Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

February 14th, 2014 22:00

SP1 for Window 7 will NOT install. Could anyone tell me how to install SP1 for Windows 7 ?

I've been trying to install SP1 for Windows 7  64 bit  for months  with NO luck.   I have a Dell Inspiron laptop with  8 GB purchased the month SP1 came out.  I didn't realize I didn't have the update till I tried to download IE11.  You have to have  SP1 prior to downloading IE11 or IE11 will not install.   Yes, I use  automatic updates & even Microsoft can't explain why I never received this important update.  I've had 2 of the "free' techs try to assist me with  NO luck. One wanted to know why I want IE11 when I had IE9 & if I bought Windows 8 it would solve my problem. argh!  Both techs wanted me to subscribe to Microsoft paid tech service. 

I have NO virus's or malware . I've never had a virus & I scanned with Microsoft's Safety scanner last night.  No virus's or malware. I have enough space to download.  

The message I receive is my security software may be interfering with the installation. I'm running MSE & do longs scan weekly as well as  scan all drives  with Maleware bytes (free version)  each week.   I even disabled MSE , turned off my firewall & install  still failed.  I've gone through all the self help at Microsoft & downloaded again the hotfix update.  I've tried downloading on dif browsers & I'm at a loss & feel the computer may now  be vulnerable to infections w/o sp1.

Can anyone help me please?  Thank you!

807 Posts

February 15th, 2014 04:00

Pre-requisites for SP1 are...

Windows Updates KB2454826, KB2534366, and KB2533552

Check your Windows Update history to see if these are already installed.

Also see below...

Known Issues

Intel integrated graphics device drivers. The versions of the Intel integrated graphics device driver that are known to be problematic are Igdkmd32.sys and Igdkmd64.sys versions 8.15.10.2104 through 8.15.10.2141. For more information about a known issue with these drivers and with Windows Mail, see Microsoft Knowledge Base article 2505524.

To check whether you are using the Intel integrated graphics device driver Igdkmd32.sys or Igdkmd64.sys versions 8.15.10.2104 through 8.15.10.2141, follow these steps: 

1. Start DirectX Diagnostic Tool. To do this, click Start, type dxdiag in the Search programs and files box, and then press Enter.
  2. Click the Display tab.
  3. Note the driver and driver version.
  4. If you have the Intel integrated graphics driver Igdkmd32.sys or Igdkmd64.sys versions 8.15.10.2104 through 8.15.10.2141, visit the computer manufacturer's website to see whether a newer driver is available, and then download and install that driver.

24 Posts

February 16th, 2014 22:00

Thank you very much for trying to help me Paul.

Pre-requisites for SP1 are...

Windows Updates KB2454826, KB2534366, and KB2533552

I don't have any of those updates & have tried downloading them 4 times, both before & after "installing" the new version of the graphics driver. I receive the same message - update is NOT applicable to your computer.

"For more information about a known issue with these drivers and with Windows Mail, see Microsoft Knowledge Base article 2505524."

I clicked on the link.  I'm not sure what not being able to download SP1 had to do with Windows Live - but while there, I used the microsoft  "fix it". I'm not sure what not being able to download SP1 had to do with Windows Live. Is there another step after using the wizard?   I tried to download those updates again & received the same message "update is NOT applicable to your cmputer."

"The versions of the Intel integrated graphics device driver that are known to be problematic are Igdkmd32.sys and Igdkmd64.sys versions 8.15.10.2104 "   I don't have either of these.

Main driver -- igdumd64.dll, igd10umd64.dll, igdumc or an o (the last letter is cut off) Version 8.15.10.2104

Several months ago I checked for drivers to see if this was the issue. I went to Intel & they directed me back to Dell. I installed Dell Detect & it detected a missing driver & installed it. Whether or not it was this one I do NOT know.

Noting the version was the same, I went to Intel as instructed & they detected the same graphic driver "8.15.10.2104" & said they were unable to update this driver & directed me to Dell.

