Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

MM

June 26th, 2017 09:00

XPS 410 XP TO WINDOWS 64 BIT BIOS

I am updating my XPS 410 from XP to Windows 10 64 bit (I hope).  It is a Pentium D X86 2.8 ghz., I will install 8gb ram DDR2 PC2-5300, 256 gb 850 Pro Samsung SSD.  My Bios is Dell 2.4.2.  System info shows Dell version 14. This computer was running a RAID, but I am not using that feature.

I can't seem to locate it, but will this Bios version support the 64 bit version of Windows 10.  If I need the new bios version 2.5.3, do I install it now under XP, then install Win 10?

I am installing Win 10 from USB, is there anything I need to know about the SSD, this is my first installation of that type of drive.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mark

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

June 27th, 2017 10:00

There will not be any bios that supports windows 10 for the old computer. It is considered obsolete. Remember you have to pay to install windows 10 and it might not work as well as you expect. Better to save the $120 for Home version as well as for all the other upgrades and put it towards a new computer.

You will have to use Win 10 generic drivers because Dell will not have any win 10 ones.  Dell has a memory upgrade here--

accessories.us.dell.com/.../productdetail.aspx

Bios installation is not specific to operating systems but any updates should be applied before an operating system upgrade. Always update the bios to the latest available before an OS upgrade. The computer cpu must support 64 bits--not bios. That should be listed on the System page in Control panel. Your model processor probably does support 64 bits but if it doesn't, scrap the upgrade and buy a new computer.

No Events found!