Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

T

4 Posts

March 25th, 2023 18:00

XPS 9230 Cannot Detect Integrated Camera

(I'm copying my post from the Microsoft forum, as they sent me to Dell...)

I have a Dell XPS 9230 laptop with integrated Intel AVStream camera. Until last week, when I upgraded to Windows 11, the camera worked properly. Now, it no longer works on any OS version. I have tried numerous software fixes (enumerated below), and even went so far as to replace the entire screen/camera hardware assembly, to no avail.

Symptoms:

• When when I launch the Camera app, I receive "error code 0xA00F4244".
  • Windows Hello Face tells me "We couldn't find a camera compatible."
  • Any app that attempts to use the camera finds none.
  • In Device Manager, the camera hardware IS listed and the status says "The device is working properly."

System Info:

• Hardware: Dell XPS 9230
  • OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2, build 19045.2728 (current install), originally observed with Windows 11
  • Camera: Intel AVStream
  • Camera driver: v42.17134.3.10744 (current install)
    Note: With older v42.17134.3.10471, same issue. With newest v63.22000.3.9848, same issue but Device Manager indicated "This device cannot start. (Code 10) The I/O device is configured incorrectly or the configuration parameters to the driver are incorrect."

Fixes attempted:

1. Ran Windows Camera Troubleshooter.
  2. Ensured all windows updates have been installed.
  3. Checked privacy settings for camera.
  4. Reset camera app.
  5. Rolled back camera driver in Device Manager.
  6. Manually updated all graphics & Intel drivers to the latest versions.
  7. Uninstalled camera from Device Manager.
  8. Ran SFC and DISM to check and repair Windows files.
  9. Rolled back to Windows 10.
  10. Confirmed camera is enabled in BIOS, toggled off and on to be sure.
  11. Updated BIOS.
  12. Completely reimaged, removing all data, with a fresh install of Windows 10.
  13. Installed a brand new screen and integrated camera hardware assembly.

There's probably a few I'm forgetting. There's been no physical abuse or modifications to this computer (prior to the screen/camera replacement for this issue). Device manager sees the camera but no other application does.

Appreciate any other ideas I can try!

4 Posts

March 25th, 2023 18:00

This seems to be a frequent problem with Dell XPS systems. These posts across the Dell forum all describe similar, unresolved camera not detected issues:

July 27th, 2023 05:00

Hey, do you still have the issue?

If yes, I found a fix for it. I was basically having the same issue as you on my XPS 15 9500. I had basically tried all the solution listed, Including a clean install, but no fix.

However, then I formed my own solution using a mix and match of several other online solution.

What you have to do is go to your device manager:

- click on "Action"
- then choose "Add legacy hardware"
- then choose the option to manually select from list
- Scroll to and select "Imaging Devices"
- From the list select "SCSI scanner Device"

Now in your Device manger there will be imaging device listed and under it will be the scanner device with a yellow triangle on in. So you will now:

- Right click on the snanner device
- Select Update Driver 
- then "Browse my computer for drivers"
- then select the option to let you pick from a list
- untick the "Show compatible driver"
- Then under the manufacturer section, select "Generic"
- Then select "Generic 1394 Desktop Camera" (Yours might not have the same number as me but it's fine as long as it has the words Desktop Camera in its name)

Now your camera should show up. However, there is one more thing to do still. 

- Press "Window + R" on your keyboard
- Type "regedit" in the window that pops up and then press enter
- Go into the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" folder
- Then inside that folder look for the "SOFTWARE" folder
- Then inside that folder look for the "Microsoft" folder
- Then inside that folder look for the "Microsoft Media Foundation" folder
- Then inside that folder look for the "Platform" folder select it
- On the window to the right, right click in the empty space and selectnew
- Then select "DWORD (32-bit) Value"
- Name it "EnableFrameServerMode"
- Now right click the "EnableFrameServerMode" and select "modify"
- Set the data value to 0 (leave it as is if its already 0)
- Close everything and restart your system

This worked for me and hopefully should works for you too!

4 Posts

July 27th, 2023 17:00

Ahmed,

Thank you for the reply. I did try your suggestion, however, it did not work for me. Of note for anyone else who may try it, I had to modify your regedit path slightly to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Media Foundation\Platform

and for good measure also added the DWORD to 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows Media Foundation\Platform

I also purchased a "One time support Incident" ($129) from Dell to try to resolve the issue. After 3 frustrating hours online with a technician remoted into my desktop, I strongly do NOT recommend this service. The technician wanted to give up after trying fewer solutions than I tried myself, primarily relied on the Dell troubleshooting tool (which wasn't working initially and I had to force him to reinstall rather than give up without even trying), and ultimately claimed it was a hardware issue. I am confident they did not troubleshoot sufficiently to rule out a software issue. I did at least get a refund.

August 17th, 2023 14:18

@tlbratt

​Hey so turns out the previous solution didn't really fix anything the next day the laptop camera was back to the missing status. However, a few days back I re-did a clean install of Windows 11 and idk if this a new version or what it worked. At first the camera was not working then later I went into Settings >Privacy & Security > Windows security > App & browser control. Then under the Reputation-based protection section select Reputation-based protection settings and scroll to Potentially unwanted app and turn that off.

NEXT STEP IS TO BE DONE AFTER YOU HAVE TURNED OFF THE SETTING MENTIONED ABOVE!

Next go to Device Manager and scroll to Universal Serial Bus controllers you will see a device there with an error named something like " Unkown USB bla bla..." I don't remember the exact wording. However right click it then:

- Select Update Driver 
- then "Browse my computer for drivers"
- then select the option to let you pick from a list
- untick the "Show compatible driver"
- Then in the Standard USB Host Controllers section, scroll down to and select "USB Composite device"

Your camera should work now. However, note you might have to do the device manager step every time you restart. In my case sometimes It already works and sometimes I have to do the device manger thingy again. 

I'm sorry for the pervious reply. I got too excited and wrote the reply immediately without testing it for a longer duration and it stopped working the next day, My bad about that. However, I've tested this method for a week now and it seems to work without any problems every time. 

I keep replying and updating you cuz I face this issue myself and I know the amount of time I have wasted trying to fix it and the problems it causes. So, I feel your pain T_T.
So do let me know how it goes.

No Events found!