Follow the guidelines below for using the Dell Backup and Recovery (DBaR) application with Windows 10.
Dell Backup and Recovery (DBaR) version 1.9 is only available for computers that upgrade to Windows 10.
NOTE: The information that is contained is this article also applies to the AlienReSpawn backup software available with Alienware computers.
The Dell Backup and Recovery (DBaR) Update to version 1.9 is only available to computers that upgrade to Windows 10. This is to maintain compatibility for the DBaR application.
DBAR means Dell Backup and Recovery Application, a secure, easy, and reliable backup and recovery solution that protects your computer (operating system, applications, drivers, settings) and data (music, photos, videos, file, and other important files), to prevent data loss. Used to replace the previous DataSafe Local 2.x and DBRM.
There are currently two versions of DBAR:
- Basic: Preinstalled in the machine with the Windows operating system at the factory, you can build a computer recovery disk and back up preinstalled applications and software from the factory.
- Premium: An additional customer is required to upgrade the service.
Systems that ship with Windows 10 will not have Dell Backup and Recovery (DBaR) preinstalled.
NOTE: If Dell Backup and Recovery is not updated as recommended (prior to updating to Windows 10), the only recourse left is to revert to the previous working operating system. If the operating system rollback is not successful, the final solution may require a fresh reinstall of the operating system and Dell Backup and Recovery.
Using the Dell Backup and Recovery (DBaR) application with Windows 10
Dell computers that have Dell Backup and Recovery (DBaR) and have upgraded to the Windows 10 operating system will notice a Dell Recommended Update on the Dell Backup and Recovery dashboard. This Windows 10 update will update DBaR to version 1.9 which is fully compatible with Windows 10.
If a download link is needed for DBaR 1.9, it can be downloaded from the following link: Dell Backup and Recovery (DBaR) Version 1.9 (See Figure 1.)
NOTE: Dell Backup and Recovery (DBaR) version 1.9 SHOULD NOT be installed on computers that shipped with Windows 10. Dell Backup and Recovery version 1.9 is ONLY for computers either upgrading to Windows 10 or have already upgraded to Windows 10.
Systems that ship with Windows 10 installed from the factory use the Windows 10 native Backup and Restore. Windows Backup and Restore can be found by Clicking Start, Settings, Update & Security then Back up.
Figure 1. DBaR Dell Recommendation for update
Click the Install Upgrade Button to start the upgrade process. (See Figure 2.)
Figure 2. - DBaR install update
Then click the Start Button. (See Figure 3.)
Figure 3. - DBaR Start button
If you check for a web update on DBaR while in Windows 8.1, then you will be shown the message below: (See Figure 4.)
Figure 4. - DBaR Update available
How to recover a computer with DBAR
Dell Backup and Recovery Manager (DBAR) computer recovery can be done in three ways:
- Run DBAR on the computer, select Recovery, select System Recovery.
- Call the recovery partition for computer recovery. Move the mouse to the right side of the screen, select Settings when charm bar appears, press, and hold Shift Restart simultaneously, select Troubleshoot (Diagnostics) and DBAR.
- System recovery with recovery media: The machine is plugged into an external power supply, the F12 key is continuously tapped after power-up enters the boot menu, and selects to start from the recovery media.
Steps to computer recovery with DBAR
- Run DBAR, select Recovery, select System Recovery. (See Figure 5.)
Figure 5. - Dell Backup and Recovery
- Select Factory Image, click confirm. The computer will restart and enter the recovery interface. (See Figure 6.)
Figure 6. - Restore your Computer
Steps to computer recovery by recovery media
- Start the machine, continuously press the F12 key in the Dell interface to select start-up from the recovery media (laptop must be plugged into external power). (See Figure 7.)
Figure 7. - Welcome
When your laptop is restored using Factory Backup, you must connect the charger or you will be prompted for an error: "Please connect the AC adapter to continue. Your computer cannot be restored while it is powered by the battery
." (See Figure 8.)
Figure 8. - Error
- For a brief description, mirror integrity checks and all available images are displayed. (See Figure 9.and10.)
Figure 9. - Welcome Description
Figure 10. - Checking your PC
- Select Factory Image. (See Figure 11.)
Figure 11. - Restore your Computer
- Select the recovery type (Factor Recovery is recommended). (See Figure 12.)
Figure 12. - Choose a mode
NOTE: Factory Recovery will erase all data that is not backed up on your computer. It is important to perform the computer recovery steps with this option if you want to save your datafiles on the hard drive.
- Choose whether to back up some of the data for the original computer. (See Figure 13.)
Figure 13. - System Recovery
- Select YES, go to the file selection interface. (See Figure 14.)
Figure 13. - Select YES
- Select NO, just entered the recovery interface, when the restart button becomes operational, complete the restore operation, restart the computer, enter the factory operating system configuration. (See Figure 15.)
Figure 14. - Select NO
How to use Dell Backup and Restore(DBAR) to make a factory image
Preparation: One 8G or more blank USB stick
Note: Dell recommends a backup of the factory mirror the first time that it is used out of the box.
- Open Dell Backup and Restore.
- Select Recovery Media. The display will vary depending on the language version of your operating system. (see Figure 16.)
Figure 16. - Main Menu
- Insert the USB stick, select the media that you inserted, click Continue. (see Figure 17.)
Figure 17. - Factory Media
- Click Start. (see Figure 18.)
Figure 18. - Start
Note: When you make a factory mirror backup, the data in the USB stick is formatted. If important data is in the USB stick, back up first.
- Click OK, factory media backup will complete. (see Figure 19.)
Figure 19. - Complete
Out of warranty? No problem. Browse to the Dell.com/support website and enter your Dell Service Tag and view our offers.
NOTE: Offers are only available for US, Canada, UK, France, Germany, China, and Japan personal computer customers. Server and Storage not applicable.