Article Summary: This article provides information on Utilizing .exe files when deploying operating system images with Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM)
Driver Pack Files And How They Are Utilized
A Driver Pack(.exe) File is a compressed file that contains other distribution files, such as drivers and system files. Typically, you will utilize the Dell Driver Pack file in the process of using the Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) to deploy Windows operating system images to several client systems. There are two sources for obtaining the driver pack file for operating system deployment to Latitude, OptiPlex and Precision Workstation systems. Follow the instructions below to obtain these files.
Current Driver Pack files are available for Dell client systems running Windows 7, 8, 8.1 ,10 and Windows 11.
You may have other reasons for wanting to obtain the proper Driver Pack file besides imaging. Using the steps provided will allow access to the files compressed within.
Step By Step Directions For Obtaining And Working With Driver Pack Files Obtaining the Driver Pack Files:
Creating a Windows 10 image for a Latitude 5531 using System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM), (as a reference):
- Download the driver Driver Pack file from the Dell Command | Deploy Driver Pack Homepage:
- Download the driver Driver Pack file from the Dell Support Website:
- Enter a Dell Service Tag, Dell EMC Product ID, or Model.
- Select the desired "Operating System".
- Filter the "Category" filed and Select "Systems Management".
- Scroll through the list and click the Tittle "Dell Command Deploy Driver Pack" containing.EXE File and make sure the Driver Pack file is saved to the appropriate location.
: A working knowledge of SCCM is required for these instructions
- Download the Driver Pack file from either the Dell Command | Deploy Driver Pack Homepage or from the Dell Support Website (drivers site for the Latitude 5531, "Systems Management" section and "Dell Command | Deploy Latitude 5531Driver Pack" link).
- Extract the Driver Pack file using your favorite unzipping utility (note that the contents of the file can be viewed in Windows Explorer).
- Using SCCM Console, create a new driver package under the category of Operating System Deployment by copying and pasting the directory path for the driver package source into the console.
- Go to the Windows 10 Deployment Task Sequence Editor and add a task to apply the driver package.
- Add a condition to the task which will run a WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) Query to verify the system being imaged is a Latitude 5531.
- Test and deploy the image using the task sequence that was created.