Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 22nd, 2018 13:00

XPS 15 9560, Shuts down randomly

I have the Dell XPS 15 9560 and I've installed a new motherboard today. The laptop keeps shutting down randomly. Sometimes as soon as an intensive task starts (Unraring, opening 15 chrome tabs all at once, or any task that is demanding.) 

It shuts down sometimes after few mins and sometimes after seconds. The shutting down looks normal; I get "Shutting down..." screen and no errors or warnings.

Bios Version is 1.7.0 (even though the latest version on Dell's website is 1.6.2)

I've run Diagnostics (using F12 when the laptop starts) and all tests passed. 

Any advice?

1 Message

July 25th, 2018 05:00

I made up a case in my support area.

I got the advice to deinstall my "Intel thermal framework (hat A09 installed)" and to install "Intel thermal framework A04".

After that I made a burn in test with Furmark wich crashed my device before... and it seems to work.

CPU and GPU up to 100% (nearly) and seems to be stable.

Will test it with a game later on.

2 Posts

July 26th, 2018 05:00

Seems to be fixed by downgrading to Intel Thermal Framework A04

https://www.dell.com/support/home/de/de/dedhs1/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=JTXD1

Ran some burn in tests and a game with high CPU/GPU usage and it works....

8 Posts

July 28th, 2018 21:00

The problem seems to be solved with latest Intel A09 driver + latest BIOS 1.10.1.

July 30th, 2018 05:00

Also just updated BIOS and driver and it seems to work. Jesus.

17 Posts

August 23rd, 2018 11:00

I had the same problem with my 13-7359. Please see if my fix helps you:

LAPTOP SHUTS DOWN

October 14th, 2018 20:00

I've been having this exact problem - random laptop shutdowns - and I think I have found the solution for my xps 15 9560.  I thought it was related to the new battery I installed, but it is not.  I found out with my laptop that it is directly related to the Intel Graphics 530 driver.

1. 2 weeks ago, my laptop just kept randomly shutting down - like the power was just cut completely.

2. I updated the bios, but didn't seem to do anything.  Still shutting down.

3. I upgraded the "intel thermal management framework driver" - a solution I found on Dell support threads, but didn't seem to do anything.  Still randomly shutting down.

4. Finally, I installed an old 2016 Intel Graphics 530 driver instead of the currently installed 2017 driver.  

Suddenly, no shutdowns at all.  For a week straight now, I have not had one shutdown and my xps 15 has been running like a dream - long battery life!

Here is why I know the graphics driver is the culprit.  This morning, I went to Windows Update and saw on the list that it was going to update my Intel Graphics 530 driver.  I kept Windows Update open and watched it download and then install - and I restarted to let it finish all the updates it was doing.

As soon as I restarted, my random shutdowns began again!  Every 2 minutes or so, my xps started to randomly shut down.  After the 3rd shutdown, I quickly restarted and went directly to 'device manager' as fast as I could to roll back the Intel Graphics 530 driver.

As soon as I rolled the driver back to the 2016 driver, my xps is once again, not shutting down and working like a dream.  

I hope this might help anyone else having problems with this issue.  Now I just have to see if I can get Windows update to stop automatically updating that driver!

November 10th, 2018 12:00

Just repeat for new peoples who still have problems with it!

@paperman199 wrote:

I found solution for me, just install the oldest version of Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework from here, and all problems has gone.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=JTXD1

12 Posts

November 10th, 2018 13:00

The latest versions of the drivers have fixed this issue. No need to install old drivers anymore.

1 Message

November 24th, 2018 23:00

Can you clarify which new drivers are now safe to use? The Intel Graphics driver? The Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework A09 driver?

1 Message

December 10th, 2018 11:00

@paperman199 wrote:

I found solution for me, just install the oldest version of Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework from here, and all problems has gone.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=JTXD1

Thank you very much!!

i was having random Shutdown problem since July. I even stopped to use my laptop. Then I went to businesses trip and it is shutting down driving me crazy! I decided to reset PC, deleted everything from the hard drive -- but it didn't help. After one hour it started to shutdown and the did it more and more often. I called DELL support, I'd rather say "support". They wasted more than 2 hours of my time, charged $$$, but wasn't able to solve it. Thanks to this thread, i moved back this "thermal driver" and system seems to run stable again. 

im now using thermal driver: 8.2.11000.2996 from 2016. Newer driver caused random shutdowns and system restarts.

The only concern is: it might automatically install new, bad driver, behind my back. How can I prevent dell to update drivers? That's really bad for dell to release untested software and fail to fix driver problem for more than a year.

Anyway, thanks for the solution. It must be marked as "SOLVED" by dell moderators but they marked "solved" in this thread https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Dell-XPS-15-9560-Shuts-down-randomly/m-p/6064795#M9930 :) a message which gave no resolution whatsoever :) except "call us we will take your money" :)

2 Posts

February 12th, 2019 04:00

Entirely agree, this is a major BS, a laptop of that price shouldn't in 2019 be that bad....

I got mine two months ago and I have the same issue and more.

I wish I would have selected a linux and not a Dell/Microsft. 

2 Posts

February 12th, 2019 04:00

How come they don't fix this update... It's crazy, a laptop of that price having this sort of issues in 2019 is a ripoff. 

9 Posts

March 21st, 2019 06:00

Just a heads up: the most recent Intel Chipset driver, which is installed automatically when you use the Dell Updater or SupportAssist, seems to solve the overheating issue. At least it does for me! Thank you Dell for looking into this and solving the problem!
No Events found!