OpenManage Mobile (OMM) Overview
Dell EMC OpenManage Mobile (OMM) version 3.1 is a mobile application for monitoring and managing Dell EMC PowerEdge servers, MX7000 chassis and other datacenter devices from Android and iOS mobile devices. Mobile enables IT administrators to perform a subset of server configuration, monitoring, troubleshooting, and remediation tasks from anywhere.
Key Use Cases of OpenManage Mobile
- Quickly perform PowerEdge server or MX chassis key setup (plug the power cable, connect mobile device to server or chassis, assign IP address, change credentials, and update key BIOS attributes)
- Find out about any server issues quickly by signing up for proactive notifications from OpenManage Enterprise or OpenManage Essentials console
- View all of the server or MX chassis information conveniently on a large screen, effectively getting the equivalent of a large LCD display on your mobile device
- Reduce the need for cumbersome crash carts by using Android tablet or an iPad to access system console
- For ease-of-use and faster first-time login, simply scan the iDRAC credentials stored in QR code
- Batch update factory default server passwords for Dell EMC PowerEdge 14th generation servers (Dell License Manager 1.5 is needed for this feature)
How to access PowerEdge servers from OpenManage Mobile
OpenManage Mobile can access and manage Dell EMC PowerEdge servers and MX7000 chassis in many different ways - either remotely (over management network), or at-the-server/chassis, or via OpenManage Enterprise/Essentials console:
- Access iDRAC "at-the-server"
PowerEdge servers (14th generation): OMM can access PowerEdge 14th generation servers through Quick Sync 2 module.
Once connected, IT administrators can configure IP addresses & BIOS settings, share Dell EMC SupportAssist reports, view server inventory, health status & logs, or power cycle a server.
Quick Sync 2 module, required for at-the-server access, is currently supported on following PowerEdge severs:
- Rack servers: R940, R940xa, R840, R740, R740xd, R640, R540, R440, R7425, R7415, R6415
- Tower server: T640
PowerEdge servers (13th generation): OMM can access PowerEdge 13th generation servers through the Quick Sync bezel. Once connected, IT administrators can configure IP addresses, view server inventory, health status & logs, or power cycle a server.
Quick Sync bezel is supported on PowerEdge R730, R730xd, and R630 servers.
- Access MX7000 Modular Infrastructure "at-the-Chassis"
OMM can access PowerEdge MX7000 chassis and sleds through Quick Sync 2 module. Once connected, IT administrators can configure, monitor, troubleshoot and remediate the chassis or its sleds.
- Access iDRAC remotely (over management network)
OMM can access PowerEdge servers (12th, 13th, and 14th generation) remotely over management network from anywhere. Once connected, IT administrators can configure IP addresses & BIOS settings, share Dell EMC SupportAssist reports, view server inventory, health status & logs, or power cycle a server.
Note: Features vary by server model & generation.
- Access MX7000 remotely (over managememt network)
OMM can access MX7000 chassis and sleds remotely over management network from anywhere. Once connected, IT administrators can configure IP addresses & BIOS settings, share Dell EMC SupportAssist reports, view server inventory, or health status & logs.
- Access servers remotely through OpenManage Enterprise (OMEnt) and OpenManage Essentials (OME) console
OMM can connect to PowerEdge servers through the OpenManage Enterprise (OMEnt) console (v 3.0 or later) or OpenManage Essentials (OME) console (v 2.3 and later). IT administrators can monitor all systems managed by these consoles including Dell EMC servers, storage, networking, as well as other OME-supported third party hardware. OMM can also receive proactive notifications from these consoles.
For remote access to iDRAC or a console, no additional hardware is required other than Android or iOS devices. For at-the-server access, either Quick Sync 2 module or Quick Sync bezel is needed. At-the-chassis access needs Quick Sync 2 module.
Download OpenManage Mobile from App Stores
OpenManage Mobile is available as a no-charge application download from Apple App Store, Google Play Store, MyApp/Tencent (China) and 360 Mobile Assistant (China):
Overview of OpenManage Mobile features
- Access Methods
- Connect to multiple OpenManage Enterprise and OpenManage Essentials consoles from a single mobile device
- Connect to multiple PowerEdge servers (12th, 13th, and 14th generation) servers and MX7000 chassis/sleds remotely
- Connect to PowerEdge servers (14th generation) through Quick Sync 2 module (Android and iOS)
- Connect to PowerEdge MX7000 chassis and sleds through Quick Sync 2 module (Android and iOS)
- Connect to PowerEdge servers (13th generation) through Quick Sync bezel (Android only)
- Notifications (from OpenManage Enterprise or OpenManage Essentials console)
- Receive critical alert notifications from OMEnt or OME on your mobile device
- Acknowledge, forward and delete alerts from your mobile device
- Browse server details, health status, firmware inventory, system event logs, and LC logs of individual servers. Share/Forward as needed.
- Access and share SupportAssist reports, or crash screens and videos
- Access server warranty information from the mobile device
- Basic server setup & configuration
- Configure one server manually, or multiple servers simultaneously. You can even update the Auto-Update flag in server from OMM. Same is applicable for compute sleds in MX7000 chassis.
