Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

January 17th, 2022 09:00

Can the 9510 have 2x SSDs?

I was going to buy an XPS 15 9510, but I'm getting conflicting information from Dell on whether I can install a 2nd SSD.

One sales agent told me (via chat) that you can install 2 SSDs.  Another told me you can only have 1 SSD (because the 2nd M.2 slot is used by the wireless module).  They told me that a design change to the battery meant the wireless module had to be moved.

But the service manual clearly shows 2 SSDs and gives instructions on how to add / remove them:
https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-uk/xps-15-9510-laptop/xps-15-9510-service-manual/solid-state-drive?guid=guid-42a997f5-329d-4712-8018-6c6114c5255f&lang=en-us

Can anyone confirm if new 9510s can have 2x SSDs, or only 1?

2 Posts

March 19th, 2022 07:00

Yes, you can install 2 SSDs. I just purchased a Dell XPS 15 9510 in Feb 2022, configured with the Dell 1 TB SSD option. I then purchased a Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB SSD (PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2) and installed it in the second slot.

It works and now appears as my drive, but only after a lot of work and experimentation.

When I first booted the laptop after installation it did not recognize the 2nd drive. I contacted tech support, read the documentation, explored the BIOS settings and had no luck. Then I noticed that Dell had installed my primary OEM C: drive in what the documentation shows as being slot 2. I was told that made no difference, but I swapped the two, putting the OEM drive back in slot 1 and the new Samsung drive in slot 2. Once booted, the XPS 15 recognized BOTH drives, but the Disk Management app was showing the Samsung drive as Drive 0 and the OEM drive as Drive 1. Again, I was told it didn't matter, but I swapped the drives again and found that the XPS 15 now showed the OEM C: drive as Drive 0 and the Samsung as Drive 1. Success!

There's one more step that you have to go through in the Disk Management app to properly configure the volume for the Samsung as the drive. You need to right-click on the Drive 1 in the Disk Management app of Windows, click on New Simple Volume option, go through the wizard and assign it to D and give it a volume name. It's shown in this YouTube video:

https://youtu.be/-1qEm9gCXXI?t=377

In addition to all of this, you'll need a special set of tools and a heat sink, which are described in this video:

https://youtu.be/aTgf2pVwhLQ

Getting the bottom cover off of an XPS 15 is not easy the first time you try it. Be careful!

Be careful too when you buy the heat sink. Because of the swapping described above, I ordered the wrong one first and had to reorder. You would think that you'd order the one for Slot 2 but I had to order the one for Slot 1 as Dell had used Slot 2 for the OEM drive. So the one for Slot 1 is what I needed:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08M3SD3T4?ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details&th=1

All in all, this was a very frustrating and time-consuming experience. I let Dell know that I was very unhappy that they didn't offer a second SSD as an option upon purchase, and that I had to go through all this for a simple upgrade. I was perfectly willing to pay whatever it cost to get the computer I wanted, and this turned into a very poor buying experience. Be careful to that they don't lead you down the path to applying for Dell credit for a small discount, unless you really want that.

I'm now experiencing the "joy" of Windows 11. All I tried to do was to download an FTP app that I use and either Windows 11 or Edge or some security setting kept me from even doing the download. It required that I assign this to Edge, so now when I click on the downloadable exe file, it opens Edge and does nothing. Have fun!

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

On top of that, there are various posts in these forums that discuss adding a 2nd SSD to the 9510, but now I don't know if those users have an older model with 2x SSD slots:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-9510-wont-boot-after-second-SSD-installation/m-p/8111081

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-9510-Second-m-2-SSD-no-longer-recognized/m-p/8049470

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-9510-SSD-upgrade/m-p/8048595

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

Specifications say one M.2 2230, one M.2 2280.

This section lists the storage options on your XPS 15 9510.