Dell had a huge list of drivers they recommended for my computer - nearly 40. Very few were optional. I've been attempting to download ALL the recommended ones even though I don't think I need them (like modem) - only 1 was listed as urgent. Some install - some will NOT (BIOS error - not for my system) & some I have a concern about (warnings scared me off - such as will wipe out flash) so I don't finish the set up for those. I made a copy of all the drivers they suggested if you would like to see it.

I downloaded the update for new  version of the graphics driver  - but I don't know if actually installs because when I use the DirectX Diagnostic Tool it shows the old driver. I also went to Intel & they do NOT detect the new driver. Intel still shows the old driver & they say my other drivers are fine. I've downloaded & replaced this driver several times. I'm following all directions. I did another test of drivers with Dell & its still showing ALL of them even though I downloaded & installed over 30 of them.

I downloaded & installed all  4 video drivers which Dell  recommended form my laptop. At least I think I did.  I  clicked analyze my system & Dell is still showing all the updates I installed.

I also tried installing SP1 again, with NO luck..

Any more ideas? 

Thank you!

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

February 17th, 2014 00:00

I assume you have tried installing Windows 7 Service Pack via the standalone update:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows-7/obtaining-the-latest-service-packsbuilds-of-internet-explorer/

If you've had this issue since the factory install it would suggest that the factory install of Windows 7 is not loaded correctly. I would therefore advise backing up the product activation using the Activation Backup and Recovery Program and clean install Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 using a Digital River .iso:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows-7/microsoft-product-activation/the-activation-backup-and-recovery-program-windows-7-version/

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-windows/

My Windows Reinstallation Guide will help you through the process:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/

Some more details on the drivers are available here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/downloading-drivers-checking-hardware-ids-and-downloading-and-installing-dell-system-drivers-in-the-correct-order/

What model of Dell is it?

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

I have moved this post to the Microsoft OS Forum.

24 Posts

Hi NATAKU4 - thanks for moving my question to the right forum & taking time to answer. 

Model N7010 

You assumed right - I've download SP1 more than 6 times & I used different browsers to do so. Rarely if ever  am I able to download & install ANY program using IE.  It always fails for one reason or another.  I don't seem to have an  Active X control in IE9.  I've tried downloading with both IE's. I haven't been able to find out what number the original IE is.

I don't have an installation dvd of Windows 7 Home Premium. It's out of warranty & at the time Dell did NOT offer one.  I've been trying to connect with Dell to see if I could purchase one at nominal fee but haven't been able to talk to the right person.  Do you know if this is possible? 

Yes, I thought the order of installation might be important after the fact.  I had to install each one sep cause I only have 1M speed in the area I'm located in..  It's been a very long process.

I'll study the links you sent.  Thank you.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

February 17th, 2014 03:00

Okay download the standalone update on a friends computer with a faster connection and also download the .iso just in case you still have issues.

24 Posts

February 18th, 2014 20:00

NATAKUC4    Hi

Having a friend download this is NOT an option. 

Dell is sending me 2 dvd's free of charge. One for drivers & an installation dvd for my operating system.. The tech told me there were NO instructions included with the installation dvd & he said I did NOT possess adequate knowledge to do this myself. He wanted to sell me a one day service for $89 to resolve this issue or a year technical service for $239.00. I said NO to both. Tech said it was too difficult for me & if I made a mistake I would ruin my hard drive permanently. What do you think? Any advice? Thanks..

24 Posts

February 19th, 2014 01:00

Also - Microsoft tech sid they would help do a clean install once I got a copy of my operating sustem.  IDK -- tech didn't even notice I had a Chrome Browser & downloaded another one.  I said can I have 2 & tech said NO - I didn't realize you already had one.  hmmm...

24 Posts

I see my last comment did NOT post.  Should have pasted it from a word document.  I received a runtime error  -- I hope that was on this end and not mine.  

