Highlighted
4 Tellurium

Re: Is it possible to install a front case fan into the XPS

@Dell630i wrote:

Is it meaningful to put a 120mm fan in the front top location when the grill through which it can pull air is only about 100mm x 60mm?

Yes, there is enough airflow through the grill to cool a Corsair AIO CPU liquid cooler.  Would help with the airflow in the upper part of the case across the CPU and out the upper exhaust.   Would have to move the HDD to the lower compartment..  Can use full size 25mm wide fan inside the case or slim 15mm fan outside the case using some mounting tape.

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8930-CPU-Liquid-Cooler-GTX-1080-Hybrid-GPU-Upgrades/...

With a typical full size dual fan GPU (10.5" length) the lower intake fan is more for airflow into the lower compartment and to help balance the case pressure..  The GPU blocks air from getting to the upper half of the case.  With a smaller GPU like the single fan GTX 1060 models (7" length) the lower fan would help with the upper compartment as well. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I have an 8930 circa November 2017.  I usually leave it running 24x7.  It does not appear to have any fans other than the stock OEM air fans on the CPU and inside the PSU.  The CPU is an i7-8700.  The GPU is 1050-Ti.  It has one 8TB Seagate HDD and two 4TB Seagate HDDs.  The temperatures of those devices run at less than 35°C.

Should I add any fans?  When I opened the case, I expected to see one extractor fan near the top rear of the case and at least one or two sucker fans near the front bottom of the case.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

@Tahman    Should I add any fans? 

If your top exhaust fan is 92mm, that should be changed to 120mm fan. You can easily add a 120mm lower front intake fan with the Aurora R6/7/8 bracket. You can optionally add an upper front intake fan. This is what I did   XPS 8930 Fan and PSU Upgrade 

(click photo to embiggen)

IMG_3835.JPG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

My top exhaust fan, which I did not see previously, appears to be a stock 92mm fan.  Thus, I should be able to replace it with a 120mm fan. Similarly, I should be able to add a 120mm lower front intake fan with the Aurora R6/7/8 bracket. I cannot add an upper front intake fan because that space is occupied by my 8TB Seagate Baracuda HDD. The two bottom HDD bays are occupied by my two 4TB Seagate Baracuda HDDs.

What brand and/or model is your CPU cooler?

Thank you for responding to me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

@Tahman    What brand and/or model is your CPU cooler?

The blower style CPU cooler is OEM Dell and came with the XPS 8930 if you ordered a 95 watt CPU (ends with "K" . . . like i9-9900K). They can be purchased separately if you are interested. In addition to the Aurora R6/7/8 black plastic bracket for the lower front intake fan, you will also need the Aurora R6/7/8 silver metal top exhaust fan bracket in order to mount your 120mm fan. This 120mm top exhaust fan will make the most difference in improving your heat/noise issues. With all of the HDD heat being generated in your case, the blower style CPU cooler would also be helpful.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I've not tried to install a front case fan into the unit yet, however, I've managed to install an 80mm extra exhaust fan on the rear PCI slot grill.  (I'm not using any of the PCI slots)  I would imagine a thin factor fan may work in front if such exists.  I'll be looking into it too as someday I may want to use the PCI slots and remove the back fan.  There are no extra fan controllers on the MB so any extra fans need to be connected to the available power plugs from the power supply and run continuously.  I'd be interested to know if anyone did indeed find a front case fan that fits and successfully installed it.    

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I have an XPS 8920 which appears to have the same case as the 8930. If that is true then yes, you can install a front fan. HOWEVER, it will have to be installed in the top-front hard drive bay which has fan mount holes for a 92mm case fan.  The HD drive basket is easily removable by just unscrewing to screws. Then you can install a 92x92x25mm case fan. You will have to snake the fan power cord through the drive bay and use a PWM fan splitter cable to plug the fan into the Mobo connector labelled "Top Fan". It is best to choose a PWM fan because you will be plugging it into a PWM fan header that powers the top fan and allows the Mobo to control fan speed based on temperature. I installed a ARCTIC F9 PWM PST - 92 mm Case Fan which came with a splitter cable. It's very quiet and I can't tell it's even running. Noctua also makes very quiet and efficient PWM fans that usually come with a full compliment of cables and other doo dads.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

I have an XPS 8920 which appears to have the same case as the 8930. If that is true then yes, you can install a front fan. HOWEVER, it will have to be installed in the top-front hard drive bay which has fan mount holes for a 92mm case fan. The HD drive basket is easily removable by just unscrewing to screws. Then you can install a 92x92x25mm case fan. You will have to snake the fan power cord through the drive bay and use a PWM fan splitter cable to plug the fan into the Mobo connector labelled "Top Fan". It is best to choose a PWM fan because you will be plugging it into a PWM fan header that powers the top fan and allows the Mobo to control fan speed based on temperature. I installed a ARCTIC F9 PWM PST - 92 mm Case Fan which came with a splitter cable. It's very quiet and I can't tell it's even running. Noctua also makes very quiet and efficient PWM fans that usually come with a full compliment of cables and other doo dads. Do you have pics?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

@jimbob55 wrote:

I have an XPS 8920 which appears to have the same case as the 8930. If that is true then yes, you can install a front fan. HOWEVER, it will have to be installed in the top-front hard drive bay which has fan mount holes for a 92mm case fan.  The HD drive basket is easily removable by just unscrewing to screws. Then you can install a 92x92x25mm case fan. You will have to snake the fan power cord through the drive bay and use a PWM fan splitter cable to plug the fan into the Mobo connector labelled "Top Fan". It is best to choose a PWM fan because you will be plugging it into a PWM fan header that powers the top fan and allows the Mobo to control fan speed based on temperature. I installed a ARCTIC F9 PWM PST - 92 mm Case Fan which came with a splitter cable. It's very quiet and I can't tell it's even running. Noctua also makes very quiet and efficient PWM fans that usually come with a full compliment of cables and other doo dads.

Do you have pics?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

No, the bottom part of the rear of the front vents will take a 120mm fan and screw holes are not a problem (I used double sided tape anyway). I you use the top section of the rear of the front panel you will lose the HDD bay there.

Dell XPS 8920 silver edition
7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Samsung 850 evo SSD for boot
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card
I buy a new Dell every 4 years for the last 25 years

0 Kudos