This applies to computers with the below specifications and settings:
- Windows 10, Windows 8.1 or Windows 8 PC with boot mode set to UEFI
- PCs with optical (CD, DVD or Blu-ray) drive
Adding CD/DVD boot option manually in BIOS
Expand the sections below according to the BIOS type of your PC
Steps are provided below:
- Tap F2 key at the Dell logo screen to enter System Setup or BIOS.
- On the left pane, click Boot Sequence.
- Boot mode should be selected as UEFI (not legacy) within the BIOS go to the General > Boot Sequence click Apply.
Figure 1: Boot Sequence UEFI
- Go to the 'Boot Sequence' tab in the BIOS and select Add Boot Option.
Figure 3: Add Boot Option
- A new window will appear with blank boot options.
Figure 4: Add boot option fields
- Name it CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive
Note: In the File System List field select the option with "CD" at the end. Example: "PciRoot (0x0)/Pci (0x1F, 0x2)/Sata(0x3,0x0,0x0)/CD"
Note: Alternatively if you see an onscreen message to 'Press any key to boot from CD/DVD' Press any key to proceed.
- Tap the F12 key on startup for boot menu, DVD option will be there under UEFI
To add the DVD Boot option manually in Dell Phoenix BIOS setup.
Steps are provided below:
- Boot mode should be selected as UEFI (Not Legacy)
- Secure Boot set to Off
Note: If the system is not set to boot to UEFI, change it from the BIOS (F2) during startup or from the One-Time Boot (F12) menu.
- Go to the 'Boot' tab in the BIOS and select Add Boot option. (see fig 4)
- A new window will appear with 'blank' boot option name. (Figure 5)
- Name it "CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive"
Note: In the File System List field select the option with "CD" at the end.
Example: "PciRoot (0x0)/Pci (0x1F, 0x2)/Sata(0x3,0x0,0x0)/CD"
- Leave the File Name entry blank.
- Now using tab key, highlight YES and hit ENTER.
Note: If the option for CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive is not present then the drive may not be detected by the system hardware. Try physically re-seating the drive where possible or swap with another systems drive to rule out the drive as the cause of any failure.
Press < F10 > key to save settings and restart.
The system will restart.
Tap the <F12> key on startup for boot menu, DVD option will be there under UEFI
Note: Alternatively if you see an onscreen message to 'Press any key to boot from CD/DVD'Press any key to proceed.
If you are still unable to boot from the Windows reinstallation CD or DVD or if the CD or DVD is corrupt, browse to the Dell OS Recovery Tool
page to download and create a Windows recovery or reinstallation disc for your PC.