Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

2 Posts

September 5th, 2021 10:00

XPS 15 7590 no longer charging with TB16 dock

Issue is XPS 15 7590 notebook (NB) not charging with TB16 dock (w/ USB-C Thunderbolt). Windows shows plugged in & charging but battery percentage goes down. Both NB & dock about 14 months old when issue started.

Dock charged NB ok since new, however area of NB adjacent to USB-C port would be very warm, if not hot, when dock plugged in. Then at about 14 months old charging no longer worked via the TB16 Dock.

NB charges fine via NB charger & barrel plug, but only if charger plugged in first. Dock works normally otherwise - USB devices and display link monitor are working fine.

On Dell Community, I see lots of identical issues with XPSs & docks over last few years. All say that issue was ultimately resolved through motherboard replacement. Called support and they wanted me to get (buy) a new dock – based on Community comments, that was ridiculous.

Anyone have/had a similar issue recently? Or have a solution/suggestion?

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

The Type C/Thunderbolt port is the root cause. 

The SAD part is that machine only has 1 such port and unlike regular charging port it's soldered on motherboard. Instead of Buying a new dock this can be confirmed by plugging in a compatible Type C charger (if you have any) 

If the machine is in warranty you need to contact technical support for Motherboard replacement. 

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

Your battery might be wearing down. Today's batteries begin to wear out or even fail after only 18 months to 2 years. See this- FAQ - Laptop battery articles - Dell Community

2 Posts

September 5th, 2021 15:00

XPS_Man... Thanks for the response; the Type C/Thunderbolt port on the NB motherboard being the root cause is in line with what I've been reading.

FYI, I do have a phone Type C charger, when I plug in, I get  a message that the charger does not have the enough wattage (makes sense). I suspect the port is correctly sensing the Type C for charging is plugged in, but is simply not passing the current to the battery. Hence with the Type C/Thunderbolt it shows it charging, but it is not.

Unfortunately, my warranty has expired, but the Dell site gives me an option to extend it - I will explore that. 

Thanks again!

2 Posts

September 13th, 2021 10:00

I'm having the same issue too on XPS 9560, I believe it happened after the BIOS update and started getting boot message about not recognizing dock/power capability.  I also lost my integrated webcam and believe it is related to same BIOS update.  Unfortunately Dell has somehow locked the BIOS so I can't revert to previous version to verify.  Anyone know how to override BIOS lock?

2 Posts

September 14th, 2021 06:00

Update to above.  Found an article to reset the TB16 dock by turning of laptop, disconnect dock from laptop and 240W PS and hold TB16 power button for 30s.  Reconnect and try again, work for me.  article here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/821wwf/thunderbolt_dock_tb16240w_does_not_charge_xps_15/

No Events found!