Printer Troubleshooting Steps and Procedures
Note: The following steps apply to all brands of printers.
- When connected by a USB cable, reseat both ends of the cable going from the computer to the printer.
- Restart the computer.
- Turn the printer off.
- Unplug the printer power cord from the A/C outlet or surge protector and wait at least 30 seconds.
- Plug the printer power cord back into the A/C outlet or surge protector.
- Turn the printer back on.
- Print a test page. For instructions on how to print a test page from Windows, click the link below that corresponds to the Operating System that is installed on the computer.
- When the page prints successfully no further actions are required.
- Make sure the desired printer is set as the default printer.
- Press and hold the Windows key and then press the r key.
- In the Run box type, shell:PrintersFolder and then touch or click OK.
- Touch or click to highlight the desired printer.
- Touch and hold or right-click the desired printer.
- Touch or click Set as default printer.
Note: When Set as default printer in not an option, it normally means the printer is already set as the default printer and usually has a check mark next to it.
- For networked printers (connected by a wireless or wired network and not a USB cable) make sure the computer is on the network and the printer portal settings and IP address are correct. (For instructions on how to make sure the computer is on the network and the printer portal settings and IP address are correct, click the link below that corresponds to the Operating System that is installed on the computer.)
- Run the Printer troubleshooter to diagnose and automatically correct any printer spooler issues. For more information, refer to the Dell Knowledge Base article How to Resolve Printer Spooler Errors.
- Print a test page.
See the instructions detailed above.
Back to Top
Non-Dell Printer Drivers, Manuals, and Support
- Uninstall the printer driver, download and install the latest printer driver.
For additional support, drivers, and manuals for your non-Dell printer(s), contact the printer manufacturer.