rwgordon
2 Bronze

Re: XPS 8930 Corsair CPU Liquid Cooler, GTX 1080 Hybrid, upg

Used a dremel with a cutting wheel (probably used 5 or 6 as they are thin and break easy) Left the grid as I didn't want to remove the hole for the pin off the front bezel as I think they may add stability  for the bezel. And yes I lightly shave the pin off on the bezel so it wouldn't poke the radiator.The case by the old harddrive location I trimmed with tin snips best I could get at it then used dremel with grinding wheel  for the rest, probably removed about half the thickness. Wish I had removed more as bottom of radiator  partially  blocked a  guide hole(closed side of case) for front bezel so had to shave it a bit. The H75 kit would have helped there with it's shorter radiator.

0 Kudos
HanoverB
3 Cadmium

@rwgordon wrote:

Used a dremel with a cutting wheel (probably used 5 or 6 as they are thin and break easy) Left the grid as I didn't want to remove the hole for the pin off the front bezel as I think they may add stability  for the bezel. And yes I lightly shave the pin off on the bezel so it wouldn't poke the radiator.The case by the old harddrive location I trimmed with tin snips best I could get at it then used dremel with grinding wheel  for the rest, probably removed about half the thickness. Wish I had removed more as bottom of radiator  partially  blocked a  guide hole(closed side of case) for front bezel so had to shave it a bit. The H75 kit would have helped there with it's shorter radiator.

Good points. I had written down that there is 154mm under that metal lip that bends down  The H75 radiator is 5mm shorter in height and probably would fit right under that lip where the H60 hits..   It's a little thinner than the H60 radiator but should work fine.

Pic of H60 radiator against the metal lip

Radiator up.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HanoverB
3 Cadmium

Since the subject of a case swap with the XPS 8930 has come up a couple of times I did take a look at the motherboard a little closer and was able to figure out the pinouts for the front panel and motherboard connections.   For the most part they are industry standard Intel configurations.  There are a couple of possible issues with moving into a new case and I listed them below.

The PSU connects to the motherboard at the off white 24 pin ATX connector to the right of the RAM slots and the white 4 pin CPU power connector at the upper left.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

1)  Two USB 3.1 headers (blue and black) which are standard 19 pin connectors.   On the XPS 8930, they are connected to the 2 USB 3.1 ports and the USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C port on the top IO panel.

They are marked F USB1 and F USB 2 on the motherboard.  The blue header is for the USB 3.1 Gen Type C port and the Left USB 3.1 port.  The black header is for the right two USB 3.1 ports.  So a new case with USB 3.1 ports will connect to one or both headers.   

The front USB 3.1 Type C port is only 5 Gbps, the same speed as the other 3.1 USB ports.   Just a different connector.

Edit:  With a XPS 8930 case swap,  both the USB connectors from the XPS 8930 IO panel from the top of the case need to be connected into the motherboard USB headers.

USB.JPG

2) The front panel connector is a standard industry connector and Dell chose to use it only for their power button and LED.  Dell used only pins 2 and 4 for the power button LED, 6 and 8 for the power button.  There is a jumper between 5 and 9.   

Edit: Jumper is necessary on the XPS 8930 model to prevent a startup error.   The jumper is a female to female connector for a 0.1" /  2.54mm header.

IMG_7305.JPG

With a new case you can use the pins on that header for the Power, Power LED, Reset, HD Power LED connections.  There is a Front Panel diagram on the XPS 8930 motherboard that shows the configuration for the pins. 

F Panel.JPG

Excel Pins 2.JPG

On the XPS 8930 motherboard the pins on the  F Panel header are numbered like this.

2 4 6 8 10

1 3 5 7 9

Motherboard pins 2.JPG

Pic of Industry Standard Front Panel with the same pin numbering.

