Start a Conversation

Unsolved

1 Message

March 1st, 2019 09:00

Area-51 R1, Thermal Controller error message

Greetings all!

I've come across a weird message that popped up a few days ago.  On the plus, it doesn't seem to interfere with my machine's functionality AND I can still bring up the Thermal Controls and use them.  I just get the attached error message.  Here's the type of machine I have (and yes, it's old, thank you ;) ):

Alienware Area 51
Alienware CommandCenter v2.6.1.0
OperatingSystem: MS Windows 7 Home Premium Edition

I'm open to suggestions on how to resolve the matter and where to look forward additional information.

Thanks for the help!

Thermal Controller Error.jpg

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 1st, 2019 13:00

You can try shutting-down and un-plugging from wall-AC. Do the infamous power-dissipation/release-flea-power procedure.

If that doesn't work, you can try running Dell 32bit Diagnostics (similar to ePSA) OUTSIDE of Windows. Sometimes, that will reset MIO-Board:

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General-Read-Only/Command-Center-2-7-25-0-Will-not-display-Temp-Readings/td-p/5532170

2 Intern

• 

1.8K Posts

March 2nd, 2019 18:00

Hi, try (now or later) one of the newer latest last CmndCntrs 2.8.9 | 2.8.11 (requires .netframework 3.5)

Typically these errors pop up if the desktop has sat for a while & normally go away after a simple restart; if error continues to pop up, were it mine, I'd do power dissipation as instructed (yank wall cord > hold top exterior button down one minute > rest one minute > plug back in & power up & see if error goes away

No? Launch your CmndCntr.exe file as if u are trying to install it & attempt a 'repair', see if after reboot error goes away

No? Uninstall CmndCntr & re-install 2.6.1 or newer version (various methods below)

No? 32bit Diag as instructed

No? Basics to work towards solutions: Alienware Desktops MIO (Master Input/Output) Troubleshooting and Policy & Desktop Command Center Issues with fans, lights, or vents

My opinion? Uninstall ancient 2.6.1 & try 2.8.9

Command Center Clean Installation
* Be sure you have Admin privileges. Disable any Virus Protection software temporarily
* Uninstall the Command Center through the Control Panel- Add/Remove Programs
* Download and install CCleaner (Note - I chose to not install the CCleaner yahoo! Toolbar)
* Run CCleaner
* Click Registry
* Click Scan for Issues
* Click Fix selected Issues
* Click Yes to backup the registry
* Click Fix All Selected issues
* Restart the PC
* Run CCleaner again
* Click Registry
* Click Scan for Issues
* Click Fix selected Issues
* Click Yes to backup the registry
* Click Fix All Selected issues
* Install the latest Command Center from our website. Not from the Resource DVD
* Reboot the PC when finished

Also:

To correctly reinstall Command Center on your Area-51 or Aurora systems, please follow these steps:

1. Uninstall Command Center from the Control Panel > Programs and Features.

2. Open My Computer, click Folder and Search Options, choose the View Tab and enable Show hidden files and folders. Click OK.

3. Go to C:/Program Data/Alienware/Command Center/Thermal Controls and delete the Profile.xml file.

4. Go to C:/Users//AppData/Local/Alienware/Alienware AlienFX/Themes and delete all *.ath files.

5. Verify that the device manager doesn't have any unknown devices under Universial Serial Bus Controllers. If there are unknown devices see the note below.

6. Restart the computer.

7. Download the latest version of Command Center available and run it.

8. Complete the Alien Command Center installation by answer Yes to all dialogue pop-ups. During the installation process, the Master I/O board firmware will be updated. Do not shut down the computer at this time. If the firmware update process fails, please contact Alienware for support.

9. Restart the computer.

10. Verify that there are no Unknown devices under Universal serial Bus Controllers. If there are unknown devices see the note below.

11. Launch AlienCommand Center. 

Note: If there are unknown devices on the device manager, or no device is detected please do the following:

a. Verify the Master I/O board USB cable is properly connected to the motherboard and to the Master I/O board.

b. Drain the MB power for 1 minute.

Also:

1. Uninstall Alienware Command Center from Program and Features
  2. Windows 8/8.1/10: Right click on the lower left hand side of the screen
  • Windows 7: Click Start > Control Panel > Programs and features
    1. Launch the Run Command
    2. + R on the customer's keyboard
  • Windows 8/8.1/10: Right click on the lower left hand side of the screen
  • Windows 7: Click Start > Run
  1. Type %appdata% and press Enter

2. Delete any Alienware Folder. If the folder is not there just continue.

3. Type %programdata% and press Enter

4. Delete any Alienware Folder. If the folder is not there just continue.

5. Go To C:\Program Files\Alienware\

Older versions of command center will be under C:\Program Files (x86), please check both folders.

6. Delete the Command Center Folder Only

7. Go to the Documents Folder (My Documents on Win 7)

8. Delete the AlienFX and Alienware TactX Folders

9. Launch the Run Command

10. Type regedit

11. Search the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Alienware

1. Delete the following folders only: (Some of these may not be present, just delete the ones present)
    2. AlienFXMediaPlugin
  • Alienware AlienFX
  • CCPlugins
  • Command Center
  1. Search the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Alienware

1. Delete the following folders only: (Some of these may not be present, just delete the ones present)
    2. AlienFXMediaPlugin
  • Alienware AlienFX
  • Command Center
  1. Restart the system

2. Download and install the latest Alienware Command Center version from Dell.com
No Events found!