Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

45 Posts

August 6th, 2021 13:00

Inconsistent Internet Speeds on my Laptop

I have a Dell XPS 15 7590. All updates are up-to-date, utilizing the SupportAssist software module. 

My internet speeds are highly inconsistent. Using Speedtest.net, and using Spectrum's speed test site, I get the same results. When I run the test, the result could be 200+ (which is good, since I'm paying for 200), but five minutes later it may be only 49. 

• Results are the same whether I'm using WiFi or plugging an ethernet cable into my docking station (laptop has no ethernet plug)
  • My work laptop consistently returns 200+
  • My android phone and my wife's android phone consistently return 200+
  • My wife's Microsoft laptop consistently returns 200+ 
  • I have disabled, waited a few minutes, then re-enabled the device driver for my wireless network adapter, no change  
  • I have searched for driver updates for my wireless network adapter - none available 
  • Wireless network adapter showing in Device Manager is "Killer(R) WiFi 6 AZ1650x 160 MHz Wireless Network Adapter (200NGW)"  
  • Below is a screen shot of my Network Adaptors in the Device Manager window 

Since all other devices are consistently fast, I'm assuming it's my laptop that is the issue.

What advice do you have for me? 

I am running Windows 10, which is also kept up-to-date.

Device specs: 

Device name DESKTOP-OL0AOLT
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.7 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Windows Specs: 

Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 21H1
Installed on ‎8/‎2/‎2020
OS build 19043.1110
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0

Devices.JPG

1 Rookie

• 

45 Posts

August 7th, 2021 14:00

Bought a new router to replace the Spectrum router...that didn't fix it entirely but helped. Spectrum tech came out today and found a broken cable in the attic with some exposed wires. Replaced the cable, still had issues, so he then replaced the modem (which was giving no error messages when he tested) and that seems to have fixed the issues. However, it's still odd that it would impact my laptop without impacting other devices in the house, but the tech claimed that the exposed wires in the attic could possibly cause that to happen. We'll see. Thanks for your help! 

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

August 6th, 2021 13:00

Do you have Smartbyte installed? If so uninstall it asap. This forum page may help.

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

August 7th, 2021 15:00

Happy to help out! And yes I have seen some very strange problems with wiring and routers. 

No Events found!