Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

85 Posts

February 17th, 2022 14:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

Dell Precision 5760 issues - I can't take this anymore!

I've been having issues since day 1 using this laptop (Dell Precision 5760). The first issue was bluetooth mouse/keyboard lagg. After countless of hours of messaging back and forth with Dell support, I've been notified by @DELL-Cares that Dell engineers will fix the issue in the next BIOS update, which nobody knows when it's going to be released.

Another issue i'm having which is driving me nuts is the laptop would randomly crash when it's on sleep mode. I face this issue more often when the laptop is connected to a docking station (WD19). When I finish work and put the laptop to sleep I notice it would randomly wake up at night and go back to sleep again. After a few hours the laptop would randomly crash and display the blue screen where it starts a hardware test (it always passes the test).

I just don't get why the laptop keeps crashing on sleep mode?? the issues has been causing me endless frustrations and i'm furious about Dell incomptetence dealing with those issues.

1 Message

February 22nd, 2022 06:00

Hello,
I have the same problems as you and I mean exactly the same! Random crashes after sleep mode, BT keyboard / mouse problems. Lately a new problem that has already occurred 5/6 times. My configuration consist in an External dual monitor 27 "and external mouse and keyboard. Everything is connected to an original Dell docking. First, the keyboard and mouse disconnect from the Docking. At that point, only the laptop keyboard and padmouse remain functional. It is therefore instinctive to unplug the dockig station and then plug it back in, but as soon as it is unplugged, the computer goes into Bluescreen. I'm using this WS as a CAD designer in a big industry. I'm starting to think my old HP Zbook was better .... The system administrator updated my BIOS and Nvidia drivers today. Fingers crossed ... (marco from Italy)

85 Posts

February 23rd, 2022 01:00

Hey, 

Do you also face an issue where the laptop wakes up randomly and goes back to sleep multiple times when it should be on sleep mode? The screens connected to the docking station would turn on randomly to the login screen and turn off many times at night.

Sorry to disappoint buy updating drivers won't solve the bluetooth delay issue. Only a BIOS update from Dell will solve it in the future (if they ever release it).

As for the crashing issues. I'm in contact with @DELL-Cares and trying to troubleshoot and supply them with more information so they can report back to Dell engineers.

In my opinion, all those issues boil down to bad configuration of power management for newer Dell laptops which weren't tested enough with modern standby. The new generation of Dell laptops are unfortunately unreliable.

I will update here if those issues are resolved.

85 Posts

March 3rd, 2022 11:00

The issue hasn't been solved yet.

All solutions provided by @DELL-Cares didn't have an effect. Including a clean Windows installation.

I have said it once and will say it again, the newer Dell laptops lineup are not configured to work properly with Modern Standby (S0). These laptops often crash on sleep mode, wake up randomly, have issues with bluetooth (also related to power management). I am saddened to see I spent a 4500$ on a high end laptop to find out it has not been tested enough to work with today's standards. 

85 Posts

March 3rd, 2022 16:00

I have found a workaround presented by @Mgzlcu who is having the same issue as me:

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Inspiron-15-7510-with-Windows-10-20H2-crashes-during-standby/m-p/8036420/highlight/true#M127859

"

In the meantime I have found that disabling completely "Modern Standby" is a workaround for my Windows10 20H2 version.

To do that you have simply to open the PowerShell and send the following command and then reboot the PC.

reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power /v PlatformAoAcOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 0

See Microsoft Docs for reference and note that you can check which power mode are supported and enabled using the command.

powercfg /a

Anyway as I wrote this is a workaround and not a solution indeed this enable S3 standby that is considered legacy standby while "Modern standby" should work properly on new systems (See for reference Modern Standby vs S3 ). Moreover even though I am now 99.99% sure that "Modern standby" triggers the issue I am still not sure if the issue is software (OS or driver) or hardware."

I have implemented this workaround and turned off modern standby:

Precison 57600.png

I will test and see if the crashing still occur.

This workaround is not a fix but could prove the issue is caused by modern standby (S3).

85 Posts

March 3rd, 2022 23:00

Update:

As expected, after performing this workaround which completely disables Modern Standby, the laptop stopped waking up randomly from sleep mode and haven't experienced a crash yet.

This proves the root cause of the issue is related to Modern Standby (S0) which needs to be addressed by Dell.

85 Posts

March 10th, 2022 09:00

I'm saddened to update BIOS update 1.7.2 (07 Mar 2022) hasn't resolved the crashing issue and random wakeups on sleep mode. Very disappointing.

85 Posts

March 20th, 2022 15:00

Despite supplying Dell engineers with crashing and .dmp files, they have not been able to spot the root cause of the issue. 

The last suggestion from them was to install an SSD firmware (a solution which was already suggested 3 weeks ago and didn't have any effect). It just shows they are very far away from solving the crashing issues affecting all new Dell laptop lineup.

85 Posts

March 20th, 2022 18:00

Dell is suggesting to replace the SSD and Motherboard (I doubt it will solve the issue and I'm extremely afraid for more issues after a technician replaces  the internals). Moreover, Dell wants me to install the OS myself after the parts has been replaced because "on-site technicians are only trained to replace parts" which is ridiculous. 