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

I didn't realize you were the author & this was ALL your stuff.   Thanks!  I'll study it.  I noticed I haven't received a security update since last April.  I suppose because I do not have SP1.  I receive ALL the MSE & office updates tho.  I just did a scan with Best Buy Geek Squad (Webroot).  They noted the lack of SP1 & the ONLY other thing they noted was "an active process may have a memory leak (iexplore.exe)"  I researched it & that is IE9 -  NOT a surprise..   I assume IE9  will  disapear with a clean install.   Most of the drivers I thought I installed did NOT & yes I looked at the link you sent.  Thank you.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

If the tech is making out the Windows install to be so difficult then I would not trust the tech to install it.

I didn't like Dells documentation and found it lacking in many areas so I wrote my own. Thousands of users with varying levels of expertise have followed my guides with success. See Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean Install of Windows 7:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/

Have a read through of the guide in advance to make sure you understand what you are doing.

14.4K Posts

February 19th, 2014 14:00

I had a similar issue of sp1 not installing regardless of mode of install, windows update or stand alone network installer. All the prerequisites were installed. 

I went through all the hoops suggested by Microsoft but in the end I did an in place upgrade install using the original dell win 7 dvd. If you try using a copy of win 7 with sp1 integrated it won't install.

All my programs and data remained intact. Installed all windows updates (there were quite a few) including sp1 and never had a problem since.

24 Posts

February 19th, 2014 15:00

BACILLUS - THANKS for taking time to reply. "hoops" haha -- I'm insane cause I repeated everything a half dozen times hoping for dif results & spent half a night with 2 dif 'techs'.

My computer came preinstalled with 7.  I don't have an original installation dvd.  I'm NOT sure what Dell is sending me. 2 DVD's - one with drivers.   With another blizzard on its way - not sure when it will arive.

If I pd Dell tech to help me -- which would be insane on my part cause 89$ will buy me an orginal Windows 7 dvd & I could easily do it myself then - how is he going to get it to install or work properly?

There is a guy on Ebay selling   restoration Dell dvd's with SP1 & feedback has been 100% positive.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&ftab=AllFeedback&userid=bardel33&iid=-1&de=off&items=25&interval=0&mPg=58&page=1 

I'll study the lit  NATAKU4 sent me.  Computer works -- I don't want to "kill" it.. I don't know what to do.

Thanks again!

1 Message

June 20th, 2014 20:00

Solution for failed "install SP1 for Windows 7 64 bit". I had the same issues and after exhausting search with many, many suggested fixes including Microsoft own suggestions - none of them worked, This one fix is simple and did the trick for me. Hope it helps someone else. http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/214889-service-pack-1-won-t-install-4.html If I was you I would check your "Windows Module Installer" in services. I also have had that problem for a long time, till I decided to do something about it today. If you can't install Service Pack 1 and also if you're having problems with installing iTunes, Windows Module Installer, may be the culprit. First you will want to check and see if Windows Module Installer is working or if it's missing. Click Start and in the search box type in "Services" then click on the one with the icon Shaped like a gear. Scroll all the way down till you see "Windows Module Installer" Once you find it, double click on it, you will see the preference menu pop up. If your WMI (Windows Module Installer) Has stopped, click on Start, then in the middle you will see "Startup Type" Change that to "Automatic" and click "Apply". SOMETIMES ITS THE EASY FIX AND THIS WORKED FOR ME…

24 Posts

June 20th, 2014 21:00

Thank you for responding. My Windows Module Installer was NOT running.  I did what you said & set it to automatic.  Now what?  Just install SP1 ?  or do I need to do something else first?  Thank you!

24 Posts

June 20th, 2014 23:00

If all you were supposed to do after turning the module installer on  is install SP1 - it didn't work. If I was supposed to do something else, kindly let me know.  Thanks

No Events found!