- Run RACADM commands and get output directly on the mobile device
- Access system console to view server OS desktops (12th, 13th, and 14th generation). Note: This needs a Third-Party app download from Apple App Store or Google Play Store.
- Perform server management functions such as Power On, Power cycle, Reboot, or Shutdown from the mobile application
- Demo Mode
- Learn the features of OpenManage Mobile by accessing the "Demo Mode". OpenManage Mobile users (customers, technicians, sales, etc.) can preview the capabilities of OpenManage Mobile using an offline, pre-populated "demo database" included in the app.
Key NEW features in OpenManage Mobile v3.1:
- Monitory and manage MX7000 over the network -- This new capability provides anytime and anywhere access to the modular infrastructure. Authenticated users can access a single chassis or gain access to an entire group by accessing the lead chassis.
- Define lead chassis and group settings from OpenManage Mobile – Previously, these settings were completed on a PC console and required a "break" in the deployment process. Now users can define these settings within the one application.
- View SupportAssist Collection report and upload from within OpenManage Mobile – Before this feature, IT administrators would need to upload the SupportAssist Collection report to a PC to view and then send to Dell EMC support. Now, customers can view and send directly from OpenManage Mobile. This feature is also useful when iSM is not installed or is not available (e.g.. if the server is not accessible for any reason).
- Register iDRAC with Dell EMC Support from OpenManage Mobile – OpenManage Mobile users can now register a connected iDRAC with Dell EMC Support directly from the mobile application.
Key NEW features in OpenManage Mobile v3.0:
Access OpenManage Enterprise 3.0 console and manage Dell EMC PowerEdge servers, Chassis, Storage, Networking, Firewall appliances and any other supported third party appliances that are being managed through this console. Receive alert notifications automatically on your mobile device.
Manage the latest MX7000 modular infrastructure at-the-chassis to configure, monitor, troubleshoot and remediate chassis or its sleds
- Usability Enhancements throughout the App
Key Existing features in OpenManage Mobile v2.0:
- Access the new Quick Sync 2 module for at-the-server systems management
- Available for PowerEdge 14th generation servers
- Advanced functionality, including "touch & roam" capabilities for ease-of-use
- Now supported on iOS too (in addition to Android mobile devices)
- Leverages Bluetooth and Wi-Fi technology to connect OMM to iDRAC
- Availability at both Point-of-Sale with servers as well as After-Point-of-Sale (Point-of-sale highly recommended).
- Located internally within the server (not a bezel anymore)
- Perform manual and batch server configurations*
Assign IP addresses, change iDRAC credentials and NIC configuration, change boot order, update location or key BIOS attributes.
* Please note that the batch server configuration feature is primarily available for PowerEdge 14th generation servers. Features vary by server generation and access method.
- Access SupportAssist reports for PowerEdge 14th generation servers
Access and share SupportAssist reports, last boot capture or crash video; View and share last crash or the OS preview screen.
- Run RACADM commands to access and manage PowerEdge 13th and 14th generation servers
Run any RACADM command and obtain the output directly on the mobile device. Five frequently used RACADM commands are pre-entered in the application and can be initiated with the touch of a finger on the mobile display.
- Access a Virtual Console (VNC over SSH) securely
Access a console securely over SSH from both Android and iOS mobile devices
bVNC for Android (available free on Google Play Store)
Remotix for iOS (available for purchase on Apple App Store)
- Batch update factory default server passwords for Dell EMC PowerEdge servers (Dell License Manager 1.5 is needed for this feature)
- Available for PowerEdge 14th generation servers
Overview / Customer Presentation (Note: OpenManage Mobile 3.1 customer presentation will be available shortly)
Hardware / App Requirements
- Mobile device running Android OS v6.0 or later OR iOS 10.0 or later
- OME v2.3 or later management console (for remote access to servers through OME and notifications to mobile devices)
- PowerEdge 14th, 13th, or 12th generations servers (for 1:1 remote connection through IDRAC)
- PowerEdge MX7000 – with the combo LCD/Quick Sync 2 module (for at-the-chassis management)
- PowerEdge 14th generation servers - R940, R940xa, R840, R740, R740xd, R640, R540, R440, R7425, R7415, R6415, T640 - with Quick Sync 2 module (for at-the-server management)
- PowerEdge 13th generation servers - R730, R730xd, R630 with Quick Sync Bezel (for at-the-server management)
OpenManage Mobile User Guides
(for Android and iOS)
White Paper "Understanding OpenManage Mobile and Quick Sync Security - PowerEdge 14th Gen servers and MX Chassis"
White Paper "Understanding Quick Sync 2 for Dell EMC PowerEdge 14th Gen Servers and MX7000 Chassis"
White Paper "Accessing Remote Desktop using VNC on Dell PowerEdge Servers and MX7000 Modular Infrastructure"
"Save Server Management Time and Effort for IT Staff" – A paper by Principled Technologies, and sponsored by Dell EMC
iDRAC Quick Sync bezel Technical Guide (PowerEdge 13th generation)
OpenManage Mobile Forum -
Have a question or feedback on OMM. Start a discussion here.