Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 29th, 2006 08:00

Problem with Sony Camera DSC m1 connected to laptop by USB, laptop does not recognize

Hi all,

I have dell inspiron 6000 with windows XP media center OS. I have a sony camera - DSC-M1

I am trying to connect that with the USB cable to download pitcture from memory stick. But the laptop does not recogize the camera and gives message "Mass Storage Device Mall Functioned". The same works fine on Desktop with OS windows 98.

I have tryied to uninstall the USB's under device menager, but didn't help. When the camera is connected the USB port report it as unknown devide.

I checked usb port, it works fine with my webcam and flash drive.

I have tried to connect the memory card reader, but it also gives same message.

I am frustrted with the Dell Laptop............

PL. help

Regards.

Pragnesh

1.7K Posts

June 29th, 2006 17:00

on the sony support pages for the DSC-M1 there is a USB driver available  perhaps that will help and other info about the camera and perhaps updated software as an added bonus u should register your camera with sony if u have not done so already .. i register everything i own hardware ,software that way i get most updates
hope this is usefull

Message Edited by Toronto699 on 06-29-200602:01 PM

Message Edited by Toronto699 on 06-29-200602:05 PM

5 Posts

June 30th, 2006 04:00

Dear,

Thanks for ur reply. I have already registered at Sony. I have also downloaded and tried the software specified at Sony site, as mentioned by u. But nothing helped.

Is anyone own Sony DSC-M1 and connecting to Dell Inspiron 6000 via USB in Windows XP OS with MCE?

Pl. reply.

Regards

Pragnesh

1.7K Posts

June 30th, 2006 19:00

Ok try this... delete all hardware that relate to the camera in device manager .. the hard ware in device manager might have a ? mark delete all these then reinstall the USB driver from the sony web page    this came from sony esupport knowledge  base artical C335473

Message Edited by Toronto699 on 06-30-200611:05 PM

5 Posts

July 3rd, 2006 03:00

I have done this, but still the problme is not solved.

Pragnesh

5 Posts

July 6th, 2006 16:00

Funny, I have the same problem, to add some more info, I first used a GX 260 and although it work fine for a few weeks it now can't see the camera. I plug it into different ports with no success. I removed the drivers and readded them, still would not see new hardware. When I plug in the camera, I change cables and tried different devices and still had nothing. Now to top it off I took my laptop (D610) and it couldn't see new hardware when I plug the USB cable in it. Now there is a possibility that the camera is broken, but I'm betting on Dell having a problem. Both computers are running XP SP1 and have no problems recognizing other devices attached to the same USB cable. 

thanks for any Help

Jay Gerber

5 Posts

July 7th, 2006 10:00

Mine is Dell 6000.

I have tested the camera on windows 98 system and that system able to detect the camera - Sony DSC M1. But i tries the camera on 3 diffn system having XP, all r not able to recognise the camera. So, seem thst problem is of compatibily of camera and XP.

I m still working on soln. Let me know if u come know any thing new. I will also infomr

Regards.

Pragnesh

No Events found!