Highlighted
HanoverB
3 Cadmium

Re: XPS 8930, CPU Liquid Cooler, GTX 1080 Hybrid GPU, Upgrad

Just a quick note on the additional small wire coming off the H60 pump that has a 3 pin fan connector.   

On some motherboards there is a dedicated fan header that measures pump speed as well as supplies power.  Not so on the XPS 8930.  The single wire is a fan tachometer cable on a 3 pin connector that sends the signal of the pump speed.  It also serves to send that signal to a motherboard PWM fan header so there are no fan errors as startup.   

It is optional, but it would also give you an indicator if the pump has failed on startup.  So if you don’t need to control or monitor the speed of any of your fans connected to the CPU FAN or TOP FAN headers, you can certainly use this connector.  

As I used a fixed speed upper exhaust fan connected directly to the PSU, I did connect this wire for monitoring to the TOP FAN header and it works fine.  Machine starts up fine and the fan monitor shows ~4000 RPM.

0 Kudos
546insp
3 Cadmium

It must run as cool as a cucumber but I'm wondering why you need all that. Heavy games? My 8920 never gets above 90* F taken at the top fan vent and I only added a front fan. I do have an intel i7 cpu and a video card but don't play games. Is that unit quiet?

Dell XPS 8920 silver edition
7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Samsung 850 evo SSD for boot
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card
I buy a new Dell every 4 years for the last 25 years

HanoverB
3 Cadmium

@546insp wrote:

It must run as cool as a cucumber but I'm wondering why you need all that. Heavy games? My 8920 never gets above 90* F taken at the top fan vent and I only added a front fan. I do have an intel i7 cpu and a video card but don't play games. Is that unit quiet?

Yes I do some heavy gaming at 3440 x 1440 and with that many pixels the CPU works hard to push the data to the GTX 1080 as fast as it can handle it.   So it's common to get moderate power levels on the CPU.  Also, graphics intensive tasks such as video rendering can be even more CPU intensive and so those users put a heavy demand on the CPU as well.  

It's difficult to ask a 92mm or 120mm low profile cooler to handle those temps with those tasks and liquid cooling is a viable way to manage temps. 

I am very noise sensitive.  On this liquid cooled machine take a look at the RPM's of the onboard fans on the testing I did with the CPU at or near 100% load:

=======

***Prime 95 v2.66 CPU Torture Test, Small FFT, 12 cycles.  60 minutes:    
CPU temps during test runs was 66-70C.  Max temp was 75C (boost).  
Thermal throttling: NO
Clock speeds stable at 3492 mHz @(~10% overclock), max was 4490 mHz boost.
Voltage stable at 1.022, max was 1.3.

Upper Intake Fan (CPU FAN) for CPU cooler max RPM 1078 (boost). 
Lower Intake fan (TOP FAN) for GPU cooler max RPM 1019. 
Upper exhaust fan fixed at 1500 RPM. 

***3D Mark Fire Strike Test:
CPU Temps during test max temp was 75C.  
Thermal throttling: NO
Clock speeds max was 4388 mHz.
Voltage max was 1.31.

Upper Intake Fan (CPU FAN) for CPU cooler max RPM 906
Lower Intake fan (TOP FAN) for GPU cooler max RPM 869 
Upper exhaust fan fixed at 1500 RPM. 

GPU Temps: Max was 79C,
GPU Fan speed, 1100 RPM at rest, max RPM 2822
GPU Clock max at 1961 mHz

=======

Even at 100% load, the onboard fans controlled by the motherboard varied from ~900-1100 RPM as the CPU temps, motherboard temps/voltage never got high enough for those fans which are rated to 1850 RPM to get above those levels.  

So how loud are those fans at those speeds?  The NF-A12x15 fans with their Ultra Low Noise Adapters (ULNA) installed will reduce their RPM from 1850 to 950 RPM.  The rated acoustical noise at those RPM's is just 10.2 dBA.  That is very quiet.   

The top exhaust fan the way I have it set up now is set to run at a fixed 1000 RPM 100% of the time and is very quiet as well.  I can get that fan even quieter when I decide which Noctua 25mm fan I want to install there.  

The PSU fan is nearly silent and it runs all the time, even at idle.

