What is Dell Update?
Dell Update is a software that automatically updates critical fixes and important device drivers as they become available. This ensures that your Dell PC has the most critical updates without you having to check online and install them yourself. Dell Update software is supported on select Dell Inspiron, Vostro, XPS and Alienware PCs running Microsoft Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10. Device driver and application updates may help in the following areas:
- Performance improvements
- Expand compatibility
- Fix minor issues
Note: Dell Update software is available for select Dell Inspiron, Vostro, XPS and Alienware PCs.
Back to top
How to download Dell Update application?
To download the latest version of Dell Update for your Dell PC:
Note: Dell Update software should be run on the Dell PC where you want to download and install the driver update.
You must log in as a user with administrator privileges to apply updates using the Dell Update application.
Back to top
- Browse to Dell Drivers & Downloads website.
- Identify your Dell product.
- Click Detect Product to auto-detect your Dell product.
Follow the on-screen instructions to install the Dell Detect application. Refer to the Dell knowledge-base article Dell System Detect for more information.
- Enter the Service Tag, Express Service Code or Serial number for your Dell product and click Submit.
- Select your Dell product manually by clicking View Products.
- Click Drivers & downloads tab on the left.
- You can locate Dell Update using:
- Keyword search box - Enter the keyword Dell Update.
- Operating System & Category filters - Select the operating system installed on your Dell PC and choose the driver category Application.
- Click the download icon next to the driver of your choice and save the file.
You may have to click View More to see more drivers.
- Using File Explorer (also known as Windows Explorer), browse to the location where the downloaded file was saved.
- Double-click on the .exe driver installation file and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process.
- Reboot your PC.
Frequently Asked Questions
Back to top
Dell Update is supported by some:
- Dell Inspiron
- Dell Vostro
- Dell XPS
- Dell Alienware
Note: Dell Update software is available only for select Dell PCs
Dell Update software is compatible with 32-bit and 64-bit version of Microsoft Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8 and Windows 7.
No, Dell Update software is not supported on Dell Precision workstation PCs.
Dell Update software is compatible with Microsoft Windows only. Dell Update software is not compatible with Ubuntu or other Linux distributions.
Dell Update software has to be installed and run on the Dell PC on which you want to download and install the drivers and firmware.
- Use Windows Updates to get the latest Windows updates
- Right-click Start and click Settings.
- In the Settings panel, click Update & Security.
- On the left panel, select Windows Update.
- On the right panel, click Check for updates.
- Restart the computer when prompted.
- Use the SupportAssist application to get the latest Dell drivers for your computer.
- Browse to the Dell Dell SupportAssist for PCs page to learn how to install and use the SupportAssist application.