Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 15th, 2021 08:00

Precision 5520 screen downgrade UHD to FHD

Hi everyone!

I have a Precision 5520 mobile workstation with a UHD touch screen. While it is a razor sharp screen it unfortunately gives me a lot of issues with scaling that I didn't expect at the time when I configured it. I would really love to downgrade the screen to an FHD screen for both performance and battery reasons.

I already spent countless hours researching whether or not this is technically possible. What makes things worse is that there is a lot of contradictory information about this subject.

E.g. here it says about the very similar XPS 9560:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-9560-screen-replacement-UHD-touch-to-FHD-non-touch/td-p/6114329

Which suggests, that it is possible. Also, an e-mail exchange with the Dell support (about my specific model) said the same (I asked whether this is possible, and the answer was "yes, you have to order part N° N98CY).

Then, there are a lot of parts sellers, who say it is not possible because of incompatibilities between this 30-pin and 40-pin display connector, e.g.:

https://www.blisscomputers.net/15-6-led-lcd-screen-full-assembly-for-dell-xps-15-9560-n98cy-1920x1080-non-touch-671539/ 

This is very frustrating.

I find it hard to believe that Dell acutally uses two different types of mainboard depending if you initially configured the laptop with a UHD or an FHD screen. Could somebody give me a final statement on this? I would like to avoid ordering a screen assembly and disassembling my laptop just for trying it out.

Thanks in advance!

217 Posts

January 19th, 2021 13:00

So, if looks like it would be a pretty good bet ordering that dell part number from an ebay seller.

The part number is for the entire assembly including lid and EDP cable.  The key with laptop displays is that the video cable needs to be for the exact screen resolution and have the right connector for the motherboard.  (The 30 vs 40 pin statement is based on the physical connector on the LCD panel.  All of the images on ebay look to have the exact same motherboard connector as the UHD cable.

January 18th, 2021 23:00

Mine's a 4K XPS 9560 and I too am split between downgrading and not, given the 30/40-pin connector ambiguity. Also, there apparently are 2 FHD panels for mine - 74XJT and N98CY which serves to make it all the more dubious as I can't find any info that calls them apart.

Really hope to see someone expound on this!

3 Posts

January 21st, 2021 07:00

Thank you for your response! I looked at some of the product images and I think you have a point, despite most of the sellers denying this. I ordered an N98CY assembly. I will update you about the results once I have it.

3 Posts

February 3rd, 2021 13:00

I installed the panel today, and I can confirm that it works. For anyone who might be interested, I uploaded a video for this purpose: https://youtu.be/9yAZxDH-cHk Thanks @JamesJAB1 for your support! It was really helpful.
No Events found!