This article provides information on how to use the Windows 10 Game Bar to capture video from applications.
How to use the Windows 10 Game Bar to capture video from applications
While the Windows 10 Game Bar is designed especially to record gameplay sessions on your computer, this feature can also record and save video captures from within specific Windows 10 applications. This video capture can then be used as a troubleshooting tool, recording the specific steps taken to reproduce an issue within a Windows 10 application. The file can be saved and shared to help diagnose the issue. Follow the steps below to use the Game Bar to record and save a video capture:
NOTE: Not all applications within Windows 10 may work with the Game Bar. For instance, the feature will not work in File Explorer or the Notepad application. The Game Bar will also not open on the desktop screen. For a tablet or when using Tablet Mode on the PC, a keyboard needs to be attached to take advantage of the Game Bar feature.
- Once the specific application you wish to record is opened, press the Windows Key + G keys on the keyboard. A message appears asking if you want to open the Game Bar. Check the box marked Yes, this is a game to open the Game Bar:
NOTE: Instead of using the Windows Key + G keys, you can also press the Windows Key + Alt + R to immediately begin the recording.
- If you elect to wait for the Game Bar to open, then press the record button to start recording:
- Perform the troubleshooting steps or actions you wish to record within the application.
NOTE: Your selections on the screen will highlight as they are chosen, but you may not be able to see the mouse pointer or movement during the playback of the recording.
- Hit the record button (or Windows + Alt + R again) to stop recording.
- The video capture file will be saved by default within your user folder under Video > Captures. The recorded video file is saved by default as an MP4 File (.mp4) file type.
For the latest information on using the Windows 10 Game Bar to record or capture your screen, refer to the following Microsoft link: Use Xbox Game Bar to capture game clips and screenshots on Windows 10 .