Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 26th, 2008 03:00

Installed programs in D restore partition

I have installed 5 programs by accident in the D: drive restore partition. Everything works fine but I suspect it is a VERY BAD IDEA to leave that way!! The programs are located in d:\index\program1\program2 ect.

The problem with just deleting them is they were free give aways for 1 day only! I can't get them back to reinstall!!

IS there a way to move the entire directory out of D: and into drive F:?

Thanks

Vostro 400  (2) 250gig hdd 3 meg ram Vista Business

39 Posts

August 26th, 2008 12:00

The short answer is no. But I believe leaving them on the D partition won't cause you any grief.

14.4K Posts

August 26th, 2008 17:00

You can leave them on the D partition. You will now have to use the disks to do a reinstall if you need to. You will not be able to use the recovery partition to do a factory restore.

160 Posts

August 26th, 2008 20:00

If you have the Dell Factory Image Restore utility (F8 restore) which mounts factory.wim (on D: RECOVERY) into C: OS, then you CAN leave them there and still have the Factory Restore functionality.  You probably won't be able to use them as installed programs after a restore but the restore will work and it will leave those files on D: untouched.  I've done it many times without fail.  I was a little concerned the first time so I left a test folder on D: and restored.  It was all still there.

If you repartition or do other things to the hard drive you may lose the recovery console but you usually still can remount the factory image from a command prompt.

Tom
XPS 420, Q6600, 4GB, 500x2, Radeon HD2600XT, Bluetooth, eSATA, Ultimate SP1
XPS 420, Q6700, 4GB, 750GB x 2 (RAID 0), GeForce 8800 GT, Xcellerator, Bluetooth, eSATA, Ultimate SP1
XPS M1330, 2.2GHz, 4GB, 200GB (7200), SP1
XPS M1330, 2.0GHz, 4GB, 320GB, Vista Ultimate SP1 & XP Pro SP3

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

August 26th, 2008 20:00

I would uninstall the programs, reboot and reinstall on the C partition. You still cannot use Recovery, but it would be better to have all your programs on the C drive so you don't have trouble later on. Program files can grow and the D part. is small. Make sure you are not regularly using the D partition for anything--no downloads or backups. Windows remembers which partition you used before so check the destination every time you add something. Backups need to be on a different physical drive--internal or external--not on a diff partition.

2.7K Posts

August 27th, 2008 17:00

Hi

I agree 100 percent with with zrtom on this i installed a hunting game to D:\Recovery

and going back to factory setup is no problem at all the game stays on D:\ with no

problems to the factory restore !

I used D:\ to run the game because it runs faster from there than it did from C:\ .

Because D:\ is the center of the drive and is does not lag like it did in C:\ .

Good Luck  

33 Posts

August 27th, 2008 21:00

Well, I guess I'll leave well enough alone! Thank's for the advice!!
Message Edited by earleb1 on 08-27-2008 05:48 PM
No Events found!