Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 14th, 2019 04:00

XPS 13 9380, crackling noise with headphones, #2

Hi: I decided to make this as a reply to your old post since with my diminished eyesight (along with rest of the problems!), I could not find the tab to start a new post. So, here is my laundry list of questions

CHIRPING OR CAR ENGINE BACKFIRING SOUND
Comes when waking up (not me; the laptop) from sleep, some time moving the attached mouse, when a knock in the table etc.
Also when I move the slider on the volume control; two sounds chirping when I move the slider up; little different (like some part vibration?) when I move down; as I played moving up and down, the intensity increased a lot and remains so.
Ah, the sounds went away when a wired headphone (earbud? not the over the ear) is connected.
Came back via speakers when the headset is removed.
Reinstalled Realtek drivers from the Dell download portal and no difference.
Looked at the device manager, saw two devices under Sound, video and game controllers: Intel display audio and Realtek audio. Disabled Intel audio and chirp remains. The Intel audio drivers got installed by the system automatically (I did not reinstall). So, I suppose that is also needed.
That brings to my another question as well. When I select show all hidden devices using the View tab of Device manager, I see innumerable number of such devices and some repeats. One under Network adapters, Realtek USB GbE Family controller caught me by surprise. This Dell laptop is a brand new system and we never installed any such hardware (none for that matter; only a wired mouse and the headphone so far). How did that device handler came into this new system? Could my laptop be a resent one and recycled by Dell? Luckily I took a picture of it as it seemed to have disappeared when I did a Feature update to Windows 10, V 1903, yesterday.
I went to Dell portal for help and it asked me to install Support Assistant (the new App. like those in Microsoft store) though I had the program pre-installed (I guess that is the regular windows version, Dell SupportAssist, that shows up in the start list). They both started conflicting when I opened the windows regular version (it will hang up for ages before opening; when I tried updating some available drivers, it will stop saying Setup wizard ended prematurely; when I tried the update again, I got the message, A problem occurred when checking for updates. And the Retry was grayed out leaving me with the only option to close and wait ages for it to come back to life). So, I installed the updates from Dell portal one by one manually. I also removed the regular Dell Assist program from the system and the MS store version started opening quickly.

Updated the BIOS.

After all these efforts and reading innumerable complaints and suggestions on the web (and exhausting most), I talked to the Dell support in Philippines and it was an irritating one. First, they would repeat like a parrot the basic steps. Then out of exasperation, I tried to tell them who I am (a professor of Electrical and computer engineering with 40 years of research experience; has been a program director at the National Science Foundation when all these product ideas were just in the dream stage and we nurtured them by selecting and funding the best ones; I had QualComm in my own program under the SBIR - small business independent research - category :)). He will just repeat those baby steps and tried to remote connect with my PC. He wanted to use only the web version saying the MS store DellAssist is too new to be used! Then I did the web version with the link he has to spell one letter at a time: https://www.dell.com/support/remoteassist. But the browser would change the link to the US portal regardless of what I tried and hence the code he gave to connect would end up with server failure. Then he insisted I try a different browser and I obliged with two other with the same error.

He gave up and escalated to his supervisor who called me after 3 hours in the one to two hour window that he promised :). And with the supervisor, it was back to basic 101 as in our university course numbering lingo. No; it was really like the remedial course for students who didn't learn what they should have learned in their school years!! Finally, she gave up and said she will arrange for Dell Warranty support.

But I don't want to waste resources if the issue can be resolved with my background and some hints. Please provide me some answers to some problems I mentioned (like why he cannot remote connect to my PC). Then I will contact some upper management folks and let them know in a very pleasant manner (?) what is happening.

Thank you.

Oh, dxdiag.exe did not find any errors; changing sampling rate did not either.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 15th, 2019 07:00

In the Device Manager, view hidden devices will show all devices not currently connected to the system as greyed out.  Since you can plug in an Ethernet dongle, the drivers are probably installed for it. 

Let's go back to your sound issue.  First, there have been reports SmartByte can cause distortions with sound, but may also be heard in a headset depending on frequency range and power needed to reproduce the sound.

Headphones use the same output device as the speakers do but you have to select them in the Waves popup.  Make sure your Realtek Speakers are selected as the default device and not the default communications device.  Be aware, if the cracking happens with sound when it first starts, it may be the system being in some sort of standby and takes a second or two to get going.  

When I am having sound problems, I like to download the current drivers for that system.  Then go offline and uninstall the Sound device (Realtek) and check the box to uninstall all drivers.  I do that until the basic Windows sound driver shows up, then install the downloaded driver.

XPS 13 9380: Resolving intermittent glitching/crackling audio issues

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

August 14th, 2019 09:00

Thank you for the detailed message. As per your comments, seems like the tech support have tried all the troubleshooting steps & only after that you were offered a part replacement.

Ideally, this issue is fixed y a Realtek audio driver update (A03 & above) along with a BIOS update.

Is the issue observed when resuming the system from a standby?  Or when using any music production tools?

Have the support team tried to access your system with in-Cognito mode?

Please private message your system service tag along with the registered name & email address. We can escalate this to the product team & we can try to work on a solution with your expertise.

August 14th, 2019 17:00

Thanks. I will send the PM.

Answers to your reply:

"Ideally, this issue is fixed y a Realtek audio driver update (A03 & above) along with a BIOS update."  I wish we are in that ideal (Utopian) world; we are not. We are not even in a digital (yes or no) world. Haven't you read about fifty quantification levels? To think about it, it is just six bits. Not enough

Is the issue observed when resuming the system from a standby?  Or when using any music production tools?

I already discussed this in detail. Don't want to beat it to death further.

Have the support team tried to access your system with in-Cognito mode? Good idea; they did not suggest and I didn't think either (well, I always thought of that  as my exclusive **bleep** Browser!). Out of curiosity, I tried the link https://www.dell.com/support/remoteassist/  in the Incognito mode of Chrome. Immediately it changed it to and took me to https://www.dell.com/support/remoteassist/US/en/19/

And you did not answer one of my important questions. Let me paste it here again: "When I select show all hidden devices using the View tab of Device manager, I see innumerable number of such devices and some repeats. One under Network adapters, Realtek USB GbE Family controller caught me by surprise. This Dell laptop is a brand new system and we never installed any such hardware (none for that matter; only a wired mouse and the headphone so far). How did that device handler and many others came into this new system? " 

Thank you

August 15th, 2019 14:00

@Saltgrass Thanks for taking time to reply enthusiastically. 

"Since you can plug in an Ethernet dongle...." Yes, know that; said it is a brand new laptop (in fact, bought by my daughter who unfortunately has been under severe TI health issues and didn't and couldn't do much). So, how did an external, optional, very specific, unnecessary (I have a 500 mbs FiOptics, WiFi system with access points wired to the gateway in every floor) USB device driver will be in that laptop? I am just curious and given my background (this most probably before you were born: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4lLTXq2ieprWGdOY3hLbnU3WTg/view?usp=sharing) I should! 

No Events found!