Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

2 Posts

April 9th, 2021 06:00

XPS 13 9370 fan always on

Hello,

Starting 2-3 weeks ago, the fan on my XPS13 runs constantly. It's worse when there is high CPU/memory usage, but even when things are low it never turns off (see below). It does not feel warmer than usual. 

I'd read the "Antimalware Service Executable" can hog resources and followed all of the advice to reduce its privileges, exclude its own folder from scans, and schedule scans to once a week. Despite this, it is still be far the most resource intensive background process. But doesn't seem like it should be enough to explain this. 

I also installed Dell Power Manager and tried all of the thermal management settings... most of them make it worse, none of them resolve it (even "Quiet" the fan stays on constantly).

All drivers, BIOS, etc are up to date, diagnostic scans to not flag any problems. 

Any ideas would be appreciated, this is driving me nuts. 

EDIT: I do have one diagnostic error... "battery is nearing the end of its useful life"... which, yeah, I noticed. 

mh73_0-1617974772894.png

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 9th, 2021 08:00

Please download / install latest Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Driver from your Dell Product Support page. You can do this by clicking on link below. The Dell utility usually will automatically find computer model number and service tag number. Select model number, you should be able to see your computer drivers, firmware and applications

Drivers & Downloads | Dell US

Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework (chipset) Driver is a power and thermal management solution that is used to resolve fan noise, overheating, and performance-related issues of the system.

Also, check out the information in the links below, hopefully it would be a help to you

Loud fan noise and high CPU usage occurs with the XPS 13 9370 | Dell US

And....

How to Troubleshoot Fan Issues | Dell US

2 Posts

April 11th, 2021 08:00

No change in behavior after installing the Intel thing. 

System is currently running at <10% CPU and <50% RAM, CPU temperature is 55-60C and fan is constantly running. 

The biggest memory hog is of course Chrome, followed by Anitmalware Service Executable, which is still constantly running at  >250MB RAM despite only being scheduled to run once a week. 

No Events found!