Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

D

4 Posts

July 16th, 2019 01:00

XPS 8930, upgrade to 64GB RAM, #3

When I purchased my XPS 8930 (i7-8700K) it came with 16GB of RAM as 2 x 8GB chips. Shortly afterward I upgraded my RAM to 32GB by buying 1 x 16GB  2666MHz chip. So currently I have 3 slots filled.

When I upgraded my RAM last year, I was told that the motherboard would be able to recognize a 32GB chip. I specifically asked the Dell sales engineer at the time because I knew I would want to upgrade to 64GB at some point  However,  according to the memory configuration matrix for the XPS 8930, it makes it seem that this is not possible by adding a 1 x 32GB chip.

Please let me know if the motherboard can support a 32GB chip. I don't want to have to buy 3 x 16GB chips to have 2 x 8GB chips rendered useless and having to spend more money. Thank you.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 16th, 2019 03:00

According to the Dell specs (linked below) 16GB is the largest size memory module.  

I would caution you against mixing brands and spec's of memory.  We have seen many problems posted here because of that.  Some luck out with mixing but most do not.  Also having all the same brand is a very good idea.

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/04/xps-8930-desktop/xps-8930-setup-and-specification/memory?guid=guid-7a8b9be6-87bc-4cd9-8232-897fb250ed5a&lang=en-us

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

July 16th, 2019 04:00

fireberd is correct about the about a 32GB DIMM being not supported. In addition, your current 32GB is unusual. While your current configuration works for you, RAM modules should be installed in matching pairs. A single 1 x 16GB module will operate in single channel mode while your 2 x 8GB modules will operate in dual channel mode. I am not sure how combining the two will work. There is some performance benefits operating in dual channel mode although it may not be that noticeable. At a minimum I would pair your 1 x 16GB RAM.

4 Posts

July 16th, 2019 05:00

Evidently the only 32GB chips that are DDR4 2rx8 MHz2666 are SODIMM, not UDIMM. I guess desktop users lose out to laptops once again.

So either I wait for a UDIMM chip to come out, or buy 3 x 16GB chips (4 ix 16GB if I want to match brands).

4 Posts

Vic384:

I bought 1 x 16GB chip because:

1.) It was cheaper than buying 2 x 8GB chips.

2.) The sales engineer on the phone with me said I could purchase a 32GB chip in the future to upgrade, which would making the 2nd upgrade cheaper as well.

4 Posts

Fireberd:

I'd love to buy RAM from Dell to match my 16GB 2Rx8 DDR4 UDIMM 2666MHz PC4 21300, but Dell's website charges $199.95 per chip and Crucial charges $63.95 for the exact same chip. I'm out of warranty anyway, so there's no incentive to buy Dell products at more than 3 times the price.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

What we are telling you is the Dell published specifications.  32 GB module is not supported according to the Dell's specs.  I checked the Crucial Memory site and it does not offer 32GB modules for this model. 

If you go ahead and buy a 32 GB module and it doesn't work, don't blame us.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

July 16th, 2019 06:00

I would buy the memory from Crucial. If you use Crucial's Memory Advisor the memory you purchase is guaranteed 100% compatible or your money back.

1 Message

September 24th, 2019 23:00

It seems that everywhere I look Crucial memory is recommended for Dell desktops especially the XPS 8930, which I have.   I think this is in part due to their guarantees and the fact the Crucial uses Micron E dies as opposed to Samsung B dies.  However Crucial is now getting nasty reviews on Trustpilot   https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.crucial.com. Though Corsair is not fairing any better.   https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.corsair.com.  Albeit the bad reviews are for non ram items and Corsair makes the effort to respond to each complaint.

Additionally I cannot find out who makes the the XPS 8930 motherboard ie Dell 0DF42J A00.  Though I believe it is a Z370?  And that this motherboard cannot become XMP compatible as it is a serial presence detect (SPD) motherboard.  This makes all the powerful and faster ram benefits of more advanced RAM meaningless as the speed is capped at I believe 2666 mhz. though this other ram will still work.  But the argument is often why spend more due to these restrictions?

