Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

CP

March 8th, 2018 06:00

ps/2 pports added to MB 8700?

I have an XPS that is just out of warranty and the mouse and Keyboard stopped working. Both are wired.

Tried all the normal fixes , new mice and KB , changed to all the different ports, nothing, all I get is the opening

and nothing moves,

Started in F12    looked at settings there and  F4  but nothing.

Is it possible that I could purchase a PS/2 card to hook to the MB  to try to get this up an going again.

my entire work depends on it,

The only restore date on the F4 start was the day before  I found it dead and that is the day it happened,

I cannot  get another restore date with no Mice or KB movement.

• 

17K Posts

March 8th, 2018 08:00

CUTIE-PIE,

If your system recently did a Windows 10 Update click the link below.

USB Mouse, Keyboard and Other Devices are Non Responsive After Recent Windows 10 Update - KB4074588

If not, try the information below.

Reinstall the Chipset drivers in the system. Reboot and then plug the usb kb and mouse back into the USB Ports.

XPS 8700 Drivers, Downloads and Manuals

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 8th, 2018 12:00

You might also want to read this from Microsoft about this USB issue too:

KB4090913 addresses issue where some USB devices and onboard devices stop working 

March 8th, 2018 16:00

Yea I have read all the MS dribble  that is suppose to fix it, and I do believe they did it with auto updates,  even had them on the phone to help with a fix , all they told me was" cant help you because the mouse and KB does not work"!

My original post is" Mouse and keyboard are locked" Please tell me and MS techs how I  click on the task bar and type anything to fix this? How do you maneuver anywhere with the opening page  frozen?

They and all the other techs that type those fixes  fail to read the  symptoms, " the mouse and Keyboard is Locked " when you turn on the pc , none of the usb ports work or  different  Mice and Keyboards  don't work.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 8th, 2018 16:00

Are you saying your keyboard doesn't work before Windows loads?

Reboot and immediately press F2 to open BIOS Setup or F12 to open Boot Options. If that doesn't work, you have a different problem.

If mouse keyboard works before Windows loads, then follow this:

Method 2: Restoring your system without a working input device or a network connection

EDIT: And when you type in the command that's given at that link, pay careful attention to including the spaces in the right places and that there are 2 ~ in a row in one part of that command. :Wink:

March 9th, 2018 06:00

correct,  nothing works but the start button that turn on desktop, once  date and time appear nothing works,.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 9th, 2018 12:00

When was last time you replaced the motherboard battery? If it's old and/or never been replaced, I'd start with that. It's a CR2032 3-volt coin cell battery, ~$2.

Follow the instructions in the manual to replace the battery.  And use some canned air to clean out all the dust while you're in there. Then reboot and immediately  press F2 to open BIOS setup. Set the correct date/time but don't change anything else in BIOS setup. Be sure to save the date/time change before exiting setup.

If you're lucky, keyboard and mouse will work before and in Windows again. If keyboard and mouse work before Windows loads, but not after Windows loads, follow the instructions at the link in my earlier post to remove the offending Windows update.

No Events found!