Need to know:
- Normally, notebook batteries are covered by One (1) year warranty support
- Customers can now purchase an optional Three (3) year warranty support battery.
Note: The legal warranty period for both the computer and the battery may vary by country.
The battery warranty is related to the hardware invoice date. You may be asked to provide the serial number of the battery which will correspond to this date range.
The quickest way to differentiate between these two types of battery support is to identify the battery SKU and Description under System Configuration > Components on "Dell.com/Support." If it contains the wording "3 Years Limited Hardware Warranty," then the battery has a 3-year limited hardware warranty. Some battery descriptions may show the abbreviation LL for Long Life this will also confirm that the battery has a 3-year cover.
||Standard 1 Year Warranty Battery
||Optional 3 Years Warranty Battery
|Express Charge Support
|Watt Hour (Whr)
Example: 9 cell battery with 97 Whr.
Example: 9 cell battery with 87 Whr.
|Battery Replacement Process
||Replaced with standard 1-year warranty gray label battery type
||Replaced with 3 years warranty battery type
- The battery will have a sticker usually with a barcode that can be used to determine the age of the battery.
- The Serial Number will be 20 characters long and begin with 2 letters i.e. CH, JP, KR
- The sticker may be similar to the above examples.
- Browse to the "Product Selector" to find out the warranty status of your computer. Enter your Service Tag or click Detect Product then click the Warranty tab under the picture of your model.
- If your battery warranty has expired, a new battery can be purchased at the "Dell Batteries and Adapters website." An additional charge may occur if an on-site technician is needed to replace the battery.
- For applicable platforms that support Long Cycle Life (LCL) Battery option, the latest BIOS update will modify the battery charge algorithm to extend Long Cycle Life (LCL) Charge behavior to Adaptive charge mode or AC Use mode.
Back to Top
- For computers with Windows 7, right-click the battery icon in the lower right-hand corner, click Dell Extended Battery Life Options, if that is not an option go to the next options.
Click the Battery Health tab.
Make note of the message on the page, when the battery shows as "This battery is performing normally," then the battery is performing as it should.
- Check the Battery Health in the BIOS, for more information refer to the Dell Knowledge Base article "How to Check Battery Health Status on Dell Laptops". Make note of the message on the BIOS screen under General or the Advanced tab, when the battery shows as "Normal" or "This battery is performing normally," then the battery is performing as it should.
Dell notebooks include a built-in diagnostics application, called ePSA. To information about how to access the ePSA application, refer to Dell Knowledge Base article, "Resolve Hardware Issues With Built-in and Online Diagnostics (SupportAssist ePSA, ePSA or PSA Error Codes)". Once in the ePSA application select the battery diagnostics.
- When the battery diagnostics fail, you can log an in-warranty service call using the following link, "Enhanced Preboot System Assessment." Enter the Error and Validation code as seen on the screen, you will also need to enter the Service tag of the faulty computer, follow the prompts to complete the process.
- If your battery warranty has expired and the battery diagnostics fail, a new battery can be purchased at the "Dell Batteries and Adapters website." An additional charge may occur if an on-site technician is needed to replace the battery.
- Only Dell batteries should be used in Dell notebooks, and Dell batteries can only be purchased from Dell.
- A normal characteristic of a rechargeable battery is that its operating duration decreases over time. The battery may eventually need to be replaced. Based on this characteristic, consumed batteries may not be covered under warranty.
- Dell also offers an online diagnostics test, browse to the "Online Battery Diagnostics" page.
- The test will start automatically.
- You may be prompted to install or update the SupportAssist program, if so, follow the prompts.
When reporting battery failure, please be aware of the below:
- The battery serial number will be required before a replacement can be ordered.
- The serial number is printed on a sticker on the battery - usually 20 characters long and beginning with 2 letters i.e. CH, JP, KR.
You may be asked to check with a 'known good' battery if available.
You can order a battery online by visiting "www.dell.com."
Only Dell batteries should be used in Dell notebooks, and Dell batteries can only be purchased from Dell.
A normal characteristic of a rechargeable battery is that its operating duration decreases over time. The battery may eventually need to be replaced. Based on this characteristic, consumed batteries may not be covered under warranty.
Click "Product Selector" to find out the warranty status of your computer.
Enter your tag or click detect system then click the Warranty tab under the picture of your model.
Back to Top
For some help on checking the health of your battery see the articles listed below:
Back to Top
Visit our Battery and Power site
for additional resources and information.
Out of warranty? No problem click here
, enter your Service Tag and view our offers.
Note: Currently, offers are only available for US, Canada, UK, and France PC Customers. Server and Storage not applicable.