This article is part of the Server Tutorials: "Raid and Disks
" available here
Before you remove the hard drive:
- If installed, remove the Front Bezel.
- From the management software, prepare the hard drive for removal. Wait until the indicators on the hard-drive carrier signal that the hard drive can be removed safely. For more information read the physical drive LEDs tab.
This article explains how to switch the disk offline using OpenManage Server Administrator.
If the hard drive is online, the green activity/fault indicator flashes as the drive is turned off. When the hard-drive indicators are off, the hard drive is ready for removal.
Physical Drive Disassembly
- Press the release button to open the hard-drive carrier release handle.
- Slide the hard-drive carrier out until it is free of the hard-drive slot.
Note: To maintain proper system cooling, all empty hard drive slots must have hard drive blanks installed.
- Remove the screws from the slide rails on the hard drive carrier.
- Lift the hard drive out of the hard drive carrier.
- If you are not replacing the hard drive immediately, insert a hard drive blank in the empty hard drive slot.
||Hard Drive Carrier
Physical Drive Reassembly : Steps to replace
Note: Combining SAS and SATA hard drives in the same RAID volume is not supported.
Note: When a replacement hot swappable hard drive is installed, the hard drive automatically begins to rebuild. Make absolutely sure that the replacement hard drive is blank or contains data that you wish to have over-written.
- Insert the hard drive into the hard drive carrier with the connector end of the hard drive toward the back.
- Align the screw holes on the hard drive with the set of screw holes on the hard drive carrier.
- When aligned correctly, the back of the hard drive is flush with the back of the hard drive carrier.
- Attach the screws to secure the hard drive to the hard drive carrier.
- If a hard drive blank is installed in the hard drive slot, remove it.
- Insert the hard drive carrier into the hard drive slot until the carrier connects with the backplane.
- Close the hard drive carrier handle to lock the hard drive in place.
Add physical drive in Virtual Disk Group
To start the rebuild assign the disk as hot spare to the virtual drive. Check "Assign as Hotspare" tab