I am getting 2 X 8 ram modules and I do not care about spending an extra $10 to $20 for better ram which I may be able to use on another computer some day.  That being said what is the better ram I should buy or rather brand?  Corsair, Crucial, Patriot, Gskill etc? So that it will work well with my Dell and have some protection against obsolescence...

Thanks!

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

September 25th, 2019 03:00

the sun, the moon and the sky, aeh?

the z370/gen/7/8cpu sets the limits (at the least ,and is intels MMC logic inside  gen8 cpu this case)

if you read the data sheet at intel.com you see those limits.  for maximum sizes and memory chip density.

UDIMM DDR4

per slot. limits below:

the data sheet gen8 clearly shows do not mix DDRM brands, skew , and type. page 19 PDF #1

apage19-gen8.JPG

see B rules below,  page 20 in the intel sheet PDF.

intel20.JPG

the above are INTEL quotes on Gen8, and are the logic rules inside said processor for RAM.

the MMC logic, can not be changed by you or dell, only the processor model can be changed.

The rules are Intels first, then BIOS then Dells motherboard layout.(design)

these set of facts are why all top PC makers and all motherboard maker (read a great example at Asus.com!)

why all makers must qualify RAM.   (and the top makers of ram try to do the same thing (sticks) Crucial,etc.

the last chart above clear as day show the chip /stick density limits, for sure, read that.

The Stick makers decide on density, number ram chip per side, and if both sides used, and matters.

mixing brands or density is CHAOS. !  learn that at least.

I can not speak for BIOS limits or actual mobo limits, only INTEL logic rules.  and is first , lacking qualified venders lists and actual SKU numbers same.

dell:specs/ here.

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

September 25th, 2019 04:00

close but not accurate.

the GEN8 CPU is the first logic device that dictates memory type, not BIOS, but BIOS would be 2nd and motherboard next. 

The CPU chip has the MMC inside, and that logic is fixed, logic inside (intel inside,)!!!

the XMP is overlocking RAM, 

per this page. at least.

wants 64GB and overclock it?

if OP is overclocking 64GB of ram?, now is the time to fess up,  as that is a whole other endless topic

and for sure , ?does Dell support that  here."

now read this, read XMP usage based on intels certified page, (not dells,ok?)

they list XMP DDR memories and for that 8700k too.

SEEN HERE>PDF ( shows DDR sku and mobo sku, no dells, but shows what can work with XMP)

what makes you think dell supports XMP , not this.

this PC is not Alienware, rated.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

September 25th, 2019 04:00

As far as I know, Trustpilot does not sell memory, so the people writing reviews did not buy from them. If you look at a site like Amazon or Newegg where people actually buy memory from and write reviews, the reviews of Crucial are excellent.

You are correct about the limitations of the XPS 8930 as far as memory  is concerned. That limitation, I believe, is not due to the chipset, but the BIOS and the motherboard design. Other motherboards using the Z370 have XMP capability.

I would buy memory based on my need today and not some future need. You cannot predict what type of memory a future computer may require. I would buy Crucial memory, no one else has a better guarantee that the memory will work.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

September 25th, 2019 05:00

As far as I know, no one here except you brought up memory type in this discussion. We are discussing the XPS 8930 and it uses DDR4 memory. No one disputes that.

November 30th, 2019 04:00

Hi, I am in exactly the same boat as you. XPS 8930 with 2 X 8GB RAM. I purchased a Dell 16GB RAM board. Has this worked out OK and also which slots did you use for each board. I think my two 8GB are in white 1 and 2. So I guess I should use 3 for the new 16GB.

Thanks in advance.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

November 30th, 2019 05:00

While this is an unusal configuration, it seems the original poster got it to work. I would install it in the DIMM3 slot. Normally, you should install memory modules in pairs. By installing a single module your memory will operate in single channel mode which will result in a small performance hit. Dell does ship systems with a single memory module.

No Events found!