my problem was just an anomaly and that it was solved for good. I redownloaded the Windows updates and there was no issue.

Today during one of my classes, I opened my tablet (it's attached to the mobile keyboard) and went to check my emails. Strangely, my internet was kaput. It wouldn't find any access points, just like last time. My phone had no trouble, however. I reinstalled the driver using the solution above and it works fine now. But now I wonder why my driver keeps failing. Is it fetching an update and the update somehow corrupts my driver? I don't know, but it's annoying. I cannot reproduce this behaviour as I have no idea what would cause it to do this in the first place.

Has this issue been reported before? Is there a fix? I don't want to keep on reinstalling the driver, as that's not really a "fix", but more a workaround until the next time it happens.

Thanks.

1 Message

June 27th, 2016 03:00

I absolutely agree !!! I've given up on this tablet!!

Windows 8 and now Windows 10 don't fix the 1538 wi-fi issue. I've tried other drivers and various fixes without success. You can't even fit a new wi-fi card on this tablet as it's part of the motherboard.

So now when I lose wi-fi connection and get a red cross in on the wi-fi icon, I have to try and fix it under adaptor diagnostics - most of the time this works where the Windows has reset the adaptor. sometimes you have to re-boot and hope for the best??

I'd sell this tablet if I could, but I couldn't sell it knowing there is a serious issue with the wifi.

It's a pity Dell never resolved this issue??

828 Posts

January 22nd, 2014 20:00

Is this happening after a suspend or sleep or just randomly?  Is it actually downloading a new driver?

828 Posts

January 22nd, 2014 21:00

Check your PM please - I have a patch to send you that I think will fix your issue.

January 22nd, 2014 21:00

Of the two times it's happened, it was evident that the tablet was unable to connect to the internet upon returning from sleep. The error has not occurred while the tablet was being used (ie in the middle of loading a webpage or something).

I don't think it's downloading a new driver, but possibly updating the existing one which in turn may cause this problem. That's just a guess, though. I don't actually know why this happened twice.

2 Posts

January 23rd, 2014 12:00

I've been looking at the forums for help with this very issue.  Same exact thing is happening to my Venue 11 Pro.  Wifi is fine, until it is shut off or falls asleep for a longer period of time.  Wifi is connected, but I have no internet access.  I disconnect and reconnect, and it is fine until I let it go to sleep again for a period of time, or shut it off.

I have also had twice where I have no connections to even choose from, even though the Wifi is on and other devices are connected with no problem.  These problems happen at home or work, with the same results.

Dell-Brian B.....will the patch work for my issue as well?

7 Posts

January 23rd, 2014 13:00

I have similar issue with limited connectivity when tablet coming out of sleep after a certain period of time. This is very repeatable with either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz band. If a patch is available, I'd like to try because I'm about to return the product.

828 Posts

January 23rd, 2014 18:00

Test results on the patch are very positive so far.   We had persistent loss of WIFI after a suspend/resume cycle on a couple of forum customer units and the patch has fixed.    It will be posted on support.dell.com soon, but if you can't wait, PM me with your email and I'll make arrangements to get it to you early.   This issue does not appear to be limited to Dell devices FYI.

7 Posts

January 24th, 2014 10:00

Thanks for feedback Brian, good to know this problem has been worked on. I was unable to PM you, if you have a chance you can PM me the patch.

January 24th, 2014 16:00

I am in a similar boat and have even had my tablet replaced multiple times just to rectify this issue to no avail. I would appreciate it if I also received a link to the patch early as well, I seem to be unable to send a PM to DELL-Brian B.

Thanks.

January 24th, 2014 18:00

The issue occurred again today. Once again, it happened after waking my tablet up from sleep and was fixed by reinstalling the driver. Is there an ETA on the patch, Brian?

828 Posts

January 24th, 2014 20:00

Please try the new power settings update utility posted on support.dell.com.   It took a bit longer to mirror than I expected.  

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/dell-venue-11-pro?driverId=2N173&osCode=WB32A&fileId=3336309900&languageCode=en&categoryId=MU

7 Posts

January 24th, 2014 21:00

Brian, can the same patch be used on a Venue 8 pro?

January 24th, 2014 21:00

Thanks, Brian. If the problem occurs again in the future, I'll bump this thread and let you know (assuming threads on this site don't expire or get locked after some time).

828 Posts

January 26th, 2014 07:00

If you are seeing intermittent loss of WIFI after resume from standby, please do me a favor and post the following information here so that I can compile and take back to engineering.

1) Model of tablet (e.g. Venue 11 Pro 7130)

2) If you have the 7130 tablet, please post if you have a core or vPro processor

3) Specific model of router that is causing problems

4) If available, firmware version on router

Thanks.

828 Posts

January 26th, 2014 08:00

Seeing loss of WIFI after resume from standby. Here's the requested info :

• Venue 8 pro 5830
  • Linksys E4200 V2
  • Router firmware : 2.1.39.145204 (latest)

Hopefully, you can figure this out.

Thanks

Thanks so much and interestingly, same router model as someone who is seeing this on V11.
No Events found!