The noisiest fan in my system would be the GTX 1080 which runs at 1100 RPM at idle and even with liquid cooling, increases with the loads associated with heavy gaming at 1440p or 4K gaming. 

So if you want high performance with acceptable temperature control and noise management at the same time, liquid cooling is one way to accomplish that.

0 Kudos
546insp
3 Cadmium

Wow, that's quite a system there. I know low RPM=less noise and agree with the setup and hope to see a trend to low RPM vs a little more cooling and more noise.

7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card

0 Kudos
HanoverB
3 Cadmium

EZ install of fan without drilling:

Secure the fan using 3M Auto Advanced Super Strength Molding tape:

image.png

In mounting a fan in front of the chassis, I found that removing the brown soft corners on the Noctua fan and putting the tape there on the corners of the fan was a secure and easy way to mount the fan.  I would typically add another piece of tape on the middle of the fan on the fan label.

IMG_7677.jpg

546insp
3 Cadmium

I am a fan (no pun) of double sided tape and it doesn't take much for it to work well, I have used it on hard drives and fans plus it acts as a sound deadener, there's nothing not to like about it.

7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card

0 Kudos
HanoverB
3 Cadmium

I also used the same molding tape to initially install the radiator on the GTX 1080 Hybrid as well.  Put some on the bottom of the case and then on top of the cooler where u can see it would fit under that flat piece of sheet metal.  The fit was perfect with this particular radiator which is 151mm high..  Once I got it on there, it wouldn't come off.  I had to use fishing line to break the seal.   The molding tape is strong stuff.  Guess it it can hold side molding on my SUV in blistering heat it must be sticky stuff.

image.png

image.png

0 Kudos
HanoverB
3 Cadmium

Update:

I7 8700 CPU:

CPU performance, temperatures and noise managed very nicely via the CPU liquid cooling.  Worthy upgrade even with a single 15mm cooling fan.  No throttling, no excessive fan noise at 100% loads on testing.  The front bezel affects the cooling only marginally, which is expected in most cases unless you have a open mesh bezel.

MSI Sea Hawk 1080 Hybrid GPU:

GPU temps a little high with the initial installation.  I really didn’t want to mod the case any further, but just the GPU gets a little starved for airflow when loads above 90% at 3440 x 1080. I can get another 3-5 degrees of cooling with the front intake Noctua fan running at 1850 RPM but it's noisier that I would want at idle. 

So I went ahead and cut a 120mm blowhole opening in the lower part of the front bezel. 

This did involve removing the GPU cooler fan off the radiator.  The fan now has to be centered to the front bezel and yet be close to the center of the radiator to push air through it.

After installing the new front intake using the blowhole the GPU temps are 6-10C lower on the FireStrike testing.

Screenshot from FireStrike GPU intensive test with GTX 1080 maxed out at only 45 FPS.   The i7 8700 CPU performance at close to full boost clock really stellar with no throttling.  Temps fine on both GPU and CPU.  

MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk temps in a different machine (XPS 8500) at full load was 57-60 C, so is running a little higher in the XPS 8930.  Those 57-60 C temps were with 25mm fans in a push pull intake configuration with decent air flow.  In this XPS 8930, the single 15mm fan, the lack of full airflow through the sheet metal in front of the chassis, and the GPU blocking part of the back of the radiator doesn't allow the Sea Hawk liquid cooling to work optimally.  One of the limitations of this case. 

IMG_5813.jpg

0 Kudos
HanoverB
3 Cadmium

I had some fun with this by adding a Phanteks Halos RGB Fan Frame to the ugly Noctua fan. One also installed in upper exhaust location under the top cover.  Shown with a couple of ILD fan grills..

XPS 8930 Sea Hawk Edition…..

IMG_5859.jpg

IMG_5846.jpg

XPS 8930 Scarab Edition….

IMG_5871.jpg

IMG_5867.jpg

HanoverB
3 Cadmium

Update on GPU temps: 

The difference in GPU temps was also surprising depending on ambient air temps.  At different room temps, I've seen the Sea Hawk GPU running at 62-72 C at load.  Onboard GPU fan speeds, and noise levels change accordingly. 

GPU intensive test 95% load in Firestrike screenshot

IMG_5881.jpg

CPU intensive test in Firestrike screenshot

IMG_5891.jpg

0 Kudos