Your XPS 15 9510 supports the following storage options:
  • One M.2 2230 solid-state drive
  • One M.2 2280 solid-state drive
Table 1. Storage specifications
STORAGE TYPE INTERFACE TYPE CAPACITY

M.2 2230 solid-state drive

PCIe NVMe up to 64 Gbps

Up to 256 GB

M.2 2280 solid-state drive

PCIe NVMe up to 64 Gbps

Up to 4 TB

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

Yes, I saw that.  Annoyingly, it doesn't use the words "AND" or "OR", so I still don't know if that means it is 1 of each size can be installed, or a maximum 1 SSD (but it can be of either size).

Also, that spec sheet contradicts the Service Manual I linked to above, which shows a picture of 2x full-size (M.2 2280) SSDs.

I've also found various recent YouTube videos of people upgrading the 9510 by adding a 2nd full-size (2280) SSD, but now I don't know if I can trust these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1qEm9gCXXI

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

January 17th, 2022 10:00

The service manual here describes removing and replacing both SSD. In the pictures of the MB you can clearly see both slots for the SSD.

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

January 17th, 2022 11:00

Yes, but I've also had a sales chat agent tell me that the service manual must be wrong (or out of date) because there's been a design change to the battery, and now one of those SSD slots is taken up by the wireless module.  But I'm 90% sure they were just trying to sell me on an upgrade to a Precision.

April 4th, 2022 23:00

Thank you! I would never have been able to add an SSD without your comments.

I have the same XPS 9510 configuration as you except instead of a 1TB drive, mine came with a 512GB drive. I added a second drive in the free slot -- a Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB. It wouldn't show up during the bios configuration when I powered up after the installation. Then I found your comments. I switched the drives as you did and sure enough, the Samsung drive showed up, but just as you experienced, it was Drive 0 and the OEM was Drive 1. Like you, I wanted the OEM drive to be Drive 0 and the Samsung to be Drive 1. So, continuing with your advice, I switched them back and all was good! 

Also, thank you for your other advice, including the video for first time setup of the drive and the link to the heat sink which was just what I needed. 

You saved me hours and hours of research and tech support phone time!

2 Posts

May 25th, 2022 01:00

This post is gold! Thanks

5 Posts

November 20th, 2022 12:00

Hello,

Yes, thank you for all these advice and return of experience.

I would like to do exactly the same for an XPS 9520 (next generation of 9510). Is it OK for overall temperature when having the 2 SSD ? 

Thanks in advance.

November 20th, 2022 12:00

Re: your temperature question. I can't speak to the 9520, but I've owned a 9510 for several months. I use it several hours every day and I have two SSDs: the 512GB drive that came with the laptop, plus a Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB drive that I installed -- I use the 512GB as the Windows system drive and the 2TB holds all my personal files.

I can't list specific temps, but I can say I have absolutely no problem with overheating. Sometimes I can feel a little warmth if I place my palm on the base, but that's just normal CPU warming. Most of the time it's room temperature and the fans don't even run (like when I'm just surfing the web, answering emails, etc.) The fans only run if I'm doing something processor intensive like compressing video. And even then, the fans are quiet and easily keep things at a normal temperature. This is the quietest laptop I've every owned -- really quiet -- I love that!

P.S. Definitely read very carefully the post by GM1618 at the top of this thread. If the 9520 is like the 9510, it will save you a huge amount of time. Best of luck with your 9520 -- I think you'll really like it.

November 20th, 2022 13:00

Adding a P.P.S. to my above post: Not sure if this is relevant, but I also upped the RAM to 64GB. I was a little concerned that the upgrade might affect temperatures, but it didn't at all.

5 Posts

November 20th, 2022 14:00

Thank you very much for your quick answer ! Looking forward to receiving my laptop next Thursday and upgrading it in the exact same way for the SSD part (the 16GB RAM should be enough but let see).

Thanks !

2 Posts

January 17th, 2023 03:00

Hey.

Thanks for the great advice and all.  Question, Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB is PCI-e 4.0, does the 11th gen support that?

January 17th, 2023 22:00

It must since my XPS 9510 processor is: 
11th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-11800H

2 Posts

January 19th, 2023 23:00

I have 11th I9-11900H processor. Is PCI-e 4.0 supported? 

No Events found!