Standard Industry FP Pinouts.JPG

3) The Audio connector is a standard HD Audio 10 pin connector with a pin typically missing at 8.  This header controls the headphone jack and mic jack on the upper IO panel.   So a case with the same jacks should have the same connector.

Audio Pins.JPG

Standard Audio Pinouts.JPG

Okay so far things look to be okay for the new case and motherboard.  USB, Front Panel and Audio look to be straightforward.

But there are a couple of issues that might arise.  One has to do with the Card Reader and the other the IO Shield.

4)   Dell uses a 6 pin connector for the Multi-Card Reader on their upper IO panel.  On the motherboard it is marked CARD READER.

Card Reader.JPG

IMG_7307.JPG

The problem that might arise is that the BIOS is setup to recognize a card reader connected to that header and if it isn’t connected you might get a startup error.  Just not sure how the BIOS would handle the issue of an open header.  Will have to check this next time I open up my machine.  One way around that might be to use the card reader from the XPS 8930 upper IO panel and somehow get that into the new case connected to the header.   

Edit:  Confirmed by RWGordon that you will get a startup error with this header open on the XPS 8930.  Connect the card reader connector from the XPS 8930 IO panel to this header with a case swap.

5)  With a case swap, one of the issues that is present is the IO shield on the XPS 8930 is built into the case so it is not removable to be transferred into the IO shield opening of a new case.

IO shield.JPG

IO Pic.JPG

So when you install the motherboard you will be seeing the rear connectors and a hole in the back of the case.   Might bother you but it will be on the back of the case and out of sight.  Should not affect case pressure or have any other effects.

However there is a seller on the big auction site that has this item where you are able to create an IO Shield.  Use the back of the case as a template and should be easy to create new IO shield.

s-l500 (1).jpgs-l500 (2).jpg

6) Fan Headers

Fan headers:  Left is TOP FAN header, right is CPU FAN header.  Both are 4 pin PWM.   3 pin fans can be connected to them but they will run at full speeds.

Fan headers.JPG

Edit  2/21/19:  Summary of XPS 8930 requirements as workaround for a successful case swap:

• The top IO panel from ths XPS 8930 chassis needs to be inside the new case as part of the case swap.
  • USB connector from the XPS 8930 top IO panel, both blue connector and black connector installed on the motherboard. Blue to blue header.  Black to black header.
  • SD card connector from the IO panel to the motherboard Card Reader header
  • Jumper on motherboard front panel connector on pins 5 and 9.
  • Must install a PCIE USB 3.0 card with a 20 pin USB 3.0 connector onboard into one of the PCI-E slots below the GPU. Connect the front panel USB connector on the new case to connectors on the installed PCIE USB 3.0 card.   You will be bypassing the USB headers on the motherboard.

Sounds complicated?  Not really, once you see how it's done on the case swap posts.

Edit 08/25/19

Preliminary case swap information for Alienware Aurora R7/R8 found here.

ZeusMastah
2 Bronze

I have a done a swap on a 8920 SE and can confirm that there is no issue with having an open header in the “card reader” slot. Thanks for your detailed post!

HanoverB
3 Cadmium

@ZeusMastah wrote:

I have a done a swap on a 8920 SE and can confirm that there is no issue with having an open header in the “card reader” slot. Thanks for your detailed post!

Thanks a lot for that info.  Good to hear of the successful case swap. :Yes:

How do you like the NZXT H500 case?

Were us able to get the front USB, audio and power buttons to work properly?  Any issues with the swap?

0 Kudos
chosmer
1 Copper

So, I am liking this thread. Looks like a lot of options. I will have to look into these for sure. 

I picked up my 8930 on the outlet for a great price. Came with i7 9700K , 1070Ti, and 32 GB. 

So first thing I did was change the PSU to a Corsair RM650X. 

The CPU and GPU get VERY hot. Both Running over 90C on a load. I run a three screen setup as well, using the Nvidia surround feature. Here is a pic of the stock cooler that is came with. It does not do a good job. I notice that this case is basically the same as the Alienware case with different plastic on the outside.  

