This article is part of the Server Tutorials: "Raid and Disks
" available here
A global hot spare is an unused backup disk that is part of the disk group. Hot spares remain in standby mode. When a physical disk that is used in a virtual disk fails, the assigned hot spare is activated to replace the failed physical disk without interrupting the system or requiring your intervention. When a hot spare is activated, it rebuilds the data for all redundant virtual disks that were using the failed physical disk. Does my controller support this feature?
You can change the hot spare assignment by unassigning a disk and choosing another disk as needed. You can also assign more than one physical disk as a global hot spare.
To assign or unassign a global hot spare for a physical disk drive, please complete the following steps:
See Supported Features
Using the iDRAC
- In the iDRAC Web interface, go to the menu Overview > Storage > Physical Disks > Setup. The Setup Physical Disk page is displayed.
- From the Controller drop-down menu, select the controller to view the associated physical disks.
- To assign as a global hot spare, from the drop-down menus in the Action-Assign to All column, select Global Hotspare for one or more physical disks.
- To unassign a hot spare, from the drop-down menus in the Action-Assign to All column, select Unassign Hotspare for one or more physical disks.
- From the Apply Operation Mode drop-down menu, select when you want to apply the settings.
- Click Apply
Using the PERC BIOS Controller
- Perform the following steps to create global hot spares:
- Press the down arrow key to highlight a physical disk to change to a global hot spare.
- Press <F2> to display the menu of available actions.
- Press the down arrow key to highlight Make Global HS and press <Enter>.
The physical disk is changed to a global hot spare. The status of the physical disk as a global hot spare is displayed under the heading State.
Using OpenManage Server Administrator
- Select the disk in the Connector (channel or port) table that you want to use as the dedicated hot spare. On some controllers, more than one disk can be selected. The disks you have selected as dedicated hot spares are displayed in the Disks currently configured as a dedicated hot spare table.
- Click Apply Changes when ready.
To replace a failed physical disk global hot spares must use the same disk technology and must be equal or greater in size.
Using the iDRAC 9
In the iDRAC web interface, go to Configuration > Storage Configuration.
The Storage Configuration page is displayed.
From the Controller drop-down menu, select the controller to view the associated physical disks.
Click Physical Disk Configuration.
All the physical disks associated to the controller are displayed.
To assign as a global hotspare, from the drop-down menus in the Action column, select Assign Global Hotspare for one or more physical disks.
To unassign a hot spare, from the drop-down menus in the Action column, select Unassign Hotspare for one or more physical disks.
Click Apply Now.
Depending on your requirement, you can also choose to apply At Next Reboot or At Scheduled Time. Based on the selected operation mode, the settings are applied.