Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 19th, 2018 13:00

XPS One 2710, black screen of death

So I recently bought a XPS One 2710 AIO from a friend.  It had Windows 8 on it when I got it and seemed to be running fine.  When I got it home I upgraded it to windows 10.  It ran fine with windows 10 until about a week after I installed it.  Now I am getting the black screen of death, the computer comes on, all the fans run and the backlight on the screen comes on briefly and then goes off, the computer continues to run but I don't get the dell logo POST, or any option or even a chance to get back into BIOS.

My issue is exactly the issue described in many various threads on the dell support site and other sites.  

Such as: https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/35636-windows-10-killed-my-dell-xps-2710-a-10.html

&

https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General/XPS-One-2710-Black-screen-on-boot-No-BIOS/td-p/5019007

This is a tutorial about how to fix it, which I have tried but not succeeded:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/Junk_Bucket/Dell_BSOD_FIX_Manual.PDF

This tutorial from the tenforums.com actually got me into the bios after getting the 5 RTC reset beeps but I was not able to make any changes becuase the computer was laying flat on it's screen, so I powered off thinking the problem was solved and would be able to get back to bios next time a powered up. That was the last time I saw the bios and that was about a 1000 more troubleshooting steps in the past.  I have tried the following process several times since then and have only been able to get the 5 beep codes again once or twice, but still no BIOS.  Here are the steps that worked for me (once):

"1.Follow the CMOS reset, clear NVRAM, and BIOS procedure (steps)-- Make sure to disconnect power!!!
a. Take out the coin battery and press the power button for 10 seconds to clear the CMOS to totally discharge it. Put battery back.
b. Locate both the 2-pin jumper plug for the password connector (PSWD), and the CMOS (RTCRST)-- RealTimeClockReset (look at the XPS user manual PDF--download for free).
c. Move both plugs to the left.
d. Connect power, press power button, and wait at least for 10 seconds. Turn power off.
e. Put back both plugs where they were before.

2. Now, to force a Realtime Clock Power Failure (5 beeps in your computer at power up--power on!)
a. This will hopefully get you where you can make some changes to the BIOS entries.
b. At power up press F2 and/or F12 (BIOS access and/or Boot setup)
c. With F2 you can make sure the date/time is correct , the hard drives are recognized, and the booting sequence.
d. This is what you really want...F12...Boot setup!! Here I solved my problem...and hopefully yours. What I did is to change the Boot Mode Setting from Legacy Boot to UEFI Boot. This made the Windows Boot Loader (WBL) take over the booting process and....presto!! I got my system working back!!!
e. MAKE SURE YOU PUT THE BATTERY BACK BEFORE PRESSING ENTER TO SELECT UEFI BOOT!!!
f. I had DELL BIOS A11 so I updated to A12 while in Windows before I rebooted for second time to see if I really got it working. Know what? I DID!!!! 8-)"

From what I am gathering this machine does not cooperate with windows 10 and an automatic BIOS update may have corrupted my BIOS.  All signs point to a corrupt BIOS.  Although, my power supply seems to be acting up as in makes a "spring noise" when it shuts off and during this troubleshooting process, my machine has powered off on its own several times and then turns itself back on, which to me seems strange.

I believe I have tried everything and I am getting very frustrated.  Some company in Florida said they could fix it if i mail the mobo to them, for $110 and they also said Windows 10 caused it and it was a bios issue.

Kevin from Alaska.

11 Posts

March 9th, 2018 23:00

I paid $90 on ebay and sent my board out to someone in LA and they fixed it and sent it back. When you install windows 10 you have to do a clean install not an upgrade install because it will wipe it out again.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 21st, 2018 08:00

$110 for a service that "might" fix the issue for a six year old computer? I am not sure if I would put the money into it unless I had a drive ready with Windows 8. Windows 10 was never tested/validated by Dell on this model. So if you do pay the $110 to get it repaired, what would stop Windows 10 from just bricking the CMOS again? By the way, I do not think that the PSU is faulty. It was working fine with Windows 8, correct? As far as how to remove and replace the CMOS chip, correct, Dell does not have such documentation.

XPS One 2710 CMOS chip on eBay

March 6th, 2018 01:00

Hey Kevin,

I just repurposed an old XPS 2710. I thought I might use it as an external monitor and occasionally run Windows on it. I thought I was doing myself a favour by installing Windows 10. May I know which build you installed?

Looks like I may have to reinstall Windows 8 on this machine.

Thanks.

10 Posts

June 8th, 2018 08:00

Why do you say that?  I did a clean install of WIndows 10 and got the same Black Screen issue a few days later.

10 Posts

June 8th, 2018 08:00

Any idea if this new BIOS will prevent Win 10 from bricking me again?

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=6C68R

I got this thing back up and running but I'm not a big fan of Win 8.

Thanks!

10 Posts

June 8th, 2018 09:00

All those "How-Tos" were total BS and a huge waste of time.  They may have worked for some, at some point but never worked for me.  I got the CMOS chip replaced and I'm good to go.  

3 Posts

October 17th, 2018 16:00

Sneaky82,

Could you give us the contact info of the person in LA who fixed it for you?  Thanks.

3 Posts

October 17th, 2018 16:00

kevinak907, where to get a CMOS and how to replace it?   Thanks.

Formosan.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 17th, 2018 20:00

@formosan wrote:

kevinak907, where to get a CMOS and how to replace it?   Thanks.

Formosan.

If it's truly not BIOS-Posting .. carry on.

But if it's Posting, but black-screens trying to load Windows, it's likely this problem: https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron-Desktops/Inspiron-One-2330-slow-to-boot/m-p/6096369/highlight/true#M5412

10 Posts

November 7th, 2018 11:00

@formosan@Tesla1856

I bought this (link to ebay product page) and had a friend remove old chip from mobo and solder new chip on.  Good to go. 

Also there are some places you can mail your board to they'll do it for you for around $100 if I remember correctly.  If you need more info on mail-out people I can dig around for you, no problem.  Or you can probably find someone locally in your area that does soldering.

3 Posts

November 7th, 2018 13:00

kevinak907, Thank you for the link for the BIOS chip. Could you also send me the link for the instruction of (1) removing the motherboard of the machine, and (2) and steps to follow in soldering the chip onto the board? Thanks.

6 Posts

January 10th, 2019 19:00

I ordered a chip but i don't think I will be able to do this task. Does your computer is still working? if it is, I am planning to go to micro center or somewhere like and ask them to do it for me. 

January 19th, 2019 09:00

What I did was remove the cmos battery move the reset link across press power button for 10 to 20 seconds with power disconnected. Put cmos battery back in move the reset link back. I then connected a new hard drive with Win7 on switched on and did all settings in bios. Now all up and running on Win 7. I have also upgraded with a 1tb SSD hard drive. My pc now boots up in under 10 seconds from power on.

January 19th, 2019 09:00

Try doing what I have stated in my post it worked for me. I kept pressing F12 numerous times but eventually got into bios.

1 Message

November 29th, 2020 14:00

after a lot of hassle and tinkering and looking for solutions, I have found the solution. everyone Listen the MOTHERBOARD IS NOT BROKEN. the motherboard looks for something bootable and not a USB or DVD but an HDD. the solution is grab an old pc or laptop and connect your DELL XPS HDD to it. Download RUFUS. open rufus and then do CTRL + ALT + F and you will see the disk of the dell. then select your MSDOS from the list and click on Make Bootable USB. ready then put the HDD Back in the DELL and tada it's working again.

No Events found!