IMG_20190122_085023729.jpgStock Cooler

I am not afraid of doing some drilling and cutting to get liquid cooling. I even like the idea of a case transplant, though I just got the box, so that would void any warranty. 

I did order the fan bracket that goes right in on the front. Plus I also ordered the Deep Cool FH-10 for fan management. Thinking that should help with some airflow. 

The 1070ti card has the blower style fan. Not sure if I can do anything to mod that. 

I do not have any issues with noise, sure I don't want it to sound like a jet engine, but the PC (i7 4790, Dual GT 970, 32GB) this is replacing was noisy. I do love the CPU cooler I have on that PC (Noctua NH-U9S, Premium CPU Cooler with NF-A9 92mm Fan) , but WAY to big for this box. I would like to hear if anyone has had any luck with other 3rd party CPU coolers instead of going the liquid cooled route. 

So any advice is most welcome. 

0 Kudos
546insp
3 Cadmium

@HanoverB wrote:

@rwgordon wrote:

Good points. The H75 radiator is 5mm shorter in height and probably would fit right under that lip where the H60 hits.   It's a little thinner than the H60 radiator but should work fine.

Radiator up.jpg

You're almost the king of cool but you didn't block the mesh vents with tape from recirculating around those front fans.

Dell XPS 8920 silver edition
7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Samsung 850 evo SSD for boot
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card
I buy a new Dell every 4 years for the last 25 years

0 Kudos
HanoverB
3 Cadmium

@chosmer wrote:

So, I am liking this thread. Looks like a lot of options. I will have to look into these for sure. 

I picked up my 8930 on the outlet for a great price. Came with i7 9700K , 1070Ti, and 32 GB. 

So first thing I did was change the PSU to a Corsair RM650X. 

The CPU and GPU get VERY hot. Both Running over 90C on a load. I run a three screen setup as well, using the Nvidia surround feature. Here is a pic of the stock cooler that is came with. It does not do a good job. I notice that this case is basically the same as the Alienware case with different plastic on the outside.  

IMG_20190122_085023729.jpgStock Cooler

I am not afraid of doing some drilling and cutting to get liquid cooling. I even like the idea of a case transplant, though I just got the box, so that would void any warranty. 

I did order the fan bracket that goes right in on the front. Plus I also ordered the Deep Cool FH-10 for fan management. Thinking that should help with some airflow. 

The 1070ti card has the blower style fan. Not sure if I can do anything to mod that. 

I do not have any issues with noise, sure I don't want it to sound like a jet engine, but the PC (i7 4790, Dual GT 970, 32GB) this is replacing was noisy. I do love the CPU cooler I have on that PC (Noctua NH-U9S, Premium CPU Cooler with NF-A9 92mm Fan) , but WAY to big for this box. I would like to hear if anyone has had any luck with other 3rd party CPU coolers instead of going the liquid cooled route. 

So any advice is most welcome. 

So is that another 92mm top fan that came with that system?   

The GTX 1070ti is intended to run up to it's 83C throttle point in use so its not supposed to get that hot.....and since both the CPU and GPU are getting stressed, what resolution is the main monitor in your setup?   Those are temps when gaming?

0 Kudos
rwgordon
2 Bronze

These photos are of the  finished look of project, very little open grill ,radiator is flush against case and have the Aurora 6 snap in fan(switched fan inside it to lower volume one) in lower position.Minimal  gaps around Aurora fan. Very pleased with cooling, recoding right now with Handbrake, temps Grill2.jpgInside case.jpg57-62c use to be high 70's c

rwgordon
2 Bronze

Disconnected cable on my 8930 to sdcard header on MB and got start up error. If I go that route of recasing I may have to do what HanoverB suggested "to use the card reader from the XPS 8930 upper IO panel and somehow get that into the new case connected to the header. "