We recently covered the importance of knowing and dealing with security threats as a small business. As a follow up, it time to take it a step further by emphasize that online security is one of the biggest threats to small businesses. By using your web browser, opening emails, instant messaging with colleagues or using unsecured wireless, businesses run the risk of exposing their data and systems to viruses.
In order to prevent this from happening, there are steps that need to be taken in order to ensure that data and IT are protected.
· Have the right security systems such as Norton or McAfee in place to help combat viruses
· Make sure to install all updates for your operating system, security software and web browser
· Do not download files from unknown or questionable sites
· Block pop ups and install a firewall to stop unwanted information from outside resources from being share
· Implement employee policies that limit file sharing through other sites other than the work email system.
Another great resource is Dell's support site where small businesses can find great IT tools and systems that protect against and alert of security threats.