Article summary: This article explains how to connect to the X series switches using a mini USB to USB connection
You will need to download the Windows driver for USB console connections, and install it on your workstation. Do not plug in the USB console connection until the driver has been installed.
- Go to www.dell.com/support/home
- Enter your service tag under Enter a Service Tag or Express Service Code and press Submit, or navigate to View products > Servers, Storage, & Networking > Networking > Fixed Port Switches > Sell Networking X1000 or X4000 series.
- Click on Drivers & downloads
- Download the Firmware zip file under Network. The firmware file includes all files needed for X series management.
- Extract the file, then extract MicroUSB Folder
- Install the driver with the CDM application file
Now connect to the switch
- Plug the workstation to the switch using the USB to micro USB cable
- Ensure the switch is powered on
- Navigate to your Device manager > Ports (COM & LPT)
- Find out which COM port you currently have active. It is usually COM3 or higher
- Open putty
- Under Session ensure Serial is selected, and replace COM1 with the proper COM number
- Click Open
- Press Enter, you should see a prompt. Here you may access the switch for limited configuration, and getting information
If your USB to micro USB cable is not working. Try another cable if available. Check whether a driver needs to be installed for the device in device manager.
The serial settings are
- 9600 baud
- 8 data bits
- 1 stop bits
- Parity none
- Flow control none