85 Posts

March 20th, 2022 20:00

I canceled the on-site parts replacement as I'm certain it's a software issue and would rather continue using my work-arounds like disabling modern standby or disabling the finger-print reader device.
This has been an ongoing issue for over a year for many users so I don't see any convincing reason to replace parts. The only thing that needs to be done here is to start firing engineers.
Just search "BSOD sleep" or "Modern Standby", "black screen", "random wake up", "bluetooth lagg" and you will see horror stories.
I would advice to stay away from the new Dell lineup that supports Modern Standby (S0).
Modern Standby is extremely dangerous and could make a laptop randomly wake up in a case. Microsoft pushed for this to make laptops wake up faster and perform background operations just like smartphones. On the other hand, Dell warns from encasing the laptop while on that state. It doesn't make any sense to me, why embrace such a faulty standard. Expect a lot of complaints from hundreds of customers.

85 Posts

March 28th, 2022 16:00

Update:

I have found a workaround suggesting to disable c-states control as shown in this thread:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Dell-XPS-15-9500-crashes-when-leaving-sleep-or-hibernation-mode/m...

The laptop hasn't crashed for 2 days after implementing this. I will keep testing and updating. I'd also appreciate it if other affected users to try this workaround and test with me.

Dell engineers are trying to find the root cause of this issue. Will keep you posted here.

• 

25.1K Posts

April 2nd, 2022 03:00

Thank you for reaching out to us. I’d be glad to look into this for you right away. As our interaction would involve sharing personally identifiable information, I would recommend that you private message us so that we can start working toward a resolution. 

To ensure the security of your information, I'd suggest that you delete the post containing any Dell-centric information (Service Tag / Express Service Code).

Please, to maintain the security and privacy of your data, edit your post, remove your information and send us a private message.

8 Posts

April 2nd, 2022 03:00

Any update on this? I'm having similar problems on a new Dell Inspiron 5510. Sleep causes a hard restart when connected to a docking station - no amount of fiddling with settings seems to work.

85 Posts

April 3rd, 2022 12:00

Update:

I have been testing a workaround suggested by Dell engineers, which is to let CPU run at full capacity. The laptop has been stable and never crashed after performing the workaround. However, this workaround has negative effects on the laptop when it's in sleep mode as the CPU will keep running and doesn't go into low power mode. As a result of this, the laptop battery drains fast and it gets hot. So, this workaround isn't a solution and I wouldn’t suggest anyone to perform it as it could damage laptop internals. Engineers must find a better solution or ditch Modern Standby (S0) altogether and adopt back regular sleep mode (S3).

For reference, the workaround includes the following steps:

1. At first, press the Windows key from your keyboard and then start to type “Registry“.
  2. Then, click on the “Registry Editor” in the search result.

The Registry Editor window will open.

1. On the left pane of Registry Editor, navigate to this location-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\intelppm

1. Now, on the right pane double click on “Start“.
  2. Set the Value data to “4“. Click on “OK” to change the value of the registry.

Reboot your computer and check if the CPU is working at its full capacity or not.

This proves that the crashing is related to Modern Standby and power management, specifically the CPU.

85 Posts

April 3rd, 2022 13:00

I emphasized the severity of this issue to @DELL-Cares so they alert engineers or even Dell executives. This issue is critical! and Dell is suffering and will suffer too much damages from it. These issues (Which are probably caused by Microsoft Modern Standby – S0) must be escalated this to highest tier engineers/teams/management to take extreme measures to tackle those issues. Microsoft could be held accountable for those issues as I realized customers using other laptop brands that support Modern Standby are suffering from the same exact issues. I hope Dell assembles the right team to research this deeply and execute further testing on Modern Standby and find the root cause of those issues.

The internet is filled with hundreds of articles showing the faulty Modern Standard and thousands of angry affected customers from different laptops that support this standard. I'll just link some as a sample:

https://mspoweruser.com/microsofts-modern-standby-is-draining-certain-laptops/

https://therightstuff.medium.com/an-investigation-into-my-new-laptops-stubborn-refusal-to-sleep-8575ccdcfc2

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-crashing-in-modern-standby/1f290337-ec7c-4680-b790-5cf765e5b952

85 Posts

April 6th, 2022 04:00

With the help of @DELL-Cares I found a fix I have been testing to stop crashing from happening on sleep mode. I have been testing this for 3 days and the laptop has been stable and didn't encounter issues in sleep mode. I hope this fix permenantly stops crashing and I'd appreciate it if other users facing similar crashing to try this and report back. Reference: the steps are (Fix 2) from this link:

https://thegeekpage.com/fix-blue-screen-error-intelppm-sys-in-windows-10/

"

Fix- 2 Disable Intel Power Management Driver

The variety of power transmitting to the device in a variety of states (Sleep, working) of your computer, which is controlled by Intelppm driver. Disabling it may solve the issue.

1. Press Windows Icon+I.
  2. Then, click on “Update and Security“.

MajZoa_6-1649243255556.png

3. After that, you need to click on the “Recovery“.

4. To restart your computer in Recovery Environment, click on “Restart Now“.

MajZoa_7-1649243255598.png

5. When your computer boots into Recovery mode, click on “Troubleshoot“.

MajZoa_8-1649243255840.png

6. Then, you need to click on the “Advanced options“.

MajZoa_9-1649243255847.png

7. From the list of advanced options, access the  “Command Prompt“.

MajZoa_10-1649243255860.png

8. In order to rename the intelppm.sys driver file, copy this code paste it in the terminal and hit Enter.

cd drivers

ren intelppm.sys intelppm.sys.bak

MajZoa_11-1649243255875.png

Reboot your computer to Windows 10. You will not experience the issue with the intelppm again.

Your problem should be fixed."

No Events found!