Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 24th, 2007 15:00

Am I protected. No.

I have a new Dell XPS 410 desktop with Windows Home edition and Mcafee Security Center already installed.

I am getting a yellow attention sign on the "Computer & Files" and on the "Email and IM" buttons at the center left side of the Security Center screen.

It says:
To solve these problems, click fix

When I click fix a small window shows up for a few seconds which says :
"Fixing your protection items"

In the right window (for both items) it says:
"The detection and signature file is between 8 and 29 days old. Fixing your protection items...

I can't tell that anything is happening and the yellow attentions never go away. This comes up every Time I turn on the computer. I have clicked on the "Update" button also and nothing happens.

So far what I get from the McAfee web site is that I should uninstall the program and then reinstall it. 
But I can't see how to download the software again. My computer came with the software already installed. The technical support page only tells me how to do it if I received a CD or if I downloaded the product myself.
After I login at McAfee to try and download the software I see:

"According to our records, you have no registered McAfee products."
Any Ideas?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 24th, 2007 19:00

Did you buy the software? The system comes with a time-limited trial version, not a full subscription.

6 Posts

April 24th, 2007 19:00

I just bought the computer a couple of weeks ago and it came with the McAfee Security Center software already installed with a 15 month subscription.
I just found an email from McAfee that gave a link for downloading the software. Someone on their forum suggested I uninstall what I have and reinstall the softeware again. I will try that and see what happens.

April 24th, 2007 20:00

Go to the McAfee site and register your program and make an account.   You will need the info on the program by looking in help in your McAfee Av to get seriel numbers etc  If you have a McAfee CD, hote the numbers on it..  Your problem is caused by not having registered McAfee.  As a result, you can not update.  The lack of updates is causing the warning.  McAfee requires double registration before the program works.
No Events found!