No cause information available.
What are Dell Update and Alienware Update?
Dell Update (for consumer and client computers only) and Alienware Update (for Alienware computers only) are software that automatically updates critical fixes and important device drivers as they become available. This ensures that your Dell personal computer has the most critical updates without you having to check online and install them yourself. Dell Update software is supported on select Dell Inspiron, Vostro, XPS, and Alienware Update is supported on Alienware PCs running Microsoft Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10. Device driver and application updates may help in the following areas:
- Performance improvements
- Expand compatibility
- Fix minor issues
NOTE: Dell Update software is available for select Dell Inspiron, Vostro, XPS, and Alienware Update for select Alienware desktops and laptops.
Back to top
How to download Dell Update or Alienware Update application?
To download the latest version of Dell Update or Alienware Update for your Dell personal computer:
NOTE: Dell Update or Alienware Update software should be run on the Dell personal computer where you want to download and install the driver update.
You must log in as a user with administrator privileges to apply updates using the Dell Update and Alienware Update applications.
- Browse to Dell Drivers & Downloads website.
- Identify your Dell product.
- Click Download & Install SupportAssist to auto-detect your Dell product.
Follow the on-screen instructions to install Dell SupportAssist. For more information, see the Dell knowledge base article Dell SupportAssist (formerly Dell System Detect): Overview and Common Questions.
- Or, enter the Service Tag, Express Service Code, or the Serial number of the Dell product and click Search.
- Or, click Browse all products to manually select your Dell product from the catalog.
- You can locate Dell Update or Alienware Update manually using Find drivers option:
- Keyword search box - Enter the keyword Dell Update or Alienware Update.
- Operating System & Category filters - Select the operating system that is installed on your Dell personal computer and choose the driver category Application.
- Click the download icon next to the driver of your choice and save the file. Click Show All to see the remaining drivers.
- Using File Explorer (also known as Windows Explorer), browse to the location where the downloaded file was saved.
- Double-click the .exe driver installation file and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process.
- Restart the computer.
Back to top
Frequently asked questions
Dell Update is supported by select Dell desktops and laptops:
- Dell Inspiron
- Dell Vostro
- Dell XPS
Alienware Update is supported by select Alienware desktops and laptops:
NOTE: Dell Update software is available only for select Dell PCs
Dell Update and Alienware Update software are compatible with 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Microsoft Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8 and Windows 7.
No, Dell Update and Alienware Update software are not supported on Dell Precision workstation computers.
Dell Update and Alienware software are compatible with Microsoft Windows only. Dell Update and Alienware software are not compatible with Ubuntu or other Linux distributions.
Dell Update and Alienware software must be installed and run on the Dell computer on which you want to download and install the drivers and firmware.
- Use Windows Updates to get the latest Windows updates.
- Right-click Start and click Settings.
- In the Settings panel, click Update & Security.
- On the left panel, select Windows Update.
- On the right panel, click Check for updates.
- Restart the computer when prompted.
- Use the SupportAssist application to get the latest Dell drivers for your computer.
- Browse to the Dell SupportAssist for PCs page to learn how to install and use the SupportAssist application.
- Press and hold the Windows key (), and then press the q key.
- In the search box type, add or remove programs.
- Select Add or remove programs (System settings) from the list.
- Locate and select Dell Update in the list, select Uninstall, and follow the prompts.
- Close the Apps & features window when done.
Back to top