Starting with the 18.104.22.1687 Intel RST driver, there was a change in the installation of the Intel® Optane™ memory pinning components.
When updating drivers, for example, from 16.8.x to 17.5.x or 17.8.x, the Operating System update may try to use the removed installation files from the older version, which may cause an error message to appear.
Note: This issue does not impact a computer with a factory-installed Operating System (OS), which has the Intel RST drivers between 17.5.x and 17.8.x.
- To help resolve the issue, repair the current Intel® Optane™ memory pinning extensions, by performing the following steps.
- Open Programs and Features.
To open Programs and Features perform the following steps:
- Press and hold the Windows () key, and then press the r key.
- In the Run box, type ‘appwiz.cpl’ and touch or click OK.
- Locate and highlight Intel Optane Pinning Explorer Extensions.
- Touch or click Repair.
- Uninstall the old pinning package so that the error does not reappear after the next OS update.
- Open Device Manager.
To open Device Manager, perform the following steps:
- Press and hold the Windows () key, and then press the x key.
- From the list, select Device Manager.
- Touch or click the arrow to the left of Software components field.
- Right-click the listing for Intel® Pinning Shell Extensions and select Uninstall Device.
- Touch or click to check the box that reads Delete the driver software for this device, and then touch or click Uninstall.
- Restart the computer.