This is blog #2 in our series and will focus on enhancements to Dell EMC Data Domain, a leader in Purpose Built Backup Appliances (PBBA).
What a start to the year 2019! Dell EMC Data Domain delivers another feature packed software release (Data Domain OS 6.2) with hardware component enablement. The key themes for this release are:
- Dell EMC Data Domain DD3300 Enhancements: We acted on the feedback from our customers related to DD3300, and are proud to announce faster networking, support for VTL use case over Fiber Channel, and more flexibility from a capacity upgrade perspective by introducing a new DD3300 model at 8TB that can grow-in-place up to 16TB, and provides a clean upgrade path to 32TB on a single box.
- Increased Differentiation: We made significant strides in improving performance – single stream restore performance has improved up to 4X compared to the previous release (Data Domain OS 6.1.2), and so has the overall restore performance. We have expanded our Cloud data ecosystem for both Dell EMC Cloud Tier and Dell EMC Data Domain Virtual Edition (DD VE) with support for Google Cloud Platform and Alibaba Cloud. In addition, DD VE also supports AWS GovCloud and Azure Government Cloud.
- Simplified Experience: Better management through automation and end-to-end data protection visibility with Dell EMC Data Domain Management Center (DD MC)
- Serviceability and TCE enhancements: Get more from your Dell EMC Data Domain appliances
Purpose Built Backup Appliance (PBBA) Features
We have made major strides with respect to performance – improving overall restore and single-stream restore performance. We can now run Dell EMC Data Domain Management Center (DD MC) on KVM, and also support LDAP for user access.
- Restore and Recall Improvements: Overall restore performance improved across both tiers, active and cloud. No user intervention is needed; it just comes automagically with Data Domain OS 6.2. Upgrade your Data Domain appliances with Data Domain OS 6.2 and you’ll experience better performance.
- DD MC on KVM: DD MC can now integrate with your neighborhood LDAP systems. This is about making things easy while using DD MC. Our customers wanted DD MC on open source software, and now with Data Domain OS 6.2 customers can install and run DD MC on KVM. With the expansion of the cloud ecosystem to support Alibaba Cloud and GCP, DD MC now also supports these additional cloud providers giving you broader visibility.
- Secure LDAP for User Access: LDAP can be used to authenticate users who can manage a Data Domain OS system. LDAP, in previous versions of Data Domain OS, has been used to setup NFS. This now extends to user access.
Serviceability and TCE Improvements
- Support Bundle Size Management: Ability to configure files and data to be collected and sent home. This reduces the payload, time and network usage for events that do not require a full dump of the logs.
- Core Size Management: Reducing the amount of data sent during significant events to only what is required to triage the issue.
In summary, Data Domain OS 6.2 is a very feature packed release that brings a lot of value to our customers. We hope that you will consider upgrading your Data Domain appliances with the latest Data Domain OS 6.2. To learn more about Dell EMC Data Domain, check out the first blog in our series, view the Dell EMC Data Domain home page, read Data Protection blogs, and follow @DellEMCProtect on Twitter for our latest announcements and content.
Video: Dell EMC Data Protection Appliance Launch Broadcast
Blog: Dell EMC Data Protection Appliance Announcement
Infographic: Dell EMC Data Protection Appliances
The third and final blog in this series will focus on enhancements to the Data Domain DD3300 appliance – a small, compact 2U appliance very apt for the mid-sized organizations. Check back on March 6th for more information or talk with your Sales Rep for the full story today!