Webcams allow you to communicate face to face (virtually) even when you are not in the same room through apps such as Microsoft Teams, Skype, Zoom and other communication apps. Webcams are integrated on laptops, all-in-ones, select Dell monitors, and you can use external USB webcams on desktops. If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, the suggested quick steps might help.
- The webcam is not working correctly
- The webcam screen is black, blank, or dark
- The webcam image or video looks fuzzy, dim, or grainy
- The webcam is not detected in communication apps such as Microsoft Teams, Skype, or Zoom
Here are a few quick steps that you can take to resolve your webcam issue
Try each step and check if your webcam issue is resolved. If the issue is not resolved, proceed to the next step.
- Ensure that you are in a well-lit room. A dimly lit room will cause the webcam image to be grainy or dim.
- Check the privacy settings in Windows 10 and above. Privacy settings in Windows 10 and above can restrict an app from accessing the webcam.
- Check the default camera device in apps such as Microsoft Teams, Skype, or Zoom. See the software manufacturers website to learn how to set the default camera device in the app.
- Save any data, close any open programs, and restart the computer..
- Optimize your Dell computer using the SupportAssist app that is installed on your Dell computer. If SupportAssist is not available on your computer, proceed to the next step.
- Go to Dell.com/support/drivers, download and install the latest BIOS and latest drivers for your Dell computer.
NOTE: When there are no webcam drivers listed for Windows 11, Windows 10, or Windows 8(8.1) on the Dell.com/support website, it means that Microsoft provides the webcam drivers through Windows Update. Windows Update will install new webcam drivers when available. In this case Dell does not host webcam drivers for such computers.
- Download and install the latest operating system updates.
- Run the SupportAssist hardware test on the webcam. If the test fails, contact Dell Technical Support.
If these quick steps did not resolve your issue, we have more detailed information in the additional resources. You can also search for content related to the issue using the search bar at the top of this page.