April 02, 2019
Dell EMC Advances World s Top Selling Server Portfolio
Simplified management and improved performance offer customers a more flexible, secure and optimized platform for everyday and complex workloads
- Dell EMC OpenManage and iDRAC systems management enhancements deliver greater control, automation and security features for PowerEdge servers
- Highest performing PowerEdge servers to date offer increased performance for workloads of all types from everyday computing to data-hungry analytics
- Adoption of Intel® Optane™ DC persistent memory accelerates in-memory databases, virtualization and data analytics workloads with up to 2.7x times more transactions per second1
Hopkinton, Mass - April 02, 2019 -
Dell EMC today announces several advancements to Dell EMC PowerEdge servers, the world’s top selling server portfolio2, offering improved management, security, performance and scalability for customers’ everyday and most demanding workloads. These advancements to PowerEdge servers and OpenManage systems management further enable a secure, scalable compute platform as the ideal foundation for cloud, analytics and software-defined data center initiatives.
“As organizations rapidly keep pace with growing sets of information and data, they’re also adopting more advanced applications to generate greater insights with digital transformation efforts,” said Ashley Gorakhpurwalla, president, Server and Infrastructure Systems, Dell EMC. “Making the industry-leading PowerEdge server portfolio even stronger, we are enabling our customers to benefit from additional automation, control and security with more responsive and powerful systems.”
According to IDC’s latest research, Dell EMC continued to be No. 1 in both x86 server revenue and units shipped globally in an industry that saw its greatest demand ever during 2018. The analyst firm’s research found worldwide server vendor revenues increased 12.6% year-over-year to $23.6 billion, during the fourth quarter of 2018, marking the fifth consecutive quarter of double-digit revenue growth and the all-time high for total revenue in any quarter ever. For x86 servers, Dell EMC now holds the No. 1 position for revenue for six consecutive quarters and units shipped for more than the past two years.2
Dell EMC offers advanced infrastructure to tackle for more advanced workloads
Dell EMC PowerEdge servers deliver an automated, secure and scalable platform, allowing businesses to balance operational efficiency and strategic initiatives. This supports organizations tasked with driving higher engagement with customers and meeting strict SLAs while adopting new workloads and meeting new business objectives.
Advancements to Dell EMC PowerEdge and Dell EMC OpenManage systems management offer customers more control to manage their server infrastructure and to mitigate threats, backed by a new boost in performance and scalability. Among the new features, the introduction of OpenManage FlexSelect Manage and FlexSelect Secure provides improved flexibility for managing and securing PowerEdge systems. Customers can expect to gain several new benefits and capabilities:
- Launch of the FlexSelect Manage architecture offers customers new flexibility to choose among specific OpenManage Enterprise capabilities. Delivered first by an innovative power management plug-in, this reduces the number of consoles necessary to match users’ own specific needs and further streamline management efficiency.
- New enhancements to the Redfish-compliant Dell EMC RESTful API for control of even more server operations and devices including new flexibility to manage servers directly from an operating system in addition to a typical management network. This enables users to more easily integrate PowerEdge servers into their existing processes for a more consistent server management experience.
- New augmented reality on OpenManage Mobile offers customers a graphical representation of exactly where incidents occur within their environment to accurately identify target areas in their PowerEdge MX infrastructure and help speed resolution—from any mobile device. Customers can reduce time to maintain server health by 28 percent, through fewer steps, compared to manually retrieving server logs.
- Through Dell EMC and Intel close collaboration, PowerEdge servers can discover, monitor, configure and update supported Intel® Optane™ DC persistent memory and Intel® Optane™ DC SSDs with OpenManage agent-free management. This enables customers to save time by automating configuration of BIOS, drives and memory. Through auto-discovery, these configurations can be replicated across multiple servers without further manual intervention, freeing up IT staff from manual tasks, so they can focus on more strategic work.
- Scale data protection and streamline management of self-encrypting drives with new OpenManage Secure Enterprise Key Manager. This enables customers to centrally manage keys for self-encrypting drives to better secure data at both the drive and server level.
- New OpenManage FlexSelect Secure capability gives customers the flexibility to adapt and scale their security solutions to meet their own business requirements. For example, new security and encryption options added to the integrated Dell Remote Access Controller (iDRAC) offer flexibility to allow communications among server components and outside connectivity based on one’s own security policies.
Improved Performance and Scalability
- With new 2nd Generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors, PowerEdge customers can better drive their digital transformations with improved performance. PowerEdge servers with these new processors offer up to a 40% increase in performance for core business applications, helping to improve organizations’ overall internal and external customer experiences.3 Easy BIOS tuning with workload-optimized server configuration profiles allow customers to configure optimal performance as they add new technologies or workloads.
- According to a new benchmark, a single Dell EMC PowerEdge R940 server with 2nd Generation Intel® Xeon ® Scalable processors can successfully host 69,500 simultaneous users with SAP Sales and Distribution software. This demonstrates a 60.5% increase in supported users from a single server compared to the PowerEdge R930 server.4
- With new Intel® Optane™ DC persistent memory, customers can accelerate in-memory databases, virtualization and data analytics workloads with up to 2.5 times more memory capacity for select PowerEdge Servers.5 The PowerEdge R740xd enables up to 2.7 times the transactions per second with an Intel® Optane™ DC persistent memory compared to NVMe drives in a virtualized Microsoft SQL Server 2019 preview environment with VMware ESXi.1
- Dell EMC Ready Solutions enable customers to drive insights faster for high performance computing and artificial intelligence (AI) applications, and, with the new Intel® Deep Learning Boost, make it easier for customers to tackle parallel use cases, such as deep learning, offering nearly three times faster inferencing performance in deep neural networks.6
These new features are enabled and supported by Dell EMC OpenManage systems management portfolio, which removes complexity, allowing customers to effortlessly manage their infrastructure. Additionally, the iDRAC is a foundational element of the PowerEdge portfolio that enables automation of server deployment, configuration, updates and maintenance procedures.
- Dell EMC OpenManage updates will be generally available across the PowerEdge portfolio throughout the second quarter of 2019.
- Dell EMC PowerEdge servers with 2nd Generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors and Dell EMC Ready Solutions for HPC with Intel Deep Learning Boost will be generally available in the second quarter of 2019.
- Intel® Optane™ DC persistent memory will be available for hands-on trials through a Dell EMC customer proof of concept program and through Dell Technologies Customer Solution Centers beginning this April and generally available later in the second quarter of 2019 on select two- and four-socket PowerEdge servers.
- These updated PowerEdge servers will become available as the foundation for Dell EMC Ready Solutions and the Dell EMC hyperconverged infrastructure portfolio in 2019.
- Dell EMC PowerEdge servers
- Direct2Dell EMC Blog: Drive everyday workloads today and be ready to innovate tomorrow
- Follow the latest news on Twitter from @DellEMC and @DellEMCServers
Troy Crabtree, Executive Vice President Operations, Cybera
“We run a demanding cloud-based managed application network where performance is critical. With 90,000 access points and the largest SD-WAN network globally, Cybera customers are accessing our application network any time of the day, all across the world, to successfully run their businesses. We are able to meet high performance demands and continually add new services by using Dell EMC PowerEdge servers as the foundation for our scalable, secure and reliable multi-cloud services platform. The improved performance of our PowerEdge infrastructure with 2nd Generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors will enable us to accelerate our response times and continue to exceed our customers’ expectations.”
Tim Grieser, vice president, system management software, IDC Research
“We are seeing the IT system and service management software market growing more than 7% through 2023. This is driven by a need to automate and manage greater efficiency across increasingly complex on-premises, private cloud, public cloud and multi-cloud environments. We’re seeing Dell Technologies refining its OpenManage suite of capabilities to deliver a robust management platform for these more modern, dynamic IT infrastructures.”
About Dell EMC
Dell EMC, a part of Dell Technologies, enables organizations to modernize, automate and transform their data center using industry-leading converged infrastructure, servers, storage and data protection technologies. This provides a trusted foundation for businesses to transform IT, through the creation of a hybrid cloud, and transform their business through the creation of cloud-native applications and big data solutions. Dell EMC services customers across 180 countries – including 99 percent of the Fortune 500 – with the industry’s most comprehensive and innovative portfolio from edge to core to cloud.
Dell Technologies World
Join us April 29 - May 2 in Las Vegas at Dell Technologies World, the company’s flagship event that brings together latest emerging trends, technology and gurus, from the edge to the core to the cloud. During the event, experts from all of Dell Technologies businesses will demonstrate to customers and partners the connected ecosystem of IT infrastructure, applications, devices and security that can enable real transformation across their organizations. Register here.
, a part of , enables organizations to modernize, automate and transform their using industry-leading , servers, and data protection technologies. This provides a trusted foundation for businesses to transform IT, through the creation of a , and transform their business through the creation of cloud-native applications and solutions. Dell EMC services customers across 180 countries – including 98 percent of the Fortune 500 – with the industry’s most comprehensive and innovative portfolio from edge